Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bloody Pine Martens
  • iolo
    Free Member

I was in the Salzkammergut region for the weekend.
    Whilst my car was parked, a Pine Marten decided to chew many of the nice electrical cables in my engine bay.
    The bill was 970 euro to get it fixed.
    Bloody Pine Martens.

BillOddie

Ha ha ha ha!!! (sorry)

allan23
    Free Member

Even worse when they start singing Happy Hour Again…. damn… that’s Housemartins isn’t it 🙁

footflaps

Could be worse, could have been your brake cables…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i know a dacia is a budget car ….but surely even they dont have cable operated brakes these days 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/apr/29/large-hadron-collider-fouine-chews-through-transformer-wiring

Yes, they are little bastards. 😀

that chewed through wiring connected to a 66,000-volt transformer.

I wonder how that went for him.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

what are they? Like austrian scousers?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

what are they? Like austrian scousers?

😀 Pretty much.

ehrob

We had some that took over a portacabin on a site in the Highlands. Absolutely quality, client was raging.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Weird, that’s been well known for ~20 years. They have a liking for a certain filler in flexible plastics/rubbers.

The rest of the industry stopped using that particular filler about 20 years ago……..

welshfarmer

When I lived in Southern Germany (22 years back!) people were paranoid about the martins getting under the bonnet and chewing through cables. A common trick (old wifes tale) was to take a large bag full of human hair and cable tie it somewhere in the engine bay. I bought a car that was a couple of years old and that already had the abg of hair affixed. I kept the car for 11 years and the hair was still there at the end. I never once had a martin chew through anything so who knows? Maybe it does work 🙂

keppoch

Mention of Pine Martens made me think of Martin the Pine Martin….
    His first name check comes at 2:48

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HEPUlW3yng[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s watching…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8ZtVqA]009[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

unovolo
    Free Member

The rest of the industry stopped using that particular filler about 20 years ago

They must not have received the memo.

pictonroad

I’ve had a few German camper vans, a couple have pine marten deterrent units in the engine bay. I had no idea what on earth it all was at first.

gwaelod
    Free Member

It’s like Avatar…. The ecosystem is fighting back.

On reflection though a weasel in the LHC sounds like the plot of a Marvel origins film

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Pine Martens’ is closed to new replies.