Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can I shim a square taper crank arm on to a axle?(pic)
  • postierich
    Free Member

Fubbarred this today thought it was play in my spds!
    Could i use coke can strips to bodge it to get me through the winter or has anyone got a spare Middleburn or anything simular in silver.
    Bolts need to be tighten every mile or so

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I have done so in the past without major problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can't see it working myself – the shim does not correct the shape of the crank and you are putting a lot of force through a slim piece of crap aluminium.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Could i use coke can strips to bodge it to get me through the winter

Yup. It work very well. Last time I did it, it lasted a couple of years. Cut the shim, and then threadlock the bolt in, as tight as you can get it!
    🙂

EDIT
    Although, it has to be said, this is THE reason I don't use SQ taper cranks any more…..

scruff
    Free Member

Gears alleviate the problem. 😀

wwaswas

bench and decking could do with a clean 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I tried it with no success. whats the worst that can happen? it won't work. It won't be a catastrophic failure if it fails.

One of the higher grades of locktite might work – bearing fit or similar

al – the shim will be in compression so does not require much mechanical stregnth

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You can file the tapers flat again too. Reduces chances of slippage. I've done this a few times just a little of get rid of an irritating creak.

turboferret

Saw quite a bit of this when I was at Middleburn. IME once you run cranks loose, that's it, they'll never be the same. Never tried shimming or filing though.

Give Matt a ring on 01420 520223 and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal on a replacement arm.

Cheers, Rich

martp
    Free Member

this happened to me last winter found furtsy ferret can (maybe a bit thicker tin) to be the be solution 😉 what size crank is 180mm ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

al – the shim will be in compression so does not require much mechanical stregnth

I know! Crap alloy = easier to squash though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yep, my RS3's had this happen, still gutted as they are just beautiful. Shame, as i've bitten into harder chocolate in my time.

rootes1

try assembling the crank onto the spindle with some 'bearing fit (loctite 641)' and once tightened up, leave to set for the required time.

worked on industrial pump impellor shaft intefaces as a temp solution

postierich
    Free Member

Will have ago @shimming to see how it goes and the loctite,luckily Mistermouse has a spare as he has fubarred his drive side.

BigJohn

A Birmingham screwdriver should be used to assemble it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Used to do the coke can thing all the time in me youth.6ft drops to flat+no suspension+cheapo square taper cranks=Not much joy.Happy days.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can I shim a square taper crank arm on to a axle?(pic)’ is closed to new replies.