Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Bow before me, the GOD OF BODGE…
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Got fed up of the chain derailing on my 1×9 commuting bike whenever a pothole coincided with a gear change…

BEHOLD:

Old light bracket and a cleverly adapted/shaped/twisted corner-brace. Worship me.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Nice use of flathead screw. Does it actually work?

Rickos
    Free Member

Ker-wality! Looks as good as most and probably loads lighter too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does it actually work?

Oops too late!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Works an absolute dream with no rubbage at all.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I use an old mech wedged open with the bit-o-plastic that came with it. Works beautifully.

timbur
    Free Member

How much posted? There's got to be a market for something of that quality.

Who said the UK manufacturing industry is dead :O)

ahwiles
    Free Member

that's nothing:

(broken frame fixed with a shoelace, electrical tape and an inner-tube)

yes i rode it, yes it held.

julianwilson
    Free Member

bonus bodge points for use slotty screw, other points would have been available but you seem to have made it all the same colour 🙂
    Do post up again after a few days to tell us how well it works.

Rickos
    Free Member

ahwiles – wish I'd had such ingenuity when my Hemlock snapped. Had to walk 8 or 9 miles back to the car.

IHN

It's good, but it drops a couple of points through not making use of a piece of old inner tube, as any high-scoring bodge should.

iain1775
    Free Member

now all you need to do is fashion yourself a new bottom bracket, that one looks a little rusty 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

And to think of the amount I paid for a Pauls chain keeper that does exactly the same job…

Genius work. 😀

JonR
    Free Member

ahwiles – wish I'd had such ingenuity when my Hemlock snapped. Had to walk 8 or 9 miles back to the car.

Hmmmm that could be the Hemlock off my shortlist.

Great piece of bodge is that, did the crudcatcher chap make a million from his sawn through coke bottle? Get it patented.

D0NK

Excellent, pump peg and bent metal? I see the chain guide is drilled for lightness too 🙂

Geronimo
    Free Member

Where's the duct tape and where are the cable ties?

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Where's the duct tape and where are the cable ties?

Same place as the pigeon feathers, bailer twine and badger fur. This is 'Shed Bodge'. Not 'Trailside Bodge' 😉

retro83
    Free Member

needs moar jubilee clips

ahwiles
    Free Member

JonR – Member

that would be a shame – there was an iffy batch, it's all sorted now. andits proper 'gulliver'.

awesome bike, i can't say enough good things about the handling / quality / character.

if you do have one of the few iffy ones, and it goes, you can fix it with an inner tube – show me that with a cracked commencal…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet it jams at some point.

5lab

i've fixed a snapped handlebar by sticking a stick through it (bit unsafe) and clamping over the crack, and managed to put a snapped chain back together with 2 rocks (that link reportedly held for the rest of the life of the chain) cos we didn't have a chain tool with us..

Rickos
    Free Member

JonR – Member

Don't worry. That was the old 2009 chainstay. 2010 version has much burlyness.

iain1775
    Free Member

show me that with a cracked commencal…

you wouldnt because it wouldnt be needed – from what I saw (alot) the vast majority of cracks never developed past a hairline weld fracture, they where largely still okay to ride, and some still are being riden
    And Commencal / Madison where more than reasonable with their waranty process, I know of several that where either out of warranty or abused and still got swopped (pics of a Meta 5 going off an 12' drop a few months before the owner found a hairline crack for example)

molgrips
    Free Member

That is a lovely bodge – chapeau.

I once snapped a seat clamp – fixed it by jamming a stick into the frame and putting the seatpost on top of it.

Best though, I once snapped a light bracket in the middle of the countryside late at night. It being the countryside, I carried on (carefully) looking for baler twine on the side of the road. Within half a mile I'd found some and lashed the light back onto the bike 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I've fashioned a makeshift bivvy from some barbed wire and a sheep carcass before now……

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

TM, nice bodge and also added a new word to the English vocabulary "rubbage".

A man of many talents. 😉

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

It being the countryside, I carried on (carefully) looking for baler twine on the side of the road.

Baler twine, you say? I'll see your 'side of the road' and raise you a 'field edge in the middle of nowhere':

What to do when your kevlar bead goes *ping* 25miles from home with no hope of rescue: Lash the tyre on with discarded baler twine at just the right amount of tension…

I tell you: GOD OF BODGE, me 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

That's pretty decent.

A mate of mine once bled his brakes in the middle of a 24 hour race, using nothing but a 2" piece of camelbak hose and the fluid that was already in them…

drain

Please, please, PLEASE don't encourage the man. He'll only go and bodge things at the slightest provocation for the smallest problette if you do 🙄 I'm the one who gets to hear about it at length on our rides too 😉

Fair do's though Chas, that is an ossum bodge, dude. Particularly like the attention to detail with the added araldite to gift it some body, nice touch. This is definitely more my style though:

singlecrack
    Free Member

*shakes head *

RichPenny
    Free Member

That's a reasonably well engineered solution, NOT a bodge at all!

paule
    Free Member

Good work that, I've made something similar on my commuter, but it attaches to the seattube bottle bosses instead of clamping round the tube.

Also made a 1×9 guide for my boingy bike, but that was machined from nylon and a lot closer to a proper job!

steve_b77
    Free Member

On a ride in Nant y Arin a couple of years ago one of the lads came off his stumpy and the front tyre ripped open, due to complete lack of new tyres he was up and running – once his head cleared from hitting the ground – witha tyre held onto the rim with elastoplast and cable ties no less.

The thing lasted for the remainder of the ride too 😀

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Shuddup, fatty singlecrack. At least I don't pinch-flat on Mendipian descents 😆

Ya gotta Ride light: like a panther.

(and, yes, a week on and the Bodge is still working perfectly 😉 )

bassspine
    Free Member

true: not bodge.

takisawa2

I rode (slowly) for 4 miles on a tyre stuffed full of foliage once.
    My cap is duly dothed to the above bodge.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

good point i agree.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

In sillyarsetrackworld that problem is already covered by a titanium bashring and a Pauls bit of plastic and aluminium, total price £70.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

My best bodge was on a bike – but one with an engine.

Crashed my BMW 1100GS in the Himalayas and punched a hole in the aluminium cylinder heads. BMW spares were not an option.

Perceived wisdom was to mix some araldite with cotton wool, pack the hole and let it set. Luckily the german guy I was with had some 2 part glue but we couldn't locate any cotton wool.

My GF had gone home (due to a paragliding accident) but rooting around in my stuff I found a tampon. Opened it up, mixed the glue in and slapped it on.

Hey Presto! Still holding 3 yrs later. Got another head cover but never fitted it.

epicyclo

The true gods of bodge live in small villages in India and Africa.

Or for that matter remote communities in Oz – anyone seen "Bush Mechanics"?

We can only dream of reaching their levels of ingenuity 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Bow before me, the GOD OF BODGE…’ is closed to new replies.