Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Calling all Slate owners
  • gari
    Free Member

I quite fancy a slate for hooning around the local trails etc, and some bikepacking/touring.
    What’s the widest tyre that would fit in the rear? Bit optimistic hoping a 2.1 nano would fit but hoping my Schwalbe 2in marathon would go.
    Cheers

jobro
    Free Member

I think max width is about 45mm. No where near what you would like, and of course thats 650b only.
    I think Cannondale really missed a trick with this. I like the idea of the Oliver front end but why did they limit themselves to 650b tyres when most rough stuff type frames seem to be going 700c X 42 or 650b X 52 like Mason, UP and Reilly

wind-bag
    Free Member

I have a Slate, max width on the rear is 42mm. Agree that they missed a trick by not giving more rear spacing, but with a pair of G One’s fitted you don’t miss a wider tyre.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Incase you haven’t seen Wheelbase have the Slate range on sale.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=4&q=Slate

gari
    Free Member

Thanks, the bike I have takes 47 horizons ok so no point. As said, missed opportunity given that they were quite early to the 650b trail bike party( to some degree at least).

ElShalimo

The 2017 Slate can be had with 20-35% off at Evans, Cycle Store & Wheelbase amongst others.
    Are they clearing the stock before next year’s model arrives?
    Or is there an issue with them?

jameso

@elshalimo – more like the concept is a bit niche and it’s a slow seller over here. Great bike tho, imo.

I like the idea of the Oliver front end but why did they limit themselves to 650b tyres when most rough stuff type frames seem to be going 700c X 42 or 650b X 52 like Mason, UP and Reilly

I think an optimised design is good – it shows in the ride / handling. Some/most of the ‘dual size’ bikes are just 700c bikes that have the clearance for 650×50 – doesn’t mean they handle that well with the 650s though, particularly if loaded up. Just ime/imo though. I’d agree that 650×42 limits options now there are bigger tyres available but for road and a bit of dirt use, 42c is pretty good. Certainly fast. If I was on poor tarmac and good gravel roads 95% of the time 42C might be the ideal.

seifahmad
    Free Member

Hi
    I bought one of the CX1 slates at wheelbase. On my second day I had it I competed a century ride solo which took me 6hrs 15mins. This was a mix of disused railway and b/country roads. This was only a few
    Minutes longer than a previous century on a 700c cx bike. Amazing bike amazingly comfortable. Only change planned is a set of schwalbe g ones and tubeless (on order).
    Don’t be put off – I was a little unsure but am glad I did get it.

imnotverygood

Does anyone happen to know if the rear mech on the 105 Slate is short or mid-cage?

jobro
    Free Member

Interesting that Cannondale have launched the SuperX SE (Special Edition) today as their “gravel” bike.
    Its just a cx frame with some adjustment to take slightly wider tyres.
    Seems they still haven’t got it!

Don’t be put off – I was a little unsure but am glad I did get it.

I’m genuinely glad you like the Slate. For me, it just doesn’t have the flexibility of tyre choice that I need for my style of rough stuff riding.
    FWIW I’ve decided on the Reilly Gradient.

jameso

Seems they still haven’t got it!

Not sure you’d still say that if you tried to follow their frame engineer on a gravel road tour ; )

‘Getting it’ vs ‘having their take on it’ perhaps.

slightreturn
    Free Member

I have the force 1 slate. In the black, I ride it in the hills around huddersfield,/ Peak District area, it’s great fun in fast woodland, i put a shorter stem on mine. 80mm, replacing the 100mm one and went tubeless with the G one tyres. I only use it for a couple hour blasts really, that’s all I wanted it for. Specialized do a drop bar called the hover which has a slight rise in it which I may get to aid in the neck comfort.
    overall. A great purchase. Yet to see another one out n about

zilog6128

Dammit. Just noticed that Evans are offering £250 off an already-reduced Ultegra Slate (or other similarly priced bike) if you trade in any old shitter. Ends tomorrow. Obviously I want one, but do I need it? 🙂

benp1

That is a very very good deal with the trade in offer on top… very

zilog6128

I know!!

an offer I can’t refuse?! 😆

benp1

For some reason I’m trying to justify it with man maths

But it would be the biggest waste in the world to commute on the road using a Slate

zilog6128

well commuting is one thing I’d want it for (although not just that), lack of rack/mudguard mounts is off-putting though!

EDIT: or maybe it does have eyelets, at the rear? conflicting reports online, & can’t 100% tell from a pic…

wind-bag
    Free Member

There are proprietary mudguard mounts on the rear, never seen anywhere stock the guards though.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

For some reason I’m trying to justify it with man maths

Possibly not helping but I bought their last Norco Optic C7.3 which was on sale. Click and collect via Topcashback will pay for the pedals and they gave me 250 quid for a 28yr old rust bucket with a dented top tube. Worryingly I also had really good, knowledgeable service from them too 😯 (MK Xscape branch).

td75
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a slate. I was wondering about sizing, I’m 6’2″ with a 34 inside leg. Large or Xlarge?

thwapy
    Free Member

I (Very)briefly had a slate in large, I am 6’1 34″ IL and it was the right size.

td75
    Free Member

May I ask why you got rid of it? Just curious.

kongman28
    Free Member

You can fit a rack. You just need to use one with the flat steel arms rather than the solid bar type for attaching at the top of the back of the seat stays.

pacerc100
    Free Member

Absolutely loving my Slate CX1. Bought on a whim to replace my full on road bike after seeing the psa on here. I’m 6’1 and about 32″ inside leg and went for a large. Seems pretty much spot on size wise.

With regards tubeless mine came supplied with Mavic rims rather than the Cannondale branded ones which I believe were recalled. I had some 3 quid Specialized/Roval valves kicking about so chucked those in and a scoop of Stans in each and so far no problems.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Slate owners’ is closed to new replies.