• This topic has 142 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Brands you wouldn't touch with a barge pole…
  • legend
    Free Member

Ragley
    Hayes
    Sunseeker

Other than that I’m a capitalist pig 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

DrRSwank Hope

Could you expand a little on that statement

If convinced, I’ll sell my stem, qtr, seat clamp, wheels?

And if I do can anyone recommend a brand that’s more exclusive – I don’t want to come across as cheap and nasty now 😳

philconsequence
    Free Member

sierra cycling.

convert

What happened to Audi then? Is it a bit like Helly Hansen and North Face – a brand taken over by a new audience. Audi used to be quiet cool I thought (thinking 80’s, 90’s) with the quattro setting new standards in rally but the core market being design orientated but quiet conservative buyers not dissimiliar to Saab owners but wanting a car that actually worked.

I don’t see much more knobish motorway behaviour from Audi drivers than any other, but maybe I’m not looking for it with preconceptions. I don’t drive one btw.

monkfish
    Free Member

only one I positively go out of my way to avoid is Murdoch

Binners that ad makes my teeth itch

mark_b
    Free Member

Brands I’m working to wean myself off:

The Metro “news” paper

If it helps i found it much easier to give this up when i found it was printed by the same news group as the Mail.

SaxonRider

What a therapeutic thread. Thanks.

1) Orange (the bike company). I just hate the whole image they convey.

2) WalMart/Asda
    3) McDonald’s
    4) Vauxhall/GM
    5) Sky
    6) Liverpool FC (and most other football clubs TBH)

I’ll post again when all the others come to me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Every rep and saleman of the year drives a 2l Audi nowadays with their **** chavtastic led lights.

I like BMW but the new 1 series ad is doing a good job of putting me off. “My brother Cecil is an architect and likes to play a spot of rugger don’t you know, what what what. I’m Jeffrey and I’m an aspiring actoorrr and a bit of a ladies man, I’d never drive the same car as that boring ****, oh bugger!”

I don’t think I’d ever buy Crapple.

But I do shop at Aldi and Lidl and drive a Skoda.

kayak23

Kona – FUGLY
    Go Compare – go piss up a rope, have you no self respect?
    Mcdonalds
    MBUK
    Own brand Cola

thebunk

The Metro “news” paper

If it helps i found it much easier to give this up when i found it was printed by the same news group as the Mail.

I actually already knew that – but I try and justify it because I need something to read on the train for 10 minutes and it’s free. If I’ve got time I’ll buy i for 20p, but I’m not always organised enough in the morning.

Actually was wondering if it was ethically OK to grab the whole stack of Metros and put them straight in the recycling bin…

13thfloormonk

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Cranks Bros yet. I’ve got nothing against them per se, its just that they represent everything that I object to on a mountainbike, i.e. needlessly pretty and needlessly delicate (from what I’ve heard and seen, I’ve not even chanced my own money on any of their stuff).

Have never and will never buy Apple, probably because I spent my childhood in a Juventus football top with a massive SONY printed across the front 😳

camo16
    Free Member

Have never and will never buy Apple, probably because I spent my childhood in a Juventus football top with a massive SONY printed across the front

That must be why I’m still pining for a New Holland tractor…

ski
    Free Member

Bank
    GAP
    superdry
    M&S
    samsung
    Rolex
    Cartier, etc
    Rapha

Quite a few, now that you got me thinking 😉

aP
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – the new stupid bmw 1series add says that his idiot brother works with architects, not that he is one – I don’t know any who’d drive a bimmer1

Back on topic
    evisu
    howies
    specialized
    commencal
    next
    bench
    bmw
    audi
    seat
    land rover
    jeep
    mfi
    world of leather
    Daily Mail
    anything to do with sky
    tesco
    asda

hora
    Free Member

– Tesco.
    – Is it Go compare? where you enter your details and the next thing you know it says ‘an advisor will be in touch’ – it turns out to be their tied-financial advisor company who probably pays them a commission/retainer?

Should be M&S- I once took a shirt back that said ‘fitted’ and it turned out to be the biggest yacht sail that I have ever seen. I even put it on over my coat to demonstrate infront of a big queue how ridiculous it was to the Assistant and Deputy Manager who refused. Then offered me a ‘50% refund for good will reasons as they couldn’t resell it due to its being opened and packaging damaged’.

The shirt was a 16.5 neck and 42inch chest. I’m 6ft2 and 210 lb.

camo16
    Free Member

commencal

😯

aP, I’ll pretend I didn’t see that!

What’s up with the Andorran beast? Do Commies really deserve to be put in the same list as mfi and world of leather? WTF?

* tries to calm down *

It’s at times like these that I need Japanese Zen wisdom…

“Don’t seek the truth, just drop your opinions. Drop your theories, don’t seek the truth.”
    “Don’t seek the truth, just drop your opinions. Drop your theories, don’t seek the truth.”

And repeat

richmtb

Crank Bros (at least anything they make with a bearing in it)
    Tesco
    Vauxhall
    Boots (here come the girls – piss off!)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How can this thread have got so far without mention of DFS?

hora
    Free Member

On DFS and the sort in general. I wont go near ‘sofa sellers’ like them as I’d worry they’d go bust whilst holding onto your deposit etc.

Not withstanding their sofas are truly gopping.

finbar
    Free Member

Another one for the Murdoch empire here. I really hope Cav doesn’t end up on Team Sky (if it’s been announced by now i’ve missed it), ‘cos i just can’t get behind them.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Vodascum. Because they are just that – scum.

Oh, and Ribble.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

BID-TV and the clones thereof.

kayak23

On DFS and the sort in general. I wont go near ‘sofa sellers’ like them as I’d worry they’d go bust whilst holding onto your deposit etc

Mind you, I did hear they might have a sale on…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ford – largest non-German user of slave labour in the concentrtaion camps followed by the Pinto fiasco
    Nestle – baby milk
    Nike and anyone else involved in far east sweat shops
    KFC – not really a boycott, just don’t eat there because it’s sh1t
    Anything to do with Murdoch (but most of it’s sh*t anyway, so no hardship there)

iDave
    Free Member

Howies
    Nestle
    Vauxhall
    Tesco
    Rapha

jon1973
    Free Member

Any barge pole manufacturer.

duntstick
    Free Member

Philby

Sky
    Tesco
    Nike
    Jamie Oliver products
    Conservative Party
    Daily Mail
    Ryanair- amazed this hasn’t been mentioned before
    Manchester United

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh, SCS (sofas); unscrupulous ****s
    Superdry +1 horrific chavwear
    Hollister; put some lights in your shop FFS
    EDIT: RYANAIR! how could I have missed that?

Duggan

yunki
    Free Member

I’m loving some of the self-righteous nominations here..

I can’t even imagine the depth of hypocracy that must accompany these lofty ideals.. 😆

hora
    Free Member

Hollister; put some lights in your shop FFS

😆

Oh have another

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superdry and any other purveyor of those stupid T-shirts with pointless waffle on them.
    Evans and Rayments bike shops (Brands? Not sure. Don’t care!)
    K2 Skis – Soooooo ugly!
    Ryanair
    Cathay Pacific (Economy class only. Business is ace!)
    Stella – No, it’s not “cidre”, it’s monkeypiss flavoured with apple-like chemicals
    And many, many more, but lunch is calling.

eyerideit
    Free Member

So….
    What’s wrong with Hope?

Anyone have an answer for this burning question?

ads678

What happened to Audi then?

Jeremy Clarkson said they were the new BMW, so it must be true!!

shortcut

Avid – if I can’t bleed’em and can’t shorten the hoses I am not interested.
    Fox – well their forks – whats with all the stanchion wear stuff? Rockshox for me.
    Toyota – just don’t fancy them.
    Nissan – ditto
    Sangyong – well
    Hyundai – I drove one once!

Aside for that no one really offends me. On the points others have mentioned –
    Volvo, BMW – both good and reliable. My current BMW is pretty reliable, quick and cheap to run.
    Vodafone coverage is better than I get with Orange at the moment so I am going back.
    Sky – nowt wrong with them! Good service in my opinion.

Nick

The problem with Audi is that it’s just mindnumbingly dull, boring boring boring cars, boring to look at, boring to be in. I can’t imagine why anyone would spend anything on one unless they have absolutely no imagination whatsoever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hyundai – I drove one once!

+1. Hideous.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

What happened to Audi then? Is it a bit like Helly Hansen and North Face – a brand taken over by a new audience. Audi used to be quiet cool I thought (thinking 80’s, 90’s) with the quattro setting new standards in rally but the core market being design orientated but quiet conservative buyers not dissimiliar to Saab owners but wanting a car that actually worked.

Exactly right. Once Audi’s were cool, capable and unusual. Now every man and his dog has one. It’s the default car brand for people who care more about their own self image than what they actually drive. A default brand for those who want a flash motor, but who actually know very little about cars or driving.

Just look at the Q5 or Q7 or whatever it’s called. Utterly pointless vehicles that still cost the price of a small house. Not good on-road and not good off-road. You just look at one and you can guarantee that the driver will be a complete self important and clueless bell end.

What’s more, by enlarge modern Audi’s are horrible to drive. Has anyone driven a new Audi recently? I have driven lots and not through choice. Most are so firmly damped and uncomfortable that they would have your false teeth out if you ran over so much as a snail. Also the steering is so lacking in feel that you could wear a thick pair of mittens at the wheel and you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Old school Audis though – now they were good cars. Anything pre mid 90’s is cool in my book. Sadly Audi now cater for the pond life and the wannabee’s. Hence their modern cars cater for the lowest possible denominator who happen to have more cash (or bank loans) than common sense.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Superstar Components.

am i the only person in the world that think their brake pads are ok?

Boots (here come the girls – piss off!)

PMSL

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Brands you wouldn't touch with a barge pole…’ is closed to new replies.