Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Can i use hope floating rotors with avid brakes?
  • bomberman
    Free Member

i fancy some floating rotors for my avid brakes just to bling it up a bit. Would i get away with replacing a 185 with a 180/183mm floating rotor?

tinsy
    Free Member

yep, no problem, the 180 is getting a bit small but a 183 isnt going to hurt… beware the noggins that hold the floating bit to the centre can cause clearance issues, but a dremel on the adaptor sorts it.

But they do make a 185mm (I think)

sharki
    Free Member

what tinsy said, but dinner plates here..

owenfackrell
    Free Member

When i had avids i used to run floating rotors but i did use 180 adaptors with washers spacing it out to 183 as i ended up with a ridge on the pad where it didn’t contact the rotor on the stock avid 185 mounts.
    You do have to remove some of the adaptor/mount where they foul the rivets i also used to remove the arms on the pads as they would catch the rivets when they started to get low.

bomberman
    Free Member

all good advice, sounds like a bit of tweaking is all thats needed. Owen how did you get a 180mm adaptor for your avids? or will any adaptor fit? I was thinking about swapping the conical washers round on the caliper to bring it down from 185 to 183mm to get around the groove problem…

bomberman
    Free Member

and also will a hope rotor give me as much grab as a G2 clean sweep? using BB7s?

Ambrose

As above, but also be aware that you may get a lip developing on the pad’s outer edge if the whole pad isnt in contact with the disc. It needs to be filed away periodicaly- if the two pads overlap the disc and then meet your braking is severely reduced. Cue Ambrose hurtling down to Lac Vert with dirty shorts 🙁

bomberman
    Free Member

Are v2 rotors thicker than normal rotors? they do a 185mm rotor but the 183mm v2 is what i’m after. thinking i can mess with the mount washers to get 3mm off.

Travis

searching for an answer, can I use Shimano Rotors with Avid Juicys ?

I've got a pair of training wheels, so they are going to have to use the Shimano Centre Lock thingy, so was wondering the above.

Thanks

Happy Chinese New Year

khani
    Free Member

ran formula biancos with mini/m4 floating rotors and the rivets on the rotor fouled the pads now run moto v2 floaters and they clear the rivets fine, v2 rotors have a deeper braking surface so no fouling issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Can i use hope floating rotors with avid brakes?’ is closed to new replies.