Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Built this for my Dad today… New Road Bike
  • mboy
    Free Member

It’s only the stock kit build, so 10spd Tiagra and R500’s, but it’s a surprisingly nice ride! No doubt I’ll subtly upgrade it over time, but the 10spd Tiagra pleasantly surprised me on a quick round the block test.

Kinesis Gran Fondo V2 Ti for anyone that’s wondering, in a 57cm frame.

mboy
    Free Member

A couple more…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nice. Christmas present?

mboy
    Free Member

In a very roundabout sort of way yes. Just gotta put the guards on it and properly accessorise it for him. He’s not ridden properly in years, though he potters about occasionally on his Dawes Galaxy. He finally admitted that he’s never used the Dawes for what it was intended for though, and something lighter and quicker (that could still take 28’s, guards and a rack) was called for. A quick trip up and down the road and he exclaimed “if I’d had something like this when I rode Ireland (E2E in 5 days) I’d have done it in half the time!”

Needless to say I think he likes it. And so do I actually, though if it were mine it’d probably have a full Campag build and some much lighter wheels and tyres.

takisawa2

That’s really lovely.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lovely bike and what a lovely thing to do too.

My dad was a road rider back in the day but it sounds like my mum made him give it all up when us lot came along.

I feel a bit sorry for him that I continue to ride and have a family but he gave it all up.

Sadly he’s too old to throw the leg over these days.

Hope you both enjoy the bike.

PePPeR

Lovely bike! Shouldn’t you be getting all those bikes ready for Christmas though? 😀

How’s the opening going?

I reckon you ought to get a Bike shop ride organised in the new year, get all the Singletrack oldies out again! (That’s oldies as in who shot the bear oldies!)

TiRed

but it’s a surprisingly nice ride!

Good geometry, regardless of material, is always a good ride. And Tiagra shifts better than Ultegra.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

V nice!

Lucky chap having a (obviously minted) son like you!

Hopefully my son will do something similar for me in years to come……

stevied
    Free Member

Very nice that.

nick1962
    Free Member

Shoddy build,not road legal,no reflectors 😉

MrOvershoot

Your dad is a lucky chap, but he probably deserves it as he obviously did a good job of bringing you up.
    Looks like you got the chain length spot on too, its amazing how good the quality of the lower level group-sets is these days.
    Also good to see you didn’t try to “slam” the stem.

mboy
    Free Member

Lucky chap having a (obviously minted) son like you!

Erm. Can’t quite take that credit in fairness. He’s paying for it (hence it only being a present in a very roundabout sort of way) and I get trade discount as I work in the trade. Did spend time helping him select it, and of course I’ve built it for him. Gonna get it setup properly ASAP and sort him out some decent clothing too.

How’s the opening going?

Slow! CCTV still being fitted at the mo, so still mess everywhere. Hopefully be able to open properly tomorrow.

I reckon you ought to get a Bike shop ride organised in the new year, get all the Singletrack oldies out again! (That’s oldies as in who shot the bear oldies!)

Great minds think alike! Was sat thinking the same thing only the other day. Would be nice to make a weekend of it maybe, but if only a day I can certainly guide a good FoD ride these days myself anyway.

Shoddy build,not road legal,no reflectors

😆

I believe in the absence of reflectors, lights are allowed! You may spot the Lezyne Femto’s front and back and the 400 lumen Moon light up front too… 😉

Looks like you got the chain length spot on too, its amazing how good the quality of the lower level group-sets is these days.

Should hope I got the chain length right, I am a mechanic! 😉 As for the Tiagra, my experience is it definitely wears faster than 105 or Ultegra (from a shifter and mech point of view), but it does have a lighter action.

Also good to see you didn’t try to “slam” the stem.

My dad is gonna be 60 in April! If it was any lower than that he’d have complained. Both of us are 5ft10, if it was my bike I’d have gone for a 54 not a 57, to get the shorter head tube, and run a 110-120 stem instead of the 100 on this. But this 57 fits him well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hope my boy gets me something that nice when I’m 60 🙂 (thankfully still some 20 years to go!)

mboy
    Free Member

Well they say size matters…

Just fitted 28c Duranos and full guards to it for him so he will finally get out and ride it (was a delay on the guards)… Not gonna pretend fitting was straightforward (full guards never are!) but it has 28’s on and full guards with no rubbing!

I’m actually very jealous right now… Might have to get out and do some miles on it for him! 😉

ElShalimo

Just ride it and tell him the bike pixies made it dirty

rOcKeTdOg

Where’s this shop then?

z1ppy
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Built this for my Dad today… New Road Bike’ is closed to new replies.