Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Can I adapt my 1997 P7 to run discs?
  • dexterbexley
    Free Member

I want to run discs on my 1997 Orange P7 – anyone suggest a bodge?

I really don't want to fork out £450 for a new frame…

Ta
    Matt

Mackem

I really think just a front disk and a V on the back is enough.

BlingBling
    Free Member

A2Z disk adaptor?

GaryLake
    Free Member
    carlosg
    Free Member

Crikey £50 to weld a disc mount on not including the mount!

where in the country are you ? I had a mount welded onto an aluminium frame a few years ago at Chris Marshall cycles in Keighley (yorkshire) for £45 including the mount from Hope this included heat treating too, it can't have gone up by much if you're near give him a call 01535691073.

coatesy
    Free Member

If you do get it done, also get a brace between the stays put in, a couple of mates had disc mounts fitted to early P7 frames not designed for them and eventually the seatstays folded.

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Anyone know of a frame builder in Sussex/South East that can weld a disc brake mount/brace on?

tog575
    Free Member

I asked Orange about this and they said welding something onto the frame would weaken it as it has been heat treated or something. A2z adapters don't fit say woollyhat shop- the only other option was a woodman disco, which uses the existing brake post and dropout. very expensive. A nice set of v brakes do a pretty good job tho

tandemwarriors

Other alternative is the old style Hope universal caliper that bolts into the dropout with a hollow bolt

It then runs a torque arm up to the brake boss. It only runs a 155mm disc but I used it on my X2 then P7. Works best with a Hope hub because it needs a modified axle.

Have it all sitting in the garage if you're interested.

Rob

dexterbexley
    Free Member

Thanks for the help but think I might use it as an excuse to buy a new P7…

Anyone got a 21" P7 for sale?!?

chrisd
    Free Member

There's a 20" one on classified at the moment I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Can I adapt my 1997 P7 to run discs?’ is closed to new replies.