Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cadair Idris – Where to start??
  • windydave13
    Free Member

Evening all,

With all the talk of ‘Big Mountains’ I’ve finally sat down and planned a route up Cadair Idris.

Logically it makes sense to start at the car park in Llanfihangel-y-pennant and then just plod on up the bridleway, but just wondering if any of you folk can suggest an alternative starting/finish point in case i’m missing something epic??? 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Pretty sure that’s where I parked up. Can’t remember a car park though, seemed to be a random spot near some outbuildings.

windydave13
    Free Member

Cheers fella. Out of interest how long did it take you and bar the last section of hauling the bike up to the summit is there anything to watch out for?

Image was meant to be:

Cadair Idris by windydave13, on Flickr

crotchrocket
    Free Member

2hrs or so to the top. Seem to recall parking nr a church??

Tip: take a lil hexy stove and have a brew or a noodle thing at the top. Sets you up for the drop in – lovely 😀

oxforddan
    Free Member

When are you planning on doing this , I may be biking it on sat ?

windydave13
    Free Member

Not a bad idea on the stove front!

Thinking of giving it a crack on Monday although if it’s still a bit Windy Miller it may have to wait for another day

devs
    Free Member

That’s the route I did. It’s all rideable down but I pushed a bit at the top. It’s proper grin inducing. Just watch out for the odd bit where it narrows between big boulders. I did it in July, wouldn’t fancy it now.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Llanfihangel y pennant is the place to start.

Lots of farm/ grant roads to climb before the technical stuff, take care at the top if it’s misty or windy in winter, could be your last ride.

djglover
    Free Member

Dolgellau? I ran up and back from there in under 2 hours

djglover
    Free Member

Dolgellau? I ran up and back from there in under 2 hours

stumpy01

I went up from Abergynolwyn when I did it with a mate. There’s a car park in the centre of the village and it’s fairly straight forward from there.

The climb is OK without being great, but the descent is great. I think it took us something like 2.5hrs to get up & then only about 25 mins to get back down.

Good idea about a stove or a flask to take up with you. Definitely take an extra layer with you for the top.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve done it. It’s rubbish as a ride. Boring bridleway, a bit of “Welsh Singletrack” and then an unrideable uphill to the summit with a 100 metre scramble that you’ll never do with the bike on your back. Boots and feet only.

mr_mills
    Free Member

LL36 9TU is the postcode for the “car park” if anyone’s interested. This will take you a little way past it but you’ll see it opposite the church. There are toilets there too.

justatheory
    Free Member

Helicopter drop on the summit?

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s all rideable down

Anyone here done the uber rocky bit at the (everso nearly) very top?

This I mean

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZD-dulL1U[/video]

I think that guy’s a loon :mrgreen: I couldn’t see the point of dragging a bike up that bit as I figured I wouldn’t be riding down it! Saw the clip once home and I’m inspired now – it could be scary though.

FWIW I’m not going back up there unless it’s dry – the rocky stuff doesn’t last long (enough) on the way down and the grassy bits are either very pedally or a bit treacherous when wet.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member

I’ve done it. It’s rubbish as a ride. Boring bridleway, a bit of “Welsh Singletrack” and then an unrideable uphill to the summit with a 100 metre scramble that you’ll never do with the bike on your back. Boots and feet only.

Did you not ride back down again? Not still up there are you?? 😯

Here’s a bike at the summit (yes yes I’ve got a limp wrist etc):-

stumpy01

Not a chance would I have ridden down the very top bit.

mr_mills
    Free Member

That vid makes the top bit look a lot easier than it actually is too. It’s hard enough just climbing up / down without taking the bike with you.

allthepies
    Free Member

I thought it was a great descent and none of the Snowdon hordes of bikes/walkers either 🙂

And respect to that fella in the vid for riding the top section in XC stylee kit 😯

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cadair Idris – Where to start??’ is closed to new replies.