Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Breaking in to my own garage
  • votchy
    Free Member

Last night, feeling all pleased with myself after fixing the shower that had been playing up in the bathroom I went out to the garage to put my tools away only to find that the up and over garage door handle is no longer attached to the mechanism that releases the two bolts at the top of the door. **** I thought to myself.

So, does anyone know how I can open my garage door without wrecking it? Obviously this is a sensitive subject for all of us that have stuff in our garage that we don't want pinching. If you genuinely know how to do this then feel free to e-mail me, adddress is in profile.

No other access to garage otherwise I wouldn't be asking. I believe the fire brigade know how to do this so maybe one of the stw massiv firemen might be able to help.

bruneep

maybe one of the stw massiv firemen might be able to help

Now where do you live? 😉

votchy
    Free Member

bruneep,

that looks like it may leave more than slight cosmetic damage to the door 😯

Davy
    Free Member

Is there really no other access? Not even a window that you could break? That would be a lot cheaper to replace than the door. Failing that, it might be worth phoning your insurance company, to see what they can do…

flatfish
    Free Member

my number is in my profile give me a bell and i'll see if i can talk you through it.

i'm the resident stw locksmith.

votchy
    Free Member

No other access at all, brick garage with tiled roof

votchy
    Free Member

flatfish,

no number on profile and 3 on your website, which one do I use?

flatfish
    Free Member

mobile

Del

if you're relying on your up and over handle/cable to secure your bikes i'll come round and nick them myself. 😯

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just a couple of pins at the perimeter of the door that you need to shift.

scaredypants

wot del said – if you're keeping posh bikes in it, and not just temporarily, you need better security than currently

I've seen two 14 yr-old kids force an up & over door

jova54
    Free Member

Just pop down your local primary school. There'll be a dozen or more experts in years 5 or 6 who'll have it open in a couple of ticks for you. 😀

If you're anywhere near Guildford I could recommend some to you as they keep breaking into the council garages next to my house. 😉

votchy
    Free Member

The door is not the only thing I rely on for security, ground anchors and big padlocked chains too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Isnt it just a "catch" at the top, in the centre? That's how I used to get into my parents house when I'd forgotten my keys. Then slid a thin doormat under garage door inside and pop the key through with a pokey thing so the key falls onto the mat. Shimples.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it'd take me about half a second to kick our up and over garage door in. The neighbour would be out and armed with a snarling Alsation in about another half second though, and curtains would be twitching all over the place 🙂

rich-6
    Free Member

Lift the tiles on the roof, Pull the felt back and crawl between the latts, Your out of view, Look like a burglar and might get the police involved 8)

Toddboy
    Free Member

I once locked ourselves out of our first house by accident of course 😳

I then had to 'break in' to gain access. Without any experience in this type of thing, honestly, it was surprising just how quick, easy, and quietly I could break in 😯

Lesson learnt, after that I was always careful that I had my keys with me, and window locks were fitted on all windows 😀

votchy
    Free Member

flatfish – I owe you a pint 😀

After speaking to him yesterday (a locksmith) he talked me through how to open the door and last night it took me all of 30 seconds, thank god I have further deterrents and locks in the garage as I couldn't believe how easy it was. The mechanism has now been repaired and countermeasures taken to prevent further occurrences

once again a big thank you to flatfish

flatfish
    Free Member

no probs

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Breaking in to my own garage’ is closed to new replies.