Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Cameron talks about Easter and god etc
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

“I find a little bit of peace and hopefully a bit of guidance,” he added.

Anybody who needs guidance from an imaginary friend shouldn’t be allowed out on their own, never mind being in charge of the frigging country!

Article here

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26986002

Cougar

he says: “Easter is not just a time for Christians across our country to reflect, but a time for our whole country to reflect on what Christianity brings to Britain.”

I wonder how many Muslims will be doing that, then.

He speaks of the “countless acts of kindness” carried out every day across the UK by “those who believe in and follow Christ”.

Probably as many as those who don’t. Far as I’m aware “being kind” and “following Christ” are not codependent.

johnners
    Free Member

I find it difficult to believe Cameron has any genuine religious beliefs but somebody in Central Office must have worked out the demographics for this move. I’d be interested in seeing their workings.

GrahamS

a time for our whole country to reflect on what Christianity brings to Britain

Is it bad that many of my “reflections” on that matter involve swear words?

I find it difficult to believe Cameron has any genuine religious beliefs.. a soul

FTFY 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Given the importance of Jesus in Islam, quite a few Muslims take an interest.

Usual anti-religious fervour being whipped up, like the religion in schools thread.

Anyone who casually dismisses someone elses views as being inferior to their own – religious or not – is arguably blinkered and intolerant.

binners

Every time I look at the Daves Tory party, and their inclusive and caring policies, particularly towards the more disadvantaged in society, I’m humbled by their spirit of benevolence

God bless ’em

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

He’s only saying it to copy Blair.

lilchris
    Free Member

Who wants an Easter egg?

Well hop off and get your own! Nom, nom, nom

thestabiliser
    Free Member

More politicians should follow Jesus example

i.e. we should nail ’em up

CaptJon
    Free Member

A pagan festival about new life gets co-opted by the Church to represent a zombie which then gets co-opted by chocolate companies who use egg laying rabbits to deliver obesity and diabetes to the nation.

Right, that’s my reflecting done. Who is next?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the importance of Jesus in Islam

Except they do not believe he was killed or resurrected so they will no more be interested in easter than they will be in Christmas as they dont follow his corrupted message to his people but the one true word of god given by the prophet, Mohammed etc
    Basically if you are suggesting Muslims will be thinking about Easter then that is not true.

Anyone who casually dismisses someone elses views as being inferior to their own – religious or not – is arguably blinkered and intolerant.

Could you remind us what it is they say happens to those who dont belive their big book and choose not to follow?
    Do you think they consider it to be wrong, immoral and inferior to their beliefs

PS I am happy to say Hitlers views were inferior to my view of mutual respect and tolerance…I hope you can forgive my blinkered intolerance of the genocidal racist

😆 @ Graham S

Lifer
    Free Member

This was my favourite –

Just continuing God’s work

binners

slowoldman

If only Cameron was imaginary.

GrahamS

Basically if you are suggesting Muslims will be thinking about Easter then that is not true.

Well.. they might well be thinking about what chocolate egg to buy – which is probably what 98% of the UK population genuinely “reflect on” at Easter. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago,” Mr Cameron said. “I just want to see more of it.”

Yes no one helped anyone before Jesus…god bless him

“It is the case that Christians are now the most persecuted religion around the world,”

Why do all groups choose to look at their persecution rather than the persecution they do? Women bishops or gays in various countries for example..perhaps their long and illustrious history of oppression etc
    Amusingly where they are persecuted it is by other religious groups so it sort if prove the point it the religious who are the nutters.

Cougar

Surely these people’s views are not blinkered and intolerant, but rather are just as valid as your own? Only, the alternative would be that in casually dismissing their opinion as inferior to yours here you’re a massive hypocrite.

(-:

MoreCashThanDash

Their book is a load of piffle, and I am not a believer.

However, I have had to attend various religious ceremonies over the years, mainly christian church services.

I have never heard a sermon or message delivered that suggested intolerance or damnation for non-believers, services of all faiths that I have attended have focused on the principle of being nicer to each other, if you’ll excuse the oversimplification, which is not a bad message to put out, regardless of any supposed heavenly reward. To imply that all religious belief is somehow wrong strikes me as rather missing the point of the various assorted flavours of fairy stories involved.

Early post to invoke the Hitler rule, fair play 😉

footflaps

More politicians should follow Jesus the Romans example

It was the Romans doing the nailing and look how badly society has gone wrong since they stopped!

Jesus invented the Big Society fiddling expenses 2,000 years ago,” Mr Cameron said. “I just want to see more of it.”

FIFY

binners

Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago,” Mr Cameron said. “I just want to see more of it.”

Wasn’t it 2000 years ago, the last time anyone mentioned the ‘Big Society’?

Northwind

“Easter is not just a time for Christians across our country to reflect, but a time for our whole country to reflect on what Christianity co-optoed pre-christian paganism brings to Britain.”

FTFH.

grum
    Free Member

Looking out for the richest in society and shafting the poor and vulnerable – pretty sure that was what Jesus stood for wasn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

I have never heard a sermon or message delivered that suggested intolerance or damnation for non-believers

Er, maybe a bit of historical research is in order then..

As for Cameron, he’s just doing what a lot of other cockends do – sucking up to his boss

Junkyard
    Free Member

Early post to invoke the Hitler rule, fair play

It was entirely deliberate and can never be played too early on theses threads

Its the great conundrum of religion – it can be brilliant and tolerant /follow the golden rule or it can be all fire and brimstone from a wrathful god

they tend to focus on the nicer bits in church but it is not hard to find example in the books of god/allah whomever doing bad stuff nor the followers doing bad stuff even today.

binners

Apparently, according to the bible, it is harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. As Dave regularly reminds his friends in the City when they’re round at his house for ‘kitchen suppers’

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It is the case that Christians are now the most persecuted religion around the world,”

Where are all of these Christians being boxxed into an arid coastal region to then have guided bombs dropped on them by Israeli F-15E’s?

Christianity despite assertations to the contary, still appears to be a tool for claiming victimhood and identifying a common enemy.

footflaps

Christianity despite assertations to the contary, still appears to be a tool for claiming victimhood and identifying a common enemy.

Sounds like any / all religions…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

More politicians should follow Jesus the Romans example

It was the Romans doing the nailing and look how badly society has gone wrong since they stopped!

No, they should follow the Jesus example and be nailed, we should follow the Roman example and do the nailing.

Unnecessary pedantry backatchya!!

MoreCashThanDash

DezB – I was talking about my personal experiences, I’m well aware of the perils of zealotry.

Seems to me that many people can’t see the wood for the trees with religion, and too many, probably rightly, focus on the damage that it has caused when used as a reason to justify political or geographical expansion throughout the ages.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like all things it can be a force for good. Ghandi for example, Martin Luther King as well. Also amazing acts of forgiveness I could not do were it my loved ones.
    However more often it is used as a means of persecuting folk who dont agree with you be it blasphemy or a heliocentric world

Now their power wains to hear them , after centuries of oppressing dissenting voices, argue for tolerance whilst portraying themselves as victims is frankly laughable.
    At worst atheists want to marginalise them whilst pointing and laughing rather than kill them

binners

mefty
    Free Member

Absolutely the communities talked about in this article need to MTFU.

D0NK

mefty in an all too familiar to me C&P error, wanna try again?
    🙂

mefty
    Free Member
    D0NK

here you go mate, hate to see a guy struggle 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

ta, didn’t know second attempt didn’t work

binners

As Alan himself said: “Never insult Muslims, ever! Christians? Yes. Jews? A bit. But never Muslims”

ocrider

A week early, but who cares?

mefty
    Free Member

A week early, but who cares?

Wrong as well, he comes back the day before.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Linking the big society to Jesus is a bit rich IMO. JC would have clearly been a proper bleeding heart lefty and seen straight through the hijacking of christian (and indeed other folks/religions/communities) principles of compassion and forgiveness as a shallow excuse to absolve the government of as much responsibility as possible for its most vulnerable and voice-less citizens.
    If cameron is the christian he claims to be, he must be rehearsing a pretty hefty deathbed confession/absolution!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Cameron talks about Easter and god etc’ is closed to new replies.