Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Buying coffee beans online?
  • sc-xc

We are currently going through nearly 2 standard 227g bags per week – but the shops round here only have a very limited choice.

I looked at Has Bean, but £6.50 for a 250g bag seems pretty steep….is there anywhere that I can buy beans a bit cheaper?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just had some nice coffee from rave
    http://ravecoffee.co.uk/

BigJohn

I always get the Brazilian blend and Italian blend from Happy Donkey.

I prefer their beans to Hasbean, and last time I ordered they came the next day. I usually order about £50 worth and it works out at less than £3 a bag including delivery.

Oh and their courier texts you with choice of delivery day and gives you an accurate ETA.

crazy-legs
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Here here for Happy Donkey Italian blend. £4.80 for 2 x 250g bags. Makes a lovely espresso.

Edit: At the rate you’re getting through it may be worth going for their 6kg for 46 quid deal, works out at £1.91 a 250g bag!

Double edit: Italian blend in action 🙂

stealthcat

Whereabouts are you based? You never know – there might be a local roaster…

Or try Deep Mills. Delivery may not be next day, but communication is good, and so is the coffee.

bigdawg
    Free Member

After years of using HasBean I come across Coffee Real this year http://www.coffeereal.co.uk/

Their coffee just seems to taste better than any of the other online guys I tried, and seem to get a bit more in each bag to.

Rastapopolous
    Free Member

Try York Coffee Emporium .

They tend to have a good variety of tasty coffee. You’ll pay between £3.50 to £5.50 for 200g bags but you can get more for your money if you find something you like and buy in bigger amounts. I’d recommend the Elk Hill Indian.

tacopowell
    Free Member

A Fresh Bag of Coffee

If you live in Nottingham area, They’ll deliver the freshly roasted beans to you by bicycle, free of charge but they do deliver nationwide.

Lovely coffee.

slowmart
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

A Fresh Bag of Coffee

Does look good but at around 6 quid for a 200g bag it’s not really meeting the OPs brief.

dti

my dealer is for cumbria’a carvetti coffee roasters. Min 4kg at a time

tacopowell
    Free Member

it’s not really meeting the OPs brief

The choice is pretty limited but I’d still give them ago, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Paying £19-£22 per kg means around 36-42p per double shot.
    Worth every penny if the coffee is excellent. I get to try a lot of coffee through my work with a coffee magazine and while paying more doesn’t always mean better at that level it usually means the raw beans are guaranteed high quality.
    I like

Roundhill
    Extract
    Roasting party
    Tate
    Butterworths
    Caravan
    Workshop
    Notes
    Square mile
    Climpson and sons
    Union
    Small batch to name a few in no particular order.
    Tried many more but never found anything at the cheap (£4.50ish) end to come close.
    Luckily I’m in a position to be able to afford the extra 9-11p per drink over cheaper coffee and feel that expense is worth it. 🙄

onewheelgood

These guys are great http://www.monsoonestates.co.uk/
    They even have a special cycling blend – the ‘Fixie’

warton
    Free Member

my sister lives across the street from small batch, and shes friends with the guys in there, so i get her to send me discounted bags of their goldstone blend, great in the gaggia.

but, i like hasbean. The range is superb, and I’ve yet to find a company with that range, that roasts so regularly. I’ve never had a bag that was roasted more than 2 days before delivery.

kcal

I like MacBeans but have to stock up when I visit Aberdeen. Worth it; but suspect delivery would outweigh all benefits – https://www.facebook.com/MacBeans (seems to a a Facebook page)

BenjiM

Booths (If you live in the North) have a great selection of own brand coffee.

Sandwich

Monmouth Coffee will deliver but it’s only worthwhile if you order around £50 of beans at a time. The organic expresso is fab.

TooTall
    Free Member

I get to try a lot of coffee through my work with a coffee magazine and while paying more doesn’t always mean better at that level it usually means the raw beans are guaranteed high quality.

It usually means it costs more.

It doesn’t matter what the beans are or whether a bearded man hand-roasted them with heat from gas made from unicorn farts. If someone likes a certain coffee it is good for them and if someone wants a better price for their beans, niche is probably too expensive.

slowmart
    Free Member

To the OP.

It’s not the cheapest but the range and quality is superb.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the beans are or whether a bearded man hand-roasted them with heat from gas made from unicorn farts. If someone likes a certain coffee it is good for them and if someone wants a better price for their beans, niche is probably too expensive.

Of course it matters what the beans are.
    As for expensive that depends on your wallet and your priorities but we are not talking £40kilo cup of excellence beans here just high quality beans from a known source that are well roasted and the going rate for those is £18-£22kg you may call it ‘niche’ but I see it as non-supermarket, non old school roasters (the kind who list ‘old brown java’ or ‘Ethiopian’ with no mention of process or grower/co-operative). In my experience the value is from roasters like the ones I listed above, I have tried numerous other cheap regional roasters and their products are often mediocre spending the extra few pence per shot gives you much better quality coffee.

sc-xc

Cheers all, loads to go at there…

I may approach this like I’m trying to with single malts – a different on each week!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Buying coffee beans online?’ is closed to new replies.