Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bournemouth Air Show
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going to Bournemouth Air Show/Festival on the Saturday when they’ve got the Vulcan flying.

We’re familiar with Bournemouth itself but i’ll have my 79yr old Dad with me, so will it best to stay up on the cliffs to watch it, or is it worth going down to the beach to see all the stalls & other attractions?

Do they have food & drink stalls up on the top of the cliffs too? (and loos?!)

Is it best to just use the park & ride? I’m guessing town gets stupid busy early in the day, it’s bad enough on a normal Saturday!

Freester

Yes there are stalls and loos up on the cliffs. A lot of the hotels also serving food / drinks outside. I prefer the cliffs a lot of the displays are almost at ‘eye level’ from there.

Previous years I have taken the train and just walked to Eastcliff. Last year I went twice. Took the train on the Friday then on the Sunday I drove straight in, parked at the multi storey by the Triangle (cheap on a Sunday) and walked to the beach through the park.

The main RAF/Army/RN attractions / stalls are where the 3D cinema got knocked down. The seafront stuff is mainly tat stalls.

Freester

Couple from last year…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fH1W4w]Miss Demeanour[/url] by Freester, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fEWfYp]Avro Lancaster[/url] by Freester, on Flickr

Vulcan in 2009…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6RYb2a]AVRO Vulcan[/url] by Freester, on Flickr

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Am hoping to head up to the top of Ballard Down, is that close enough to see whats going on and get photos?

Freester

You’ll see some of what’s going on. But not the best view. You’d be better heading down to Old Harry / the Foreland really. Close enough for photos? Ermmm. Not sure really depends if anything comes close.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Yeah we’re thinking of going this year too, never been before. We’ll be going with a 2 year old. I’m assuming ear defenders will be a good idea for him as I guess a few are pretty close and loud?

The Vulcan did fly right over the top of our house when I was in the garden, on it’s way back last year though. Amazing, it was pretty low too, amazing plane

jimmy748

I’ve watched from the top of old Harry, pointless all you see is dots over Bournemouth.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Cheers, I was hoping they would turn over the cliffs but I guess I better think of plan B 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Overcliff drive is the place to be. Or on a boat.

Say hello to my dad for me and try and hold back the tears of pride when the Red Arrows go over 😀

Freester

I took my 2yr old last year he loved it. It isn’t that loud except the Typhoon.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Right, cliff-tops it is then, cheers y’all.

singletrackmind

Gets very busy up there.
    last year I parked up near Bransgore and rode down , Started at Hengisbury head but quickly realised yoou needed to be be miles nearer . Rode closer to get in under the display aircraft. Lanc came right overhead at a few hundred feet .
    My only moan is that there are big gaps in the displays . If there is something ‘sea ‘ based you cant see much of that from the cliff tops . So you might get a 30 – 40 min lull in flying.
    Usual Bournmouth issue with parking and traffic , but an hour or so on the roadie takes that problem away

benji
    Free Member

This year you get two Lancasters, as Vera the Canadian Lancaster is over on a visit, it’s an impressive site seeing Thumper and Vera in flight together and the noise is equally impressive. Living in Lincolnshire has it’s perks somedays.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bournemouth Air Show’ is closed to new replies.