Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Busy at Cannock today
  • rOcKeTdOg

even on the off piste trails

nah, actually away from FTD and the Monkey it was empty

got shown around today, some excellent natural trails, muddy in places and i managed a tactical dismount over the bars but it was great fun

even spotted some niche

Conan257
    Free Member

Riding there on Wednesday, 11 of us!

Usually quiet midweek though, thankfully!

maxtorque

For some reason, that pic of everyone cycling in circles reminds me of Smokey and the Bandit or the Dukes of Hazzard 😉

rOcKeTdOg

all got a bit moody late in the day

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

yep up there today, did some of the natural stuff before a blast of follow the dog – nice ride and ended just when the rain started.

Yep there’s something about riding around that lump of concrete three times for luck of something I recall!

saw a large bunch at one point off piste heading toward where the cadet centre is?

takisawa2

Who was showing you round RD…?
    I did a leading course a few weeks ago & the chap had us doing comedy laps of that boulder.
    Was he on a Karate Monkey… 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

saw a large bunch at one point off piste heading toward where the cadet centre is?

Possible, there were 18 of us at the start, about 11 at the end

Who was showing you round RD…?

“Nick” on a Mondraker, other than that I have no idea! 😆

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s glacial that boulder

Some great riding over that side, fantastic pics too RD

bokonon
    Free Member

I rode Follow the Dog on Saturday, it wasn’t busy at all, I didn’t see any other people riding or walking until I go back to my car. It was 0630 when I started though, lovely sunrise.

Ozak42

It was a bloody great day riding. I loved every second of it, even when I went over my bars and when I washed out straight into a tree. Nick was a great guide. I knew about half the guys there, but met some top chaps too. Hopefully ride with you guys again some day.

ThePinkster

did my first Sunday ride on the chase for years a couple of weeks ago. I now remember why I stopped going on a Sunday 🙁

frepster
    Free Member

Where is that trig point?

I dont recognise it.

stumpy01

I read the title as ‘Busty at Cannock today’ and must admit to being a little disappointed by the contents of this thread…… 😯

rOcKeTdOg

Well I have some moob pics if you want to give me your email addy

bokonon
    Free Member

Where is that trig point?

I dont recognise it.

It’s not a trig point – it’s the Glacial Boulder – just over from the “Glacial Boulder” car park on Chase Road – it’s on the ridge between Oldacre Brook and Sher Brook – the transition between the scrubby wooded section on the western side to the more open moor type bit to the east.

prawny

The muddy off piste sections look like that even in summer, it’s like the fire roads and FtD and Monkey drain directly on to any unofficial trails (which don’t exist, obviously)

There’s a mental fire road descent down from glacial boulder towards the stream at the bottom of the valley, I very rarely go over that way, I’ve only ridden it twice, but I’ve nearly mullered myself 50% of the time.

scruff
    Free Member

The muddy off piste sections look like that even in summer

Because big groups riding them when wet F it right up 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

they should ban it, no one had a permit either! 8)

prawny

To be honest I don’t think the off piste at cannock is up to much anyway 😐

Scamper
    Free Member

If you know your way around, its a case of applying a bit of common sense, as some trails stand up much better than others.

rocketman
    Free Member

Some of its not too shabby imho

Way before the official trails were build Cannock had a rich history of XC racing (and still does) and there are some pretty good sections of singletrack that haven’t turned into concrete ‘n’ pebbles like the official trails have. They’re not very sustainable which is why a few wet rides by bigger groups churns them up for months at a time. There are also some sections which seems to have been properly built, perhaps as non-FC sanctioned experiments

mattbee

Rode Cannock all the time from ’95 to 2001 when I moved away. There used to be some pretty cool stuff there, way more than the 2 official loops there now. Some of it was really easy to trash though so we didn’t ride those trails at all in the winter.
    Used to ride over from Rushall, head via Marquis Drive down to the sandpit/quarry for some fun on the drop ins & jumps, then make my way pretty much entirely on singletrack down to the Little Fawn chippy for a pie and chips before heading back, again pretty much all on singletrack. Think my fave bit of trail was one that you got to after climbing out from the chippy up the road for a bit. Up on singletrack above a double track, then double track up past a pond. At the top, onto a fire track then a fantastic fast twisty through the trees that spat you out down by the ford over the stream.
    Sigh. Those were the days… 50 or so miles on my ‘dale with 50mm headshok and v brakes, sometimes with the guys from Dave’s Cycles. Must get back up there for an explore some day, see if any f the stuff I remember survives…

rOcKeTdOg

Cannock, a Blog, Cake, mud and grown men riding ring a ring a roses http://a-pic-a-ride.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/off-piste-cannock.html

flange100
    Free Member

nice niche

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Busy at Cannock today’ is closed to new replies.