Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Boost adapting 142>>>>148 Who has?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Pondering reusing existing 142 wheel in 148 frame. Read the Boostinator spiel and happy to relish wheel and spend £30 rather than spend £300 0n a new wheel.

Wanted to know who had and how it went/is going?

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve got one on an sb6c. Works great, I re-dished the wheel myself and had to fine tune it a second time, that’s more to do with lack of chainstay clearance on my frame though.

Would highly recommend.

Be careful Torqueing up the rotor bolts though as I sheared one. Wolf tooth sent me two spares out foc so very happy with that.

Make sure you threadlock them as they are longer.

tomaso
    Free Member

Cheers

frogstomp

Yup, using the Boostinator here too.. does what it says on the tin.

Beware the final price if ordering direct.. I got hit with VAT and handling fee even on snail mail. Don’t think there’s a UK distributor?

deker
    Free Member

Wouldn’t something like this be better so you don’t have to re-dish the wheel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252170961640?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

tomaso
    Free Member

I think I’d rather relish the wheel and have a pucka DT fitting end cap. The idea of washers Dalling out everytime I take the wheel out sounds a ball ache.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just been thinking the same thing about my American classics hubs.

Eurobike 2016: American Classic BOOST Conversion Kit

Not sure when this kit will be available so I was considering just replacing the hub and rebuild the wheel.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got the above MTB tools kit. Works a treat and fits in minutes with no dishing so the wheels can be used easily on different bikes if needed. The end cap spacers falling out every time is easily sorted with a little roughing up and a dab of super glue.

chilled76
    Free Member

If you put a cap each end you don’t end up with the chainline as the manufacturer recommended. And has been said you’ve got fiddly caps to fall out on the trail.

In my head its not as stiff either but can’t back that up with science or engineering calculations.

chilled76
    Free Member

And your wheel sits 1.5mm off centre too that way.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The caps are 3mm thick so no issues with stiffness at all and the 3mm offset on the chain line is easily remedied. I’ve been running it on trek stache with zero issues. I’ve so got the kit for the print as well which works the same.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ve been running a V2 Bronson and Hightower both fitted with boostinators, Marc Lindarets who designed it sent me a freebee set when I built the Bronson in January, it’s run with a non boost XX1 crank and rides spot on, the Hightower has a similar set up and is ace.

I think Eighteen bikes in Hope stock the kits or at least they used to, well worth a try if you have a nice set of wheels you want to re use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Boost adapting 142>>>>148 Who has?’ is closed to new replies.