Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bye bye Brechfa pt2
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

I see that RWE Npower have their planning consent for the Brechfa East wind farm. I have emailed thier pr / spin character to ask how it will impact the Gorlech trail etc as I recall that the better part of this route was going to be lost for good.

lister

Got any links to this?
    I’m torn, love Brechfa trail and love windfarms. I thought there was going to be rebuilding of trails after installation? We could do with some new stuff to ride, and we’ll have turbines to pedal up to and chill under too!

Could be a win/win situation…

Nipper99
    Free Member

BBC Wales web site.

lister

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-25407752

Most mountain bikers are fairly normal folk, can’t see us boycotting some quality riding because of some swirly things.

I wonder what other tourism happens round there? I’d wager bikers are a high proportion.

Should be ok, and cool too, I just wish we could get more around the refineries down here in Pembroke.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Only if the quality riding is still there.

rusty90
    Free Member

The planning document is at http://online.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/agendas/eng/PLAC20131217/REP03.HTM
    The relevant bit is :

Mountain Biking

13.10 During the construction and felling phase of the development the section of the Gorlech trail which runs through the PAM area (4km) will be temporarily closed for health and safety reasons. In addition an extra 4km of this route will be temporarily inaccessible as riders would need to travel through the PAM area in order to access these parts of the route. A diverted route which will include section of the Gorlech route and forest tracks amounting to 17km in length will be provided temporarily. To address the Council’s concerns that elements of technical single track of the Gorlech trail will be lost during the build stage, a new section of 760m will be built in to the temporary Gorlech trail. Only 19% of the length of the Gorlech trail and only 7% of the designated mountain bike routes in Brechfa Forest will be temporarily inaccessible. This section of single track will remain open following construction.

13.11 The local mountain bike group have expressed concern regarding the proposed mitigation being insufficient. The loss and closure of part of the Gorlech trail will be for a temporary period and not the lifetime of the wind farm. On this basis it is considered that the mitigation and alternative route proposed by the developer is proportionate for the time period. Furthermore the 760m of downhill single track will remain during the operational stage and is therefore seen as a positive enhancement measure that will increase the desirability of using this trail and possibly more mountain bikers accessing the forest and the area. Although what that actually means in practice is anyone’s guess. My reading of it is that you’ll be able to do the first climb, then a new bit of singletrack, then the final descent.

Twodogs

The climb, 16.2 km of fireroad, 760m of new single track and the final descent?

That’s a real shame..Gorlech is great fun…it’s a great trail to nip up to and whizz round for 90mins in the winter..And manageable on my singlespeed too, unlike Raven! (Maybe with more training!)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone know when it will be shut. Gorlech is a good trail too.. what a shame

rusty90
    Free Member

The climb, 16.2 km of fireroad, 760m of new single track and the final descent?

Not quite sure how the figures add up, or where they get the 17km bit from; the whole Gorlech trail is only 19km now, and they’re going to take 8km out.
    No date for when the work will start (planning was only approved yesterday). Estimated time for felling and construction is 22 months I think.

Northwind

So am I understanding it right, sections will be closed for about 2 years but at the end, it’ll all still be there, plus there’ll be a new bit too?

rusty90
    Free Member

So am I understanding it right

Yep, that’s about it. Although for ‘sections’ probably read ‘a lot of it’ (as far as I can see from the map of the construction area).

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have some more detail from the RWE pr people.

The Gorlech trail will be closed from just past the top of the first singletrack climb where there will be a new line back down to the fireroad at the where the previous climb started it is then a straight fireroad to the point where the second,current, major descent pops you out by the river with the little arched bridge and then the rest of the route as per normal.

The closure will commence with the start of felling and end with the end of construction of the wind farm.

Very sad. I know Brechfa is a ‘commercial’ forest but it is still a great woody ride. Bye bye woody ride hello moonscape and the eyesores 🙁

I have been sent some plans showing the diversions etc, I can forward these on if anyone is interested – email in profile.

Rosss
    Free Member

Any idea when the felling will start? I’ve ridden the Raven but would like to tick off the Gorlech before it changes

Nipper99
    Free Member

End of this year I understand.

Rosss
    Free Member

Ah good plenty of chance to ride it then

lister

What ‘eyesores’ are the putting there? Not a nuclear power station or a modern-designed visitor centre I hope! 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

nope, just windmill shaped ones.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bye bye Brechfa pt2’ is closed to new replies.