Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Buying a second hand car privately – money
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

What’s the best way of doing the “money thing” when buying a s/h car. Found a car that’s a bit of drive away, what’s the best, most efficent way of exchaning money for goods, we don’t want to be driving 80 miles or so backwards and forwards, it’s about 10k.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cash or Bankers Draft are the only two payments I’d consider accepting. Although Im not 100% sure on the clearance time for the draft. Therefore if you want to be leaving with the car there and then, I’d be going with cash.

geoffj

Laptop + online banking + bank transfer while you are there .

SkillWill
    Free Member

When I was selling a car, I made sure I met near a bank and paid the cash into my account first before handing over the keys. Just in case he was giving me any fugazis.

Kato

Cash is king if you want a haggle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cash is king but quite rightly i wouldnt be turning up ANYWHERE other than a dealer with 10Gs ….

Last car we bought we just transfered the cash over into the guys account via a laptop & internet dongle !

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Best way which I’ve used a number of times is to arrange a bankers draft for the right amount to be issued from your bank’s branch nearest the car. Do the deal, both drive to the bank, get the draft from the cashier and hand it straight to the vendor. Absolutely secure for both parties.

Lots of forged bankers drafts around so no-one in their right mind would accept one without waiting for it to clear like a cheque

nickf
    Free Member

When I was selling a car, I made sure I met near a bank and paid the cash into my account first before handing over the keys. Just in case he was giving me any fugazis.

I did this.

Drove down, met the guy, drove the car to make sure it was as advertised, then drove with him to his bank, and paid it in there and then. He never actually counted it – the bank did that.

Still meant I was wandering around with £10k, but that was a risk I was prepared to take.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Buying a second hand car privately – money’ is closed to new replies.