Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • British Airways – Taking a bike – How much?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Anybody got any idea how much it costs to take a mountain bike in a bag on a BA flight?

Thanks

Ken

Sam

Should just be able to take it as your luggage allowance.

Sam

p.s. sorry I never got back to you about that cross frame. We can do it, will drop you an email.

giantjason
    Free Member

i went earlier on in the year and was £28 each way.

if you go to europe you are only allowed one bag as part of your allowance so have to pay the extra.

if you go to the states you get a two bag allowance one of which could be the bike bag

NZCol

Up to 23kg bag is allegedly 30 quid oversize and/or more than 23kg is plus 35 quid. Saying that they too my serfas case which was oversize and 23.5 kg on their scales for free. So, dunno.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

£28 per bike per way. It's just classed as simple excess luggage which ups your bike to 32kg. we flew BA to Colorado in July.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Nope you still only get 1 back to go the USA. I flew there in July and we had to pay for the extra bag to take it up to 2 each.

markyd

it always used to be 2 bags to usa but changed to 1 earlier this year

ken_shields
    Free Member

Thanks folks

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

flew heathrow – vienna a few weeks ago and bike went FREE both ways.
    check BA's oversize luggage terms, they are quite clear. as long as the bike box fits certain dimensions (quite generous) and is under 23kgs it's free, not like shit lufthansa who you should NEVER use when bringing a bike.
    it's part of your luggage allowance of 1 bag though as others pointed out, so stuff all clothes and gear you can get away with into the bike box.

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

found the link, here's the t&cs:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

so apparently bike boxes can even be any size you like. best airline i've ever taken bikes with for sure.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It does say in the T&C's that ONLY bikes are supposed to be packed in the bag!! So I'd be cautious, let's face it £28 each way isn't much in the scheme of things. Plus my bike bag was searched on the way back, as they left a little note in it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We took bike foc from Heatrow to Geneva last year but they changed things for this year and it was so unclear that their own sales staff didn't know so instead we flew with easyjet.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you book on line it is so easy to sort out baggage and T&C's are clear. Just pre-book the bikes otherwise you turn up at the airport and get stung big time. Oh and make sure you have your booking print out with the extra bag paid for.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘British Airways – Taking a bike – How much?’ is closed to new replies.