Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Budget Forks – Rockshox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm
  • Harry_the_Spider

Any good?

Not got a pot of cash to spend and I want new ones.

Not fussed about adjustable this and remote that. I just want some forks that will work and last for a few years that don’t cost the earth.

chambord
    Free Member

I’ve got these on my 2011 Cindercone. Have ridden them for a few years and never serviced (Bit of lube on the stanchions every ride) and they’ve served me well over all trails in the dark peak (Esp Hope valley), and the odd trail centre.

I am quite heavy on the poor things (Not because of the trails I ride but because I’m a lump with no skillz) so that must say something good about reliability.

I’ve been told the damping is rubbish but I’ve never had a problem with them. It is my first bike though so not much to compare them to :P.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mine have been faultless.

heav-ish*, but bombproof, simple, and cheap.

(*the steel stanchions aren’t light, but they’re very durable)

if anything, they’re very similar to the xc 32’s (i’ve got a pair of those too) have you considered them? – very similar, but even cheaper.

overall: they’re good, and excellent value for money.

chambord – Member

…I’ve been told the damping is rubbish…

probably by people who’ve bought MUCH more expensive forks, with loads of adjustment that they have no idea how to use.

it’s not rubbish, it’s adequate.

Harry_the_Spider

adequate

bombproof

excellent value for money

Sounds just right for a clumsy, technology averse tight bastard like myself. 😀

Thanks.

miketually
    Free Member

I keep looking at these, whenever On-One have a bunch of them cheap. Good to hear that they’re decent.

I only had bouncy forks (some old Bonbers that I got for £35) for a couple of rides before the bike got nicked, but they were a giggle. Felt like cheating though.

technology averse

Aren’t you an engineer? 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

I bought some for a mate’s build.

They’re great vfm, only thing I’d say is you probably need a stiffer coil spring which are only 22ish quid.

Harry_the_Spider

Aren’t you an engineer?

Real world engineer. Stuff that will work in an industrial environment for 25 years with minimal intervention.

nickjb
    Free Member

Was just about to post about the spring. Mine came with a medium but that seems to be right for skinny models and small children. If you are buying new you might be able to get the right spring as part of the deal

mogrim

Slight hijack, what’s a decent budget fork at 120-130mm? Not tapered, it’s an older bike…

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, you can get 120mm recons…

can’t you?

Harry_the_Spider
    core

I had 120mm recon’s on my bike, just swapped them for reba’s (being a tart tbh), they were good forks, but for anyone heavier they need a stronger spring as mine (I’m 15st) would ‘dive’ a fair bit at the bottom of steep banks, making you feel as if you’re about to go over the bars.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m 3st lighter than you. I’ll see how I get on with them.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Do they have to be RS?

Been pretty impressed with my Suntour Epicons so far, which are very veyr nearly budget – the Raidons get decent write-ups as a budget fork, too.

mogrim

ahwiles – Member
    er, you can get 120mm recons…

can’t you?

Dunno, hence the question 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Dunno, hence the question

Pretty sure you can get a range of travel options from 80 to 130 or there is a U turn model with adjustable travel from 85-130. Not sure if this is true of the latest models though as I’m generally a bit out of date

Harry_the_Spider

😕 Meh. Out of stock apparently.

However, found an ebay shop doing them for a tenner less.

johnellison
    Free Member

If you can get the golds, go for them. The damping is way better than the Silver. I have personal experience.

Harry_the_Spider

Got the Silver. I’ll just have to live with it. Besides after riding round on ancient and broken Marzocchis anything is going to feel better.

Harry_the_Spider

Well, they arrived within 20 hours of ordering and the price was a tenner less than On-One, and On-One’s price was pretty good to start off with!

Will use the seller again.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Absolute-Cycles

Dead chuffed… apart from having to buy some new forks in the first place.

Harry_the_Spider

Well… I’ve put them on and they are a bit soft (medium spring) but that may just be because the older ones had been seizing up over time and I had got used to them. Rebound is OK after a bit of twiddling. Weight wise they are about the same as the Marzocchi 33s that I took off.

Pretty pleased with them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Budget Forks – Rockshox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm’ is closed to new replies.