Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can't get on with Nobby Nic's…what to try next?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Been out round Rivington again w/Nobby Nic’s…more pinch flats, dispite the tyres being pumped up pretty hard, think I’ve had enough of them. I like ’em, but I’m sick of pinch flats, what else can I try which are similar, but less prone to pinch flats?

honourablegeorge

What type of NNs?

I’ve used the Evo Snakeskins on two bikes (well three, I sold a frame and replaced it) for about four years with hardly any punctures.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ll give you some pounds for ’em… 😉

What size are they? You might be better off getting the 2.4s if yours are smaller.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

What size tubes are you using? Are they being asked to fill a tyre that bigger than the recommended size for the tube?

lodious
    Free Member

Think they 2.25’s.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Go tubeless 🙂

this_wreckage
    Free Member

If you like expensive tyres, I can recommend Conti Rubber Queens in black chilli, I’ve found them excellent over everything except tarmac where they’re just a shade draggy.

I ditched my NN’s earlier in the year. Wish I’d have done it sooner instead of persevering for as long as I did… so many great reviews and yet, I just could not get on with them!

Northwind

Not really a fan of the NN either, at least not at full price, they wear stupidly fast and once the blocks have lost their edges they stop gripping.

Specialized’s Eskar is fairly similiar- a little slower, but a little grippier too. Better on the back than the front. And they seem not to wear at all (my original one has more use on it than my Nobby Nic managed in its whole lifespan, yet barely looks used)

elaineanne
    Free Member

i had nobby nics last winter.. they didnt last very long ??? i think they are mud collectors too…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’m an average-to-numpty MTBer – and find the Eskars run tubeless hugely better than the NNs

steve_b77
    Free Member

How strange, I’ve got a 2.25″ NN on the front of my FS and think it’s a great tyre.

Run tubeless and flats are non-existent (cue me ripping a big hole in it next time out) run it with a Racing Ralph out back for most of the year, but might need to put a NN back out back soon.

Erm, try Ardents, my mate loves them on his Five

jedi

i been using rubber queens since going tubeless 2 weeks ago. nice! although i got one to burp air on a drop 🙁
    need harder tyres for herts

james
    Free Member

“Specialized’s Eskar is fairly similiar”
    I’d have thought (from my armchair) they’re more like fat alberts(/2.4″ alberts?). The shear size (massive 2.3″) could catch you out if dont’ have lots of frame clearance (or wide-ish rims)

I’m guessing you’ve not got ‘snakeskin’ versions. IIRC Schwalbe only offer snakeskin on Nobby Nics in 2.4″
    If you want to go a touch chunkier tread, snakeskin, but not have to go above 2.25, I’ve got on really well with Schwalbe Alberts this year. On-one hasn’t got any of the dual compound ones left somewhat less than RRP.
    Having said that I think I’m probably overdue putting mud tyres on (though its only the almost bald rear thats making me think I should – the front has been pretty good for a non mud tyre)

Northwind

james – Member

(massive 2.3)

Eskars come in just slightly under 2.3. They only seem massive because we’re so used to bigger lies 😉

james
    Free Member

I realise that. 2.5″ maxxis for eg ..

I was thinking about getting some 2.3″ eskars to replace my 2.25″ advantages (which I thought were big for a 2.25″) until I wheeled my bike upto an eskar’d enduro. Way bigger
    Admitedly the 2.3″ eskars would have been on slightly wider rims but even so

RS4KEV

definite marmite tyre, can’t get on with them but others rave. running maxxis hr front/crossmark rear tubeless but rear needs something more mud orientated now.

got a nice shiny (well not actually) NN evo tubeless 2.25 if any takers…..

bigjim

I love my 2.25 nobby nic on the front, tubeless and snakeskin and no problems whatsoever. I bought a 2.25 advantage to try on the front but it ain’t as big as the nobby nic and has gone on the back for now.

james
    Free Member

“I love my 2.25 nobby nic on the front, tubeless and snakeskin and no problems whatsoever. I bought a 2.25 advantage to try on the front but it ain’t as big as the nobby nic “

Really?
    My 2.25″ Advantage is noticably bigger than my schwalbe 2.25″ albert )I thought schwalbe sizing was pretty consistent? Maybe not then?

bruneep

shirley it depends on what rim the tyre is on!

FWIW I like the NN’s tubeless.

Northwind

bruneep – Member

shirley it depends on what rim the tyre is on!

Much less than you’d think.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

If you get a lot of pinch flats perhaps you run pressures too low or the tyre is too flimsy for you and your riding? The Nobby Nic’s are only 550g-600g plus tyres right? Like a lot of the Continental tyres e.g. Mountain King?

I love my Prowler SS 2.3 (rear) and Stout 2.3 (front) combo and wish I had bought more of them when CRC had them for silly money. They are heavy at +800g but they rarely ever puncture with my 100 miles (50 of which is commuting) per week and 15 stone bodyweight. I also like my Spesh Eskars, which are light at 700g ish, but the Stout outperforms the Eskar on the front and the Prowler SS wears MUCH slower than an Eskar. Can’t believe the Prowler SS never caught on, it’s very much like a Kenda Small Block or Larsen TT, but much more mountain bikey….

I prefer a bit of pressure in the rear to be honest. 50-55 psi. When I went too soft, like 35, the bike got slower and I ended up putting the 5.1’s a little bit wibbly. Plus I got more pinch punctures. In front I stick in 35 psi.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 2.5 (more like a 2.3) single ply Minion DHF and a 2.25 aDvantage R
    loads of grip and enough volume to smooth out rocks and take impacts.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Rs 4 Kev. I’ve tried to email you reference the tyre but your email address doesn’t appear to work. How much do you want for the nobby nic

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can't get on with Nobby Nic's…what to try next?’ is closed to new replies.