Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • bucks off road sportiff
  • goot
    Free Member

How tough is it ?

Thinking of 100 or 121 k

how much climbing / terrain ?

Thanks

S

tinsy
    Free Member

Did the 100 last year its a nice ride, varied terrain…. at about 75k I would have quite liked a granny ring!!

Enjoy it.

br
    Free Member

On last years event the 'difference' between the 100km and 121km was 2 climbs up the Wendover to Dunsmore valley (circa 170m height gain *2), and then 1 climb back on to The Hale (circa 90m height gain).

Some on the web is the 2009 route plan, I found it once but not since… Don't undersestimate the ups/downs.

oldgit
    Free Member

The Hundred catches a few people out. It's not technically tough at all, but they go out of their way to find all the hills.
    I've not done the 121 but I've heard it's tough i.e thinking it's just another 12 miles added on at the end will be a mistake.
    I think it's a great event, but wouldn't bother with the 121 really.

vinnyeh

It's a good day out. Lots less road than HONC. Didn't do the 121km, but from comments, those extra 21km were pretty hard won.

tonto
    Free Member

I did the 121 last year, it was pretty tough but enjoyable.
    Nothing technical and the climbs are small and often rather than an hour up and 10 miunutes down.

ononeorange

In the area so much depends on the conditions. Have struggled to do the 75k in previous (wet) years, last year did the 121 which was tough but not so much that it wasn't enjoyable, it was a lot of fun.

IF the rain holds off, it's certainly do-able.

Doing the 80k this year so I can ride with Mrs Ononeorange – very proud of her for putting her name down for this, her first organised event.

oldgit
    Free Member

I've been so wrapped up in the cross/road/xc seasons planning I forgot to sort this, and we were meant to be doing this as a social ride. For some reason I thought it had been moved on to later in the year?
    Off to see if it's too late.

JamesP
    Free Member

OG – no need to go anywhere 🙂 Online entry is still available but will close soon. At present there will be a few entries on the day but I wouldn't count on this.

The routes are different this year but the 121km version is no easier. At present the trails are hard and running fast.

The signing has begun – its a massive job and all riders will be issued with a number this year. The other news is that For Goodness Shakes will be supplying their new recovery drink in powder form to all entrants, eat natural will be supply their tasty bars and Buzz Bar will also be on hand dishing out their wares. If that wasn't enough all finishers get a commemorative glass and beer (or soft drink) at the bar. Can't say fairer than that.

I'll be at sign on – too much to do to ride so say hi if you head down.

Dickyboy

signed up for the 121km yesterday, I guess I'll find out sometime Sunday if it was a mistake or not 😳

JamesP
    Free Member

You wont be on your own plenty of people have signed up for 121km. Its the 21km extension on the 100km that makes it tough. That's where all the climbing is 🙂 Enjoy!

ps44
    Free Member

😥 broken metatarsal will prevent me turning up this year – can't manage more than about an hour in the saddle at the mo.

slowjo
    Free Member

I'm down for the 100 but have only been on my bike for 1.5 hours in the last 3 weeks due to illness. Was putting decent mileage in before that (approx 400 miles in 2 weeks) so I hope my stamina hasn't deserted me!

JamesP
    Free Member

Slowjo – worst case…there's plenty of pubs along the way! 🙂

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

yer im in for this one, doing the 100k i think. should be nice

Jason
    Free Member

I am entered in the 121km event. I think I am looking forward to it and just about to go and fit an extra bottle cage to the bike in preparation.

Already looking forward to a beer at the end!

symes
    Free Member

I have entered the 121km event, now having second thoughts over the distance. Time will tell I suppose.

slowjo
    Free Member

Great event.. had fun.

Lots of Yummy Mummies on the way round out with Tarquin pretending to be in the country! 🙂

I'll do it again.

I did manage the full 100k despite feeling shagged out after 2km. (see earlier post!)

luked2
    Free Member

The flapjack at the two feed stations was just incredible. I'd love to know the recipe.

pete68
    Free Member

Did the 121km and thought it was a good day out.Plenty of woodsy tracks, shame about the rain near the end.Finished in 6:50 which i was pretty happy with.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

it was a fantastic event, some great riding and some great food at the stops. i done the 121k in 5.40 so i just missed the rain thank god!

Dickyboy

did the 121k too but the rain got me well & proper 😥 after some leisurely sandwich stops saw me round in 7.30

rbrstr
    Free Member

I did the 121k in 8 hours 10 and it about killed me! i laughed about the flapjack recipe comment, it was nice wasnt it! didnt get any at the second food stop but the kind gentleman did soak my gloves with his hose!

plumzrichard:121k in 5.40 mins,well done friend, thats a very very impressive time

numplumz
    Free Member

PlumzRichard it was 5:47 😉 and yes very impressive as he's only 18. I thought youngsters wern't supposed to be any good at endurance, but damn near killed me!

What a fantastic day out, well done to the organisers. superb riding and finishing with a memento glass filled with Guiness topped it off.
    Really felt for those that had to finish in the rain though.

Ti29er
    Free Member
    Jason
    Free Member

I got around the 121km in 6:47. I paced myself totally wrong, I went way too slow until the 2nd feedstation, then speeded up until the finish. I think it was only the last 5 miles where I had the rain.

I thought it was a very good route, a real nice mix of terrain. I was glad I had the route on the GPS as there were a few places where the signs seemed to have disappeared and it would have been very easy to take a wrong turn.

Overall a great day out, and excellent value for money considering the free food and pint glass.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘bucks off road sportiff’ is closed to new replies.