Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bloody annoying adverts!
  • CountZero

As if the Audi one wasn’t annoying enough, now there’s a Tudor watch one that’s even worse! Without actually tapping on anything, that I’m aware of, it suddenly fills my entire screen, with no means of dismissing it, other than cancelling out STW and starting from scratch. This is the screen I’ve seen repeatedly over the last couple of weeks:

[/url]Untitled by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

Usually there’s an ‘X’ in the top corner to clear the advert, but this seems to go outside the actual screen, with no means of reducing the size or anything, it just completely locks my pad screen.
    And it’s really pissing me off.
    Along with the irritating bastard who’s phoned me three times over the ‘accident’ I’ve had in the last two or three years!
    The last time to ask if I’d hung up on him the previous time! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! 👿

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’m having the same problem too and it’s pi$$ing me off to – Bigtime! Initionally it did have the ‘x’ at the top & could be cancelled – bit for the past few days is just filling the screen without the ‘x”.

tomhoward

john, you know you can switch the ads off?

Not CZ though, cos he’s tight 😉

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I had this on my iPad mini – but only an issue in landscape: if you switch to portrait the ‘x’ is visible and you can get shot of it.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Deactivate ‘adobe flash’ on this site. Makes the experience so much better. Plus the back button works again.

Lifer
    Free Member

Or just disable adverts if you’re a premier user, as TomHoward says.

jekkyl

You have to buy the overpriced vanity watch to get rid of the ad, get your wallet out.

CountZero

tomhoward – Member
    john, you know you can switch the ads off?

Not CZ though, cos he’s tight
    Not tight, just not what you’d call flush with cash at the moment.
    And I have no issues with the ads that are on the page, what really bugs me are ads that hijack the whole bloody page, rendering the site unusable! This is hardly making the site a pleasure to use.
    I’ve also been getting a Lloyds Bank ad suddenly appearing right in the middle of the page as well; again, this doesn’t enhance the experience of using STW, something I’ve been doing since 2003, and without ever finding ads an issue.
    Now I am, and it’s not encouraging my continued patronage of the site.

wwaswas

There was a thread earlier that mark commented on about this.

Cougar

Set Flash to ‘click to run’, fixes a multitude of sins IME.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Most of the ads Im seeing at the moment are Rosie H-W in pink pants for Autograph at M&S. I don’t mind that at all.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah I’m seeing Rosie too, but then the bloody frogman arrives and spoils it all!

Thought Rosie was a result of mrs_d using the iPad but that doesn’t explain the git in the wetsuit. Or maybe it does 😯

JulianA
    Free Member

Yes, happening here too. iPad 3 on iOS 7 if that helps… No RH-W, sadly.

boblo
    Free Member

I don’t want a shit Tudor. Please make it stop.

Slogo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ643U7ccpM[/video]

this pisses me off the most!

there are a few companies ill never use because of highly annoying adverts. go compare, we buy any car, does my head in!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Check your profile email CZ

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

How do you turn the ads off, if you don’t mind me asking? Sick to death of the bloody Lloyds Private bloody Banking ad, clicking on the cross them being re-directed to another ad? Can’t seem to find anything in settings?

scotroutes

It’s an option in your Premier settings.

Oh…..

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Bollocks, Premier Membership run out, soon sort that 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The irony of two brands trying to be premium brands (lloyds private bank and Tudor) using such crass marketing techniques. It’s pathetic.

Exclusive, pah. Merely annoying.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

**** me, can they make it any harder to subscribe? Tiny little boxes to fill out then bloody adverts keep popping up when you’re half way through – the irony. Let’s try again…………..

julianwilson
    Free Member

Thm +1

Also I am used to surprise ads being remotely based upon my browsing history. Are these two based on the overall likelhood of stw visitors being interested?? 😯

Now if they were for tofu pasties and a ‘canoe your kids to school’ scheme… [edit] then i would be well interested at least [\edit]

scotroutes

“What fancy wrist-worn jewellery item can I spunk an inordinate amount of money on” is a pretty common thread on STW.

stumpy01

Gah. Just started getting the Lloyds one and I wouldn’t mind too much (seeing as I don’t pay for the blue P thing), but you can’t resize the screen to get to the ‘close X’ and if you scroll across to it, it re-centres the ad and puts the X back off the screen…

wilburt
    Free Member

I just add companies with annoying adds to the list of companies I will never buy from, really annoying ones also get fictitious stories of poor service whenever the opportunity arises.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I get annoyed when people type adds instead of ads.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I just add companies with annoying adds to the list of companies I will never buy from, really annoying ones also get fictitious stories of poor service whenever the opportunity arises.

Hmm, doubt that would stand up in a libel suit.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bloody annoying adverts!’ is closed to new replies.