• This topic has 33 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bottle Cage Fixings/Alternatives
  • Nobby

I really like my Langster & have found myself riding it further and further afield. It has no bosses so I’m struggling to find a solution I like. This is mainly because I want it to be a quick fit/release option and not damage the chrome work.

Tried the seatpost bolt on jobbie which was fine but a pain to put on/take off & I can’t find a QR version. Seen a few cheap, plastic ones on fleabay but they don’t look like they’d last 5 minutes.

Any suggestions or am I better off looking at a waist pack type thing?

hatter

Elite VIP clips

One of the guys at work has had these on the downtube his old Kinesis crosser which has no cage mounts and they’ve held fast through a full winter of London Potholes.

One of the less aesthetically offensive options out there as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobby

Thanks chaps.

Those Elite ones are a tad too ‘permanent’ for my liking but the Decathlon one might do – just need to work out of it nac be removed with the cage attached as the securing straps appear to sit under it.

scotroutes

just need to work out of it nac be removed with the cage attached as the securing straps appear to sit under it

Nope. It works well though. I use on on the forks of the fatbike to hold a Topeak Javacage

Nobby

Bugger 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

The Decathlon one is great, have them on kids and wife’s top tubes as there isn’t space in the main triangle.

Seems the molehill is becoming a mountain, hardly a big job to take it off.

scotroutes

Why is being able to remove it with the cage still mounted such an issue?

nemesis
    Free Member

If you’re brave (though not really needing to be brave as it’s a commonly used method on bikes) you could very easily fit your own bottle cage bosses using a drill and rivnuts…

miranmtb
    Free Member
    Nobby

Why is being able to remove it with the cage still mounted such an issue?

Generally I don’t need one but on the occasions I do, I’d prefer something I can attach/remove without faff. something like the monkiclip looks about right.

Not brave enough to go down the rivnut route…

scotroutes

Unfixing a bottle cage = 2 x hex screws.
    Unfixing a Decathlon cage mount = 2 x hex screws and 2 x rubber bands.

I can see why the rivnut solution doesn’t appeal to you 😉

nemesis
    Free Member

Not brave enough to go down the rivnut route…

I’m sure you could find some sort of ‘engineering’ type place who’d do it for you.

T1000
    Free Member

bike buddy mk3 on Vp clips?

http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

Yak

Decathlon one is awful – failed within a few rides. Just not up the job of holding a full bottle over rough ground. OP might be ok though as its for a road bike though. I still wouldn’t trust it for that either. Useless.

scotroutes

Bad workman and all that….

T1000
    Free Member

Yak

Bad workman and all that….

maybe
    Bolts just pulled out mid-ride. Don’t think I’d over-tightened them – but when you are fixing into cheese……..

andyl
    Free Member

Is it a steel frame? Glue some rare earth magnets to your bottle?

Yak

Anyway – for properly secure you just need to jubilee clip a metal bottle cage straight to the frame with some rubber protection under. Its only 2 screws to do up to fix it on and will be completely solid. Bottle cage needs to have some ‘feet’ that can be jubilee clipped.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 re useable zip ties and 6″ of 5-6mm rope and a bottle cage, put a loop of zip tie through the bolt holes on the cage, thread the rope through the loops, attach to tube.

Ive got one on my Blaze dinghy’s racks and despite flying off the tops of waves, sone heavy landings, the occasional submarineing, and a lot of shaking about they stayed put, a road bike will be fine!

Nobby

Something like THIS in ally would be a start – I doubt the Chinese plastic will hold up long.

Nobby

Anyone had experience of this SKS one? I’ve had a rear guard with the same attachment & it wasn’t too stable – that was on a MTB though.

andyl
    Free Member

Id be careful of things that clamp on a thin walled tube.

The strap looks safer if it stays in place. Some grippy rubber/gel on the inner face should keep it in place.

manderson
    Free Member

I’ve been through two of the topeak attachments for seatposts – both broke fairly quickly.

Rode with the sks version which is on crc for 5.99 at the weekend and it was excellent. Only time will tell if it’s really solid but it seems better than the topeak one to me. Def worth a go… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sks-bottle-cage-quick-release-mount-system/rp-prod65844

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Don’t **** about with plastic. Two big jubilee clips:

hammyuk
    Free Member

The SKS one works fine – have one in the garage that came off No.1’s previous bike no longer being used.

Nobby

Well I was about to buy the SKS one when I stumbled across this:

BigDummy
    Free Member
    Nobby

No top cap on a quill roadie stem.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That won’t work then!

Also, that gif makes me car-sick!

andyl
    Free Member

Well I was about to buy the SKS one when I stumbled across this:

Quite a limited tube diameter there and I would be very worried about trashing your frame.

Nobby

It’s going on the seatpost – I wouldn’t want to scratch the chrome 😳 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bottle Cage Fixings/Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.