Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buy Canyon Spectral AL 29 or Build Salsa Horsetheif Split Pivot? Opinions Please
  • Bigmantrials

Hi Guys

Next year I am looking into getting a second bike, something a little more suitable for rougher terrain etc than my current hardtail. I have had my eye on the Canyon Spectral AL 29 in a spec that comes in at £2500, it looks to be a very sorted bike for the money, however I am aware that they are not available until april-may. Spectral AL 29
    The other bike I have liked the look of since I first saw it was the new Salsa Horsetheif, unfortunately this is not available in a full build in the UK which would mean building the bike myself (which is always good fun!) Horsetheif Review on BikeRadar

I am just after a few opinions on what other people would be inclined to do, I do like the idea of building the Salsa from scratch and that I would expect the Salsa to be less common in the UK, however I am unsure whether I could build it up within the sort of money that the Canyon would cost.

Thanks

Adam

damascus
    Free Member

I doubt you can build the horsethief to the same standard as a canyon for 2500.

The rrp on the salsa frame is 1499.

I’ve got last years salsa horsethief before the split pivot and its the best bike I haveever ridden .

At least if you build it yourself you get what you want

What size frame are you after?

chakaping
    Free Member

I am finding those canyon 29rs very appealing. Geometry looks great.

Just a shame the enduro version has a 34 and not a pike.

bol

If you buy carefully and use the classifieds for lightly used stuff and German websites you could build something very similarly specced for the money. That’s what I would do. I’m sure the Canyon is a good bike, but shallow as I am I couldn’t love it like a Salsa.

monkeyboyjc

If you have the knowledge and skills to build your own bike, then you should. That way you’ll get exactly what you want in the spec where it counts. Ok so you may end up with a mix and match groupset, but you can use the cash you’ve save on other parts which are more important to you.
    Also with the Chrismas sales on now is the best time.

sillyoldman

Totally different prices, but Horsethief is way more appealing to me.

Longer front end, shorter rear end, lower BB and mellower HA.

All small differences, but should add up to a better ride (for my tastes at least).

I’m looking at getting a Horsethief to replace my Rumblefish.

nuke

+1 for what the sillyoldman said

Bigmantrials

Thanks Guys! Triton Cycles have the Horsetheif for £1350 which would help a little, also thinking that an X fusion Trace (34mm stantions, 51mm offset) seems to be a great value fork which would keep costs under control a bit more!

I am not 100% sure what drivetrain etc I will be looking to run yet, would rather spend the cash on a decent wheelset initially and upragde other bits later on if I had to!

Adam

adsum
    Free Member

After 2 years of riding the Canyon Strive, it developed a crack on the down tube just above the bolt/screw for the bottle holder. Only noticed the crack after the ride when putting the bike on the car rack. No crash, no fall, but Canyon Germany says that its not covered under their warranty as there was a very slight buckling at the crack area, they insist that the crack is due to a crash and offered to sell me a crash replacement at 1100 Euros plus US$307 for shipping. How does one prove otherwise?
    Get the Horsethief and save yourself the grief of dealing with Canyon. I ended up buying a Nukeproof Mega Am for a replacement frame.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Buy Canyon Spectral AL 29 or Build Salsa Horsetheif Split Pivot? Opinions Please’ is closed to new replies.