Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can anyone tell me what these are please?
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

My property is bordered by a commercial distribution business, the wall that holds up their land has collapsed, i am in discusion about them about rebuilding this wall. Being a good neighbour i said i would dig out the spill so they would have an easier job rebuilding, they are keen to spend as little as possible. After starting to dig out i discovered quite a few what looked like batteries, i believe there could be hundreds, identifying them will influence whether i call evironmental health on Monday morning, any help appreciated, bombers are an option.
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cE_Lalf6I8FqsZ4XZzoTlFRQE4Qu0bgdJT1LAhjn-Ek=s197-p-no[/img]

jag61

they certainly look like batteries, but could easily be a can of worms Id say stop digging find and out who actually owns the land are the premises leased? just guessing like but contaminated ground could be Very expensive to clean up! EH best bet for peace of mind could there be any of this under your garden? ££££££ (BTW Not an expert ( in anything))

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I reckon they’re definitely not cans of worms!

honeybadgerx

From a contaminated land perspective it is the responsibility of the landowner to deal with any current or past contaminative sources on their land, so even if the batteries do not relate to anything the landowner has done, if they are on their land it is their responsibility to make safe ( note making safe does not necessarily mean removal). Your council will have a contaminated land officer and I would highly recommend getting them involved as they will want to be assured that the area is properly dealt with. Let me know how you get on and I’ll try to help if I can.

zippykona

You’ll struggle to cell your house with that in the garden.
    In fact I reckon the situation is terminal.

wingnuts

Is that a positive or negative response zippy.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Chernobyl death-cubes. Do not eat.

cvilla

No idea from pics; but sounds like a retaining wall, check who’s responsibility and also sounds like a party wall matter. If their land and their wall, pass it back to them; the retaining wall probably need structural calc’s to make sure it does not fall down again and also drainage to allow water to drain freely and not build up.
    See what can happen pic below: It’s a wall in the local village, the house owners insurance did NOT cover this! Luckily the car owner was not in the car at the time!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Look a bit like spent Uranium rod terminals!
    Have you got a Geiger counter handy?

yunki
    Free Member

are they baby robins?

epicyclo

Bear in mind if it is contamination, you may have the same problem.

It may be best not to know if it is actually contamination, because if you ever want to sell your house you may be obliged to disclose it.

Maybe best to quietly chuck it all back over the boundary and say no more. 🙂

On the other hand, maybe there’s enough for you to open a pit and start selling heavy metals…

shermer75
    Free Member

Can someone post a link to the baby robin thread? The constant referencing is driving me crazy! 🙂

maccruiskeen

I don’t think there ever has been a baby robin thread. There have just been many threads where items have fleetingly been mistaken for a baby robin. These aren’t baby robins – they are Zelda’s Cubes. The confusion this case arrises because both the Cubes and baby robins are mortal enemies of the Zeroids.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Thanks honeybadgerx, if they are just lead acid batteries i’m happy for them to clear whats there and rebuild the wall, i was hoping someone could identify what type of batteries they are so i could make that decision.
    I’ll assume everyone else has been out in the sun drinking beer. :mrgreen:

project
    Free Member

when i was a kid we used to play next to a railway embankment, on which was a large wooden box,it wqs full of similar batteries used for track circuits and when they had reached the end of their life where thrown down the bank,where we had fun smashing them open.

project
    Free Member

Also environment agency will be best to approach they love stuff like that.

welshfarmer

If they are lead acid cells then get them dug up and pay a visit to your local scrapyard. Probably a few hundred quids worth if you get a good load 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Look like the batteries that come with the lights from dx! 😉

toemul
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re not land mines have tried hitting one with shovel to make sure.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Thanks project i think you’ve nailed it, an old railway line used to run across the land above the wall, probably signaling batteries.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. 😕

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

I would be collecting them up and getting them to the scrappy!!! Last trip was 300 per tonne on batteries and one car batt weighs on average 19kg do the math!!!

samuri
    Free Member

Hey! Someone made a nice looking Peugeot.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone tell me what these are please?’ is closed to new replies.