Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Bum bags. They came back. Have the gone again?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/2013/10/the-bumbag-is-back-but-is-it-cool-again/

I want a simple fanny-pack (fnar). Big enough to take a mini pump, phone, spare inner, tool etc.

Usually I stuff all my bits into a jacket, but they rattle around. I also have to swap things between jackets depending on what Im wearing. Id like to just grab a small arse-pod instead.

The Dakine ones look OK, if a little big, Id only need a max of 5L I reckon.

Who’s making buttock-sacks for MTB these days?

I mainly ride at night, so dont worry about anyone seeing me looking stupid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

they are over there in the discount isle – next to the chrome books….

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

I’d rather have a frame bag than that thing if I really wanted to avoid having anything on my back.

wwaswas

my name’s ww and I use a bum bag.

Mainly ‘cos I ride 5 different bikes so frame bags are a pain.

I got the Overboard waterproof one which is good but the stability is compromised by the hip bits not being attached to the main bag so I’d not recommend it 100% (maybe 90% it’s fine for xc and moderate woodland excursions).

edhornby

I’d rather do a triathlon than wear a bumbag

jimdubleyou

Look a bit less weird with on of these:

Drac

Montane do a couple of versions.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Camelback do one that takes a mini bladder too. Quite roomy without the bladder too…

http://www.camelbak.com/en/International/Sports-Recreation/Packs/Palos-4-LR.aspx

wwaswas

Look on running sites – there’s loads to choose from, although as above most have water bottle holders too.

scuttler

Mine works well

BoardinBob

I’ve got the Dakine one albeit in black rather than camo. Mainly used for downhill days as I detest wearing a backpack on chairlifts etc.

Regardless it’s far more pleasureable than carrying a backpack stuffed with things I don’t need but carry “just in case”.

Got an Osprey Talon 6 coming this week which allows me to carry water too (frame design on my full susser doesnt allow for a bottle cage). Unless I’m going really remote my aim is to carry the minimum kit.

stevied
    Free Member

I started using one again in the summer as I hate the sweaty back from a camelbak. Can carry a bottle, a few spares and an extra layer.
    Much prefer the weight being slightly lower.

gren
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Usually I stuff all my bits into a jacket, but they rattle around. I also have to swap things between jackets depending on what Im wearing. Id like to just grab a small arse-pod instead.

Most of the time, at least for local rides, I now just use one of these. Jersey pocket sized and big enough for some CO2, multitool, chainlink, and a few other bits. Could accommodate a micro pump and tube if you feel the need. So just one thing to pick up and shove in the jersey pocket and things don’t rattle around.

Stoner
    Free Member

that hot laps looks the ticket.

Also will look at some montanes. Am trying to avoid the runnersworld ones. I use the pub for hydration, I dont need water bottle pods.

thankyou.

BoardinBob

Raceface look to have some nice kit similar to the Specialized SWAT stuff

http://raceface.com/apparel/Storage/

wwaswas

That rip-strip is useless – there’s barely enough ‘give’ in the pockets to get a tyre lever in them.

BoardinBob

That rip-strip is useless – there’s barely enough ‘give’ in the pockets to get a tyre lever in them.

Is that from personal experience? Doesn’t look to be any issue here getting stuff bigger than a tyre lever in

garage-dweller

Decathlon. I have one for when there’s just too much for pockets/seat pack and a camelback would be out.

wwaswas

Is that from personal experience?

mate has one. that packet of haribo on the right was probably added with the help of a shoehorn and the help of several assistants.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still going with the sleeveless summer roadie jersey, for extra venting, under a normal baggy.

Maybe i’ve been lucky but the stretchy pockets seem to hold everything I need without bouncing around – as long as you go for the ‘paint it on’ size.

So much nicer than wearing a pack.

BoardinBob

that packet of haribo on the right was probably added with the help of a shoehorn and the help of several assistants

😆

brassneck

I had an Osprey one that made my back ache when I put bottles in it. OK without, but I found it slipped down too much when riding unless tightened to ‘help I can’t breathe’ levels. I should stick it on the classifieds really.
    Camelbak Charge is better if its a long enough ride to not fit in jersey pockets (and now having a Gore Phantom, back coat pockets).

chakaping
    Free Member

Roadie jersey under baggy is an interesting idea.

Maybe putting tools in a soft pack to avoid jangling and potential injury.

Might give that a go myself.

nedrapier

that packet of haribo on the right was probably added with the help of a shoehorn and the help of several assistants

Good-oh. Less concerned about that iphone falling out now. Phew.

hora
    Free Member

Evening. I switched to a Deuter at the beginning of Summer and won’t look back. For rides <3.5hrs why would you need to carry 3lts of water?

Hydrate properly and carry a 0.75lt bottle.

No more sweaty back or feeling that something’s strapped to me. In my Deuter I can fit a full Montane Event XL waterproof, a small pump, a tube, a chain breaker, Allen key set, phone, any snacks and the bottle. Tbh because of the pack I now stick tube in my pocket, pump in other and bottle in frame for <1.5-2hr rides. It feels ace.

Try it.

Tbh as a kid I loved the feeling of freedom riding. It got more and more like Judge Dredd padded and safetied-up! Either that or planning an expedition 😀

nedrapier

Wingnut bags worth a look for the bumbag-curious. More along the “very low rucksack” lines, but I met a chap who swore by his. And yes, “by” not “at”, to get in before the quippers.

Flippin’ quippers…

jimw
    Free Member

I use one most of the time, only reaching for the CamelBak on events or day long rides.
    The one I have came from Mountain warehouse and was about £7

Just found the latest version at £10
    http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/running-accessories/waist-bags/ride-waist-bag-p13362.aspx?cl=BLACK

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve got about half a dozen of various sizes, and use whichever one suits the ride. People who don’t use them, how do you carry wallet and keys? Most of my cycling (and running) gear has at best inadequate pockets, often nothing at all.

racingsnail
    Free Member

As much as I want to hate them I recon I’d probably use that new Mavic one. But you know just where there aren’t people around or do what they’re designed for travelling fast and light and not stopping to listen to the ridicule.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to use one all the time bitd. I went to camelbaks when they came out and never looked back. I hated the weight hanging off my waist; IMO my back is the best place for it. The bum bag also bounced up and down something awful.

scotroutes

I’ve been using an Ortlieb one all summer. Tends to be more difficult now the weather is more changeable and I take more stuff with me.

for those that care, that wee floating pocket on the rear is exactly the right size and placement for a Spot Tracker.

hora
    Free Member

Molgrips mine moulds into the small of my back. I forget its there. The dakine one in the OP looks like faux-style over function. Mine gets muddy and forgotten/blends in.

BoardinBob

The dakine one in the OP looks like faux-style over function

Plenty of function. Camo is bogging. Stealth black for the win

wukfit
    Free Member

Have you thought about an enduro sash?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Recycling old content. My bumbag tale from back in the day. Seems appropriate!*

I remember a long time ago, a sales event, hosted by a major US bike manufacturer. They had brought in their head honcho of accessories to speak to the great and good of the UK bike industry.

They told us all about their new range of fanny packs and how proud they were of the range. There was a small titter in the room.

‘We’ve got the small fanny”
    Sniggering

‘We’ve got a medium fanny”
    Gentle guffawing

‘We’ve got a large fanny”
    Starting to lose it now, the audience were in tears

“And, finally, this year, we’re really proud that this year, we can finally show you our new, extra large, expandable fanny”

Falling off chairs

alexh
    Free Member

Same one as hora.

Won’t go back to a bag.

zippykona

I had one ride with one and ended up with a stiff back.
    Whether it was due to said bag I don’t know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Bum bags. They came back. Have the gone again?’ is closed to new replies.