Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bristol, how I have missed thee…
  • noteeth
    Free Member

…let me count the ways, me babbers – there’s the traffic, bike theft & cheap heroin, for starters.

After five years’ exile in Southampton (nurse training, part-time archaeology MA), I am due to return to San Fran Bristo tomorrow morning. I’m betting that a whole bunch of things (record shops, clubs, pubs, trails) that I loved about the place have changed or gone… but, by gawd, I can’t wait to be back! Not that life in Southampton has been unbearable (thanks to some lovely work colleagues & the ace tangled network of trails that is Lordswood singletrack), but the south-west has always been home. I’m greatly looking forward to being within easy reach of [my native] Mendip… and a nice pint of Gem.

Only room for one(!) bike at my new place – if you see somebody in Leigh Woods on an incredibly out-of-date Bontrager, tis possibly me. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cool. Gan’t go wrong with Gem. See you on the hill.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Welcome back noteeth.

Whereabouts will you be living?

noteeth
    Free Member

Buzz: yeah, here’s hoping for a dry summer!

DD: Greville Smyth Park end of Southville, so five minutes from the woods. Previously lived in Bedminster for five years, and I wanted to stay that side…

rp16v
    Free Member

wahay anuver one for briztol…
    welcome home lad :mrgreen:

Pigface
    Free Member

Celebrate at the Friary, is it still there?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Friary Cafe? Still there.

clubber
    Free Member

welcome back! just in time for the new trails 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Friary is still there. There are new trails?

clubber
    Free Member

you know, the ones currently being sanitised without consultation… 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I really need to get off my road bike. Where? AC?

CountZero

There’s still a Fop at the bottom of Park Street, and Brissle’s still got a sh1t-load of good live venues, especially the Thekla. Start The Bus is pretty good, too.

molgrips
    Free Member

really need to get off my road bike

Darcy you’re not far from me (when I’m home) I can drag you up into the Valleys if you like?

clubber
    Free Member

AC and LW DD – fancy going out for a spin some time – seems silly to chat on here all the time but never actually meet up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Def up for that clubber. Weekend supposed to be smashing too!!

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, bit slimy out this morning but I reckon it’ll be nice by the weekend. The new trail does look silly fast too..

noteeth
    Free Member

just in time for the new trails

New trails, eh? I seem to have timed it well. 😉

It’ll be a while before I’m properly online again, but suffice to say… I am so, so happy to be back.

MrAgreeable

Greville Smyth Park end of Southville

You’ll be coming to help out with the new pump track and jumps area then? 😉

http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/news/150-south-bristol-pump-track

As far as record shops go, get over to Wanted and Payback in St Nick’s Market. Both worth a browse!

noteeth
    Free Member

Thanks MrA. Yes, I will try & lend a hand with BTG’s various activities… it’s mostly beer drinking, right? 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Noteeth, get yourself out with the Cheesy Riders…

thebunk

Welcome home! I’m not a native, but I love the place. Apart from the riots.

Fopp and Rise are at either end of Park street, good few shops around Cheltenham/Gloucester Road too.

Thekla, Louisiana, Trinity, Jesters, Start the Bus and the Thunderbolt are all good and different venues.

Grain Barge for post ride steaks and pies, and proper Brizzle Ale, none of that Bath rubbish!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You realise Bath Alea are brewed in Warmley? Probably closer to Bristol than Bath 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

But the Great Western Brewing Company are closer to Bristol and recommended.

thebunk

You realise Bath Alea are brewed in Warmley? Probably closer to Bristol than Bath

They called themselves Bath Ales the lying gits! I have flagellated myself with a stolen Apollo All Terrain Bike, so hopefully I have can be forgiven for this monstrous wrong.

Having said that, I too was lying. Gem’s lovely!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Agreed! Their stuff is lovely!

As is Butcombe’s and Bristol Beer Factory (which is what’s at the Tobacco Factory as well as The Grain Barge).

ransos
    Free Member

Beer Factory beer also at The Windmill, who keep it better than the Tobacco factory. But you can’t beat a pint of Gem from The Merchants, in my book.

pjt201
    Free Member

thebunk – Member
    Grain Barge for post ride steaks and pies, and proper Brizzle Ale, none of that Bath rubbish!

Don’t think i’ve heard anything more singletrack than post ride steaks apres ride at the Grain Barge.

What’s wrong with a pint of thatchers and a sausage and egg sandwich in the nova?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Butcombe’s gives me wind.

andy_hamgreen

you’d better hurry up if you want to get into Leigh Woods – the bloke that **seems** to be turning the old south side of the quarry route into a family trail – told me that they are extending the ‘hand of friendship’ into Leigh woods…..I think he said 7km of new ‘trails’ (can’t be right?)

SSBonty
    Free Member

NIce one Chris! We’re heading back for a wedding in 2 weeks, (actually it’s Pam, our MSc supervisor from your ‘first’ masters!) and staying for a week, we likes Brizzle too… Currently working out if I can sneak a singlespeed onto the flight, so might be up for a ride one eve if you’re around? MIght even be the bonty if I have time to fix it. Drop me a line…

noteeth
    Free Member

heading back for a wedding

Hello mate, hope all well with you & the dinosaurs. It would be excellent to catch up – I’m still not on the tinternet at home (I’ve been reduced to checking my e-mail at the Watershed 😳 ), but I will be in contact!

backhander
    Free Member

I can enthusiastically recommend beers from the Cotswold spring brewery. It’s in codrington and the Rose, codrington codger and honey bear is lovely. Go up there and get some proper cask ale in a bag.

gwaelod
    Free Member

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Hooters-facing-boobcake-probe/story-12708757-detail/story.html

BRISTOL restaurant Hooters is facing an inquiry after a 3D ‘boob cake’ was allegedly served at a 12-year-old’s birthday party.

my 7 mth old is obsessed with boobies

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This is on next weekend at The Paintworks. Sounds nichetastic.

(probably done on the other forum that I rarely read)

http://www.bespokedbristol.co.uk/Bespoked_BristolThe_UK_Handmade_and_Boutique_Bicycle_Show_2011.html

CountZero
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oops…that’s life for me…shonkiness!

Cheers CZ.

yunki
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a pint of thatchers and a sausage and egg sandwich?

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

So noteeth – it’s been a day, has your bike been nicked yet?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bristol, how I have missed thee…’ is closed to new replies.