Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can anyone suggest a decent affordable restaurant / pub food in Oxford please?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Hi as above really – going to visit there with my girlfriend and we would like some locals to suggest somewhere good to eat midweek – nothing too flash or extravagent !

I thank you in advance !

Cheers

Paul

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Nosebag has always been a nice spot.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Thank you !

ElShalimo

The Punter, by the Thames on a residential street just outside centre. Nice beer and pub grub

pdw
    Free Member

Chester Arms, on Chester St off Iffley Road.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just get down the Cowley Road. Atomic Burger is awesome.

pictonroad

Loads of stuff on Cowley Road, atomic burger is great if you’re after a novelty environment and decent burgers. The punter on Osney Island is nice, but I’d say it’s expensive.

I just park at intend of Cowley Road and stop when something takes my fancy.

dragon
    Free Member

Cowley Road as visitor from out of town is a bit of a dump and not very central. I’d go more Little Clarendon St. / Walton St. area.

If you really want to do the tourist thing then the King’s Arms or Turf Tavern. They will be proper bog standard pub food mind.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Gardners Arms, Jericho

Gardners Arms website-linky

Does damn fine food at reasonable prices, with great beer too. It’s veggie only. Not-usually-my-bag at all.

But it’s damn fine veggie stuff.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

atomic burger also do pizzas, with eclectic but very tasty toppings

http://www.atomicburger.co.uk/pizza-menu/

Pierre Victoire on Little Clarendon is reasonably priced (and a little bit more romantic/posh) and every time I’ve been there I’ve had really good food and service (including when they were absolutely rammed full and they knew I was paying with a raffle prize voucher). Duke of Cambridge a couple of doors away has a happy hour with half price cocktails, offset with a high Tarquin content…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pZS4jdI-o[/video]

badnewz
    Free Member

The Gardeners Arms is probably my favourite pub (in Clarkson tone), in the world.

timc
    Free Member

I’m not local but visited The White Rabbit earlier this year & thought it was great! Pizza & Ale!

Defender
    Free Member

I used to go to Brown’s some years ago, not been recently though.
    IIRC you needed to book ahead on popular nights eg. Friday, Saturday, Sunday etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to go to Brown’s some years ago, not been recently though.
    IIRC you needed to book ahead on popular nights eg. Friday, Saturday, Sunday etc.

Used to be my regular lunch stop in Oxford, but had gone a little downhill when I last went (Admittedly about three years ago!)

Defender
    Free Member

Used to be my regular lunch stop in Oxford, but had gone a little downhill when I last went (Admittedly about three years ago!)

Not a direct result of yoir visits I trust?
    I think the last one I went to was in Windsor.

pictonroad

Just had a burger in the punter. Bloody hell that was nice, best burger I’ve had in years. It was £12 for a double burger n’ chips.

Miguelo

Another vote for the punter.

Macgyver

Always find this type of post interesting being a local. Was in the punter last week but did not eat. They’ve been pretty good in the past. There’s a bloody good Chinese on Walton Street next to Londis.
    Gardeners Arms is ace.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

White Rabbit cannot be forgiven for replacing the Gloucester Arms.

bombjack
    Free Member

White Rabbit cannot be forgiven for replacing the Gloucester Arms.

T’was an awesome rock pub. Was even better when they used to offer a 10oz gammon steak burger with unlimited chips for a fiver. Then let you double up to a 20oz monster for an extra £2.
    Best jukebox in the world also.

timidwheeler

Did the Punter used to be Walter Mitty’s?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

they used to offer a 10oz gammon steak burger with unlimited chips for a fiver. Then let you double up to a 20oz monster for an extra £2.

Sounds like a quality establishment, no doubt attracting a discerning clientele!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone suggest a decent affordable restaurant / pub food in Oxford please?’ is closed to new replies.