Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Can i borrow a campag 10s shifter?
  • stoney
    Free Member

After reading this…..

http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404

I was wondering if anyone has a Campag 10s Ergo shifter that i can borrow to try this with? I will pay for postage and stuff and i recon it would be returned in 4/5 days…

Its a long shot but if its possible it would save me buying a set on the chance it does`nt work…..

Can anyone help ❓ PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE 😉

dobo
    Free Member

i would be interested in knowing if this works as i have some 10s ergo shifters, but sorry i’m not taking them off the bike for an experiment. feel free to send me a sram red mech and 10s cassette and i’ll let you know if it does.

stoney
    Free Member

Cheers dobo,

Thats not a bad idea actually as i can remove the mech and cassette from the tt bike for now as the season hasnt started yet…

Can you send your e-mail or something?

I`ll be in touch mate…

clubber
    Free Member

Cool. I’m already using campag 10 speed ergos with shimano 9 speed cassette and rear mech with the hubbub fix which works well but this would allow 10 speed which I fancy. Anyone confirm that this would also works with say an x9 rear mech?

stoney
    Free Member

No reason why not as once upon a time i was using Campag 8 speed shifters with Dura Ace hub and cassette…

dobo
    Free Member

Stoney i think i can do better than that, kinda

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946#Shiftratio

The ctc website confirms that the 27mm cable pull is as near as damn correct e.g. the ctc website lists 2.8mm cable pull compared to your link showing 3mm cable pull (so that confirms that hes measured the campy cable pull pretty well)

So all you need is for somebody on this website to measure and confirm the cable pull on a 10 speed sram red system to be as close to 25.2 to 27mm cable pull and in theory it should work

clubber
    Free Member

Aparently the road and mtb stuff is cross compatible:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-road-mtb-cross-compatibility

taxi25
    Free Member

YGM

stoney
    Free Member

Recieved / replied….Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on!

stoney
    Free Member

Will Do.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I be intrested in this as well, I got a full Chourus groupset for sale, as I don’t really get on with the shifters, thinking of replacing with SRAM groupset.
    SO if you get CAmpag levers to work with SRAM mech. One would think you could have SRAM levers work with Campag Mechs……maybe

stoney
    Free Member

So, the results!!!! It works!!!!! 😛 (i`d say 80% with what i had)

This does seem to work quite well considering i was holding the shifter in 1 hand and then pushing the lever click, pedal, click, pedal etc….Bearing in mind that the cable was`nt fastened ridgid and had potential to move slightly as my hand moved….. I said 80%….This means that it was down to the final 1/4 turn on the adjusters…however as nothing was “fixed” in a permanent position then that is the best i could get.
    The gears did shift well and only had very minor chain rattle (as if trying to change up/down). I`m sure this would be sorted with permanent fixing to the bars and frame…..

So, thus concludes my test…And it will work IMHO !!!! 😉

And thanks to Taxi25 for the loan of the shifters, I`ll be in touch to sort out the rest…

Thanks…..

karnali
    Free Member

stoney

can i just check i’ve got this right. I can stick on some campag centaur or veloce 10 spd shifter brake units, and an sram apex mech and it will work with my current shimano 10 spd cassette. this could be good for the cross bike.

i am assuming the apex mech wont work with a shimano shifter?

cheers

mattsccm
    Free Member

Comes as no surprise as the differences in travel are less than the flex in a chain. I am currently running 10 speed Campag shifters with a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Its fine. 9 speed campag mech at the moment but I have used all sorts including a ’70’s Record mech. The only issue I have is that veloce front shifters are not a fine tuneable as the better ones and my triple chain set isn’t perfect. the fact that I am using a double BB may be bringing things in a bit close those.
    Anyone want to shift some better 10 speed Ergo’s?

dobo
    Free Member

i would be looking to do exactly the same as karnali for my cross bike.
    stoney results are positive but would need a proper test ride result under load before i splashed out on extras.
    As they are not made for each other its possible that at one end or the other the shifting could be out as campy shifting is not uniform like sram but the tolerance could be good enough to work.

stoney
    Free Member

karnali,I dont see why not! Im assuming all sram/shimano mechs will work the same and are compatible
    Dobo, It worked with the set up i had as in the pic…Im afraid i didnt get the chance to try it “on the road” but i recon it will be fine as the shift was quite accurate even with my hand moving around….. In this instance it was OK!. It would seem that Campag shifters will work as years ago i was running campag 8 speed on Dura Ace hubs and cassette and it worked fine.

LMK how you get on!!!

clubber
    Free Member

Cool.

Right, need to get a mtb 10 speed SRAM mech and 10sp cassette!

clubber
    Free Member

Btw SRAM and shimano won’t mix directly – very different cable pull.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Can i borrow a campag 10s shifter?’ is closed to new replies.