Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • c2c to Lakeland holiday?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Whats best? Lolloping across the country or spending a wek to take in the best of the Lakeland loops?

Also, which are the best?

Skiddaw, Derwent Water, Highstreet? Whinlatter man made? Wasdale?

What have I missed, oh Scar fell?

hmmm….

lowey

Borrowdale Bash,

Garburn

Nan Bield and Gatesgarth

Grizedale (spend a week in there alone).

Forget Scafell unless on foot.

If your feeling adventurous then you could have a go at this route Click to make bigger :-

GaVgAs
    Free Member

What route is best depends on your ability and preferences,the borrowdale bash offers plenty of challenges,Skiddaw is nice to tick off but not really a great riders route imho,The skiddaw figure of eight is a good route, Keswick railway track to Threlkeld,Blencathra centre,Glendaterra to Skiddaw House,Mosedale to Mungrisdale,Northern Mine tracks to Nether kellet,Whitewater dash to Skiddaw House Lonscale terrace to Latrigg car park, Spooneygreen to Keswick.

One of my all time favourite days out is:

Stbees to Enerdale,Black sail YHA,Blacksail pass,Wasdale head,keep right of beck to Styhead pass,Great climb to Angle tarn,Rossett Gill (VERY technical and steep) Langdales,Jenkin Cragg,Garburn pass,Stile end,A6 to hucks brow,Mosedale to Tebay. about 12 hours riding but one of the best days mountainbiking you will ever have. 😉

boxelder

Tour of the Lakes – transport logistics is much easier. Work out a route on the map linking accommodation, then post it here for advice/comments. Planning is 15.75% of the fun!

lowey

Stbees to Enerdale,Black sail YHA,Blacksail pass,Wasdale head,keep right of beck to Styhead pass,Great climb to Angle tarn,Rossett Gill (VERY technical and steep) Langdales,Jenkin Cragg,Garburn pass,Stile end,A6 to hucks brow,Mosedale to Tebay. about 12 hours riding but one of the best days mountainbiking you will ever have.

Taking that route next year when we do the C2C Gav. Although will be stopping a few times :p

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've only done Wasdale –> Rossett Gill once when I'd only been biking for a few months, but I did have cause to wonder why I was taking a bike with me – and bear in mind when Lowey says "steep" read "massive boulder field scramble descent" – though the map shows an alternative zigzag path I've never spotted. Visually spectacular though 🙂

lowey

Last time I was on Rossett you have to take the zig zags, as opposed to years ago when you just went straight down the ghyll itself.

And its Gav describing that lunacy of a one day route, not me. 12 hours for that lot, I'd be in hospital if I tried it in a day :p

Sanny
    Free Member

Skiddaw – Bridleway up – Ullock Pike down. Absolute cheeky classic.

Ullswater to High Street and down Nan Bield Pass. Do a search for a cheeky trail (hint – it's on an OS map!)

Walna Scar via Parkhead Road. Mint.

For non cheeky trails, pop in and see the guys in Biketreks. They can point you in the right direction.

Do a search and you'll find a previous posting I did about the riding round Newlands Pass – some of the finest genuine singletrack you'll find in the Lakes.

Hope you enjoy whatever you do. The Lakes rock!

Cheers

Sanny

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And its Gav describing that lunacy of a one day route, not me

sorry Dave :o)

For non cheeky trails, pop in and see the guys in Biketreks.

which is funny as Andy is one of the cheekiest riders I know 🙂

lowey

Sanny, any chance you can mail me about the Newlands Trail ? You email isnt in your profile.

Cheers mate.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Lowey

E mail me at Sannyatsingletrackworld.com

Cheers

Sanny

boxelder

Lowey,

Wouldn't do the 'Newlands trail' while it's muddy/soft

lowey

Cheers Boxelder, will bear in mind.

Sanny… YGM.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

…and if you head up the valley to drop down by Rigg Beck* (with Buttermere at your back), take care. There's been a pretty big landslide in the middle of the scree section, just before you level out at the top of the climb.

(* not sure if your route heads that way Sanny – we dropped off Whiteless last weekend then cut left up the valley, heading home via 'The Purple House')

splatz
    Free Member

If you go from St Bees to RHBay offroad you will not regret it. It takes some organising bit it's a real 6 day adventure. You have got to reach your destination every day and takes in some of the best riding in the Lakes and the Dales and the NYorks Moors…..or as we used to say in the 60's it's a real trip man.

Oh and great fish and chips when you get there…..

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I could take you through the lakes sometime lowey, just get in touch,we will be doing it again this year,its a great day 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-descent-in-the-lakes-area

Have a look at the Rossett Gill pics!

boxelder

heading home via 'The Purple House'

I remembering ending up at an 'interseting' party at the 'purple house' after a night at the Swinside.

Long gone now – burned down (conveniently some would say) after being bought by someone wealthy. They put out to competition for architects – what's going up looks interesting so far.

lowey

Gav, sadly my legs aren't up to such epics. It would be a day to remember though, thats for sure.

Didnt know about the Purple house burning down. I spent many a happy weekend in Stair years ago and know the area pretty well.

Sanny… thanks mate 😉 Given me a bit of inspiration there.

Mikey65
    Free Member

I spent a week in the lakes last year and had a fantastic time with varying rides round Skiddaw for natural riding and also Winlatter and Grizedale for that trail park feel and finishing off with the Borrowdale Bash, absolute classic,stacks of riding to be had and so much to go back for…..can't wait for revisit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘c2c to Lakeland holiday?’ is closed to new replies.