Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Brant's new Ragley Ti29er Rigid prototypes have landed
  • AB
    Free Member

Look nice.

Will see how they turn out, but if the Alu ones seem good and are cheap enough I'll be very interested.

tootallpaul

Are there to be Ti forks to match?

nickc

There are too many Ragley versions to keep up with now. What weird angles/use/niche filling void is this one for?

Sam

What weird angles/use/niche filling void is this one for?

Rigid specific Ti 29er – that's not bad in terms of niche-ness…

AB
    Free Member

Agreed, Sam. Though I can't afford a Ti version, I've always fancied a rigid 29er.

Wonder how it will differ from a Scandal 29er with a rigid carbon fork?

mavisto
    Free Member

After all the fuss that was made about the rear dropout and the brake calliper position, interesting to see that the brake hanger is in a more 'traditional' position.

Reasons or more B.S.????

Harry_the_Spider

Those are the race frames for Twinklydave and Terrahawk. They are being nailed together at this very moment in Terrahawk's underground lair for a debut at SITS.

Stoner
    Free Member

mavisto – the adjustable drop out design pretty much rules out mounting the calliper inside the rear triangle because the amount of adjustability in the drop out is greater than is normally accommodated in the calliper bolt mount slots. It would probably also entail an awful lot of metal to use a single adjustable dropout to hold the axle and also position the caliper inside the rear triangle.

Oh, and of course mounting the calliper inside the rear triangle is unnecessary if you are using a sliding vertical dropout to adjust chain length anyway d'Oh! 🙂

Mounting inside the rear triangle is purely to isolate fore/aft forces under braking that could move the axle backwards along the track end. Not a problem I would think with a two bolt adjustable drop out plate.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Niche bike overload !!
    does anyone really GAF anymore what's come out of the 'magic shed'
    😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes.

Change the record hilldodger.
    You come over like Brant anally violated you at some point.
    Do you need to talk to someone about it?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Funny isn't it, any other trade person seeking some stw-dialogue gets blasted, 'others' just gets a fanboy to innocently post up a 'ooh look a new bike' thread and the hypefest ramps up another few notches….

….I've nothing against Brant, met him very briefly at a show once and he seemed OK and AFAIK my sphincter is still intact.

I just get a childlike pleasure out of baitng the niche-meisters who blindly follow their forum peers from one 'must have' to another, sorry not to be at your level of sophistication but there you are, we can't all be stoners
    😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I just get a childlike pleasure

could probably have stopped there really.

littleorangechunks
    Free Member

What's niche about a 29er made for rigid forks? All off road bikes were like that before MTBs.

Sam

What's niche about a 29er made for rigid forks? All off road bikes were like that before MTBs.

Well, I don't know how aware you are of currently available production 29" wheeled mountain bikes, but there are not many available which are not designed around a suspension fork. In fact the Redline Monocog is about the only one I can think of. Producing something which is otherwise not widely available in the marketplace – I'll take that as a working definition for a 'niche'.

mavisto
    Free Member

Stoner

I hadn't noticed all the fancy adjustable dropout stuff, looks interesting! I see what you mean about the amount of adjustment you'd need in the brake hanger to accommodate the amount of adjustment in the dropout.

Surely thought, if there is enough braking force to move a wheel backwards in the dropouts before, is there not enough braking force to move the new dropout arrangement in the frame? Should have made it so the adjustment bolt mounts directly into the sliding dropout (Copyright 2009), the dropout wouldn't move either way then.

Still can't get used to curved seat tubes either!!!!

hilldodger
    Free Member

could probably have stopped there really.

but why stop when it feels so gooood 😀

adeward
    Free Member

the brake mount is attached to dropout ( i think ) so it's always the correct distance from the dropout no matter where the slotted adjuster is

Stoner
    Free Member

mavisto – the slotted dropout is for use with QR hubs (as well as SS bolted etc) so the amount of force that would be needed to potentially move the axle backwards in the track end is much less than the force that two bolts clamping an adjustable dropout would need.

Stoner
    Free Member

ade – yes, we know. We're discussing Brant not following on with the calliper mount inside the rear triangle design.

momentum
    Free Member

I don't understand the point of making it rigid specific – you narrow the customer base for the frame to people who will only ever want to ride rigid and you narrow their choice of forks, since most rigid forks are suspension corrected. I'm also guessing that a longer rigid fork would have a bit more give than a shorter one, which would be a good thing. I can't see any advantages, except perhaps shorter stack height, but the headtube already looks tiny.

AB
    Free Member

hilldodger

Funny isn't it, any other trade person seeking some stw-dialogue gets blasted, 'others' just gets a fanboy to innocently post up a 'ooh look a new bike' thread and the hypefest ramps up another few notches….

Hilldodger, I know Brant about as well as I know you, so mind your comments.

It's a news about a new bike frame that I posted on a bike forum for the benefit of people who are interested in such things.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I don't understand the point of making it rigid specific…since most rigid forks are suspension corrected

you seen how high the front of a scandal 29er is?

aircraft license required to ride i think my mate commented!

martinh
    Free Member

I always found the Scandal front a little low.

CountZero

I just get a childlike pleasure out of baitng the niche-meisters

Yeah, well, when you're all growed up, and your mummy lets you have a big bike, then you can make a proper grown-up contribution. Anyway, I think it's past your bedtime.

nuke

So the 29er gets adjustable dropouts but no 26" as yet with adjustable dropouts…something we can expect in the future ❓

momentum
    Free Member

you seen how high the front of a scandal 29er is?

aircraft license required to ride i think my mate commented!

Guess it's a matter of perspective – I have a 37.5" inside leg so the headtube of all the on ones was too short! I got a singular instead and the bars are still an inch below my saddle despite 30mm of spacers

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Brant's new Ragley Ti29er Rigid prototypes have landed’ is closed to new replies.