Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Blokes wot sew.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Mrs. B, for all her many virtues, is not very practical. Of late I have found myself sewing, repairing, learning to use a sewing machine . . . and quite enjoying it. Actually, really loving the ‘home craft’ creativity that I have lost from turning my former hobby and escapism into my job.

So, sew, i was just wondering whether there are any other ‘blokes wot sew’ on here, and what you’re up to?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Always have. Usually repairs or bodging. Did a pair of 3/4 bibs the other day. Present that were way to long in leg so 4″ came off, taper changed and hem gripper reinstalled. Jeans often reshaped to fit closer. Old hand cranked singer was good for bike luggage but new one Best for Lycra.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can use an industrial sewing machine for sail making, I’ve repaired quite a few of torn clews, heads and leach rope repairs..
    It’s an Art form down here on the coast in Sailing county.

DezB
    Free Member

I darned my Assos Winter+ socks, but I can’t say it’s a hobby.

kayak23

Yeah, I so sew!
    Do upholstery and all sorts. Enjoy it.

AlasdairMc

My gran was getting rid of her sewing machine so I saved it from the tip. I only use it to (badly) repair bike gear, but it saves binning it.

One day I’ll learn how to do it properly…

BigJohn

Can you fix a cringle though Bikebouy? There’s only one machine within 50 miles.
    So I pxd that old combat at Boardwise after having my repair fail on the open ocean.

CountZero

I can sew, though I’m no seamstress (or whatever the male equivalent is). I’m best at stitching leather, I used to make guitar straps, I’ve made some belts, and I made a couple of little leather cases for Zippo lighters.
    I want to make some more belts, but it’s finding time.
    One of the Zippo cases:

Belt – the brasswear came from another old belt that was a bit short when new, and much too short after a few years, so I got some harness leather from eBay and remade it. The stitching is a tad uneven, I know how to make a better job next time; just need some more leather and the brass fittings.

BlobOnAStick

Me I do. Mainly repairing the worn out crotch of my jeans.

Although I have altered a few fatface tops because they are shaped like bin bagsand I’d have thrown them away otherwise.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, Banks Sails up the road will do multiple layered cringle fold repairs for £10. Also, bolt rope repairs are tricky as the machine I have the foot isn’t the right type to get close the the warp/bolt rope and the thickness is about 5mm, it’s a bit tricky, can be done but the machine groans.
    All my windsurf sails get repaired by Dave at Dynamic Sails in Emsworth, I’ve known him for decades and he’s ace at sail repair/making… if you need that kinda thing doing.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Use to make patchwork quilts for newborns. Sadly local hospital unable to take them nowadays.

bodgy
    Free Member

Awesome! Phew, for a moment I thought it might just be me.

Love the leatherwork CZ. Proper manly kit! 😉 Manly equivalent: a SeamSir?

bikebouy – where are you?

I had a brief induction to sewing about 15 years ago, during the process of making a yurt cover to fit the frame I had made, but to be honest the industrial walking foot machine was so fast and aggressive that I never really followed it up.

Aside from a few repairs, about 90 school name tags by hand and the current project – a ‘Puss in Boots’ cape for my son’s dress up day at school – I’ve had no interest.

But really enjoying the process, it quite appeals to my OCD/perfectionist side, whilst being tucked away in a corner where I can ‘get my make on’ for a few minutes in between family life happening. As opposed to having to truck off to my workshop and do my job for ‘relaxation’ (I’m a professional green woodworker, pole lathe turner and tutor, for a living. Honest. Hence ‘bodgy’. And at the end of the day I’m only too happy to shut the door on it.)

Would love to keep this thread alive and see what you’re up to. Once I’ve worked out how to upload pictures I’ll put a couple up.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I not too bad with a sewing machine. Spent much of my teenage years taking in the inseam of my school trousers on a hand-cranked Singer. (Drain-pipes were big in Belfast in the 1980’s.)

Have made a few pouches and stuff sacks etc over the years. Also made a pair of fleecey mountain trousers, scarves, leg-warmers, wallets for my daughter/wife.

Replaced rucksack straps/buckles and the alike many times.

Repaired outdoor gear loads. Latest was replacing a main zip on a friends duvet jacket. Mountain Equipment wanted £65 for them to do it. I did it for the cost of an ebay zip (£2.50) and some thread (£1.99)

Reupholstered my motorbike seat and made a new seat + curtains for the camper van.

Made some tool rolls and a tank bag for my motorbike.

bodgy
    Free Member

Bloody love STW.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Made a mini cable roll. My mum is quite good so need to continue the lessons.

All crafts are great to get a idea of the basics. Enjoyable and useful.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t, not through any objection but through not finding the time. I keep meaning to pick it up though as it is a very handy skill and my wife is quite crafty herself. Unfortunately we would need a more powerful machine as I quite fancy working with thicker canvas and such but could probably swing that.

Ambrose

As a teenager I seriously considered becoming a butcher (part trained, thanks to a Saturday job), or a saddler or a geologist. I ended up as a science teacher. However, I have kept my hand in with the sewing and leatherwork. I do almost all my own repairs and alterations on my mum’s old Singer. It is so relaxing although my thumbs are not as tough anymore.

Over the years I’ve totally refurbished leather bike saddles, repaired bridles and horse saddles, made custom luggage such as bespoke lens bags, modified luggage, including rucsacs and made climbing kit from scratch. I used to make a bit of custom soft kit for ice climbing too, like wrist strops and slings. All stitched although i did knot as well. Caving kit has been designed, modified and produced too, likewise whitewater kayaking gear. TBH some of the WW kit I designed and made was a bit good and perhaps I should have pursued it.

tillydog
    Free Member

I sew. So?

Most ambitious was a 2.4m^2 aerofoil kite:

Otherwise it’s just mods and repairs to (mostly) outdoor kit. Used to use hand-cranked Singer and Jones machines , but now use the Mrs’ electric one.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I live on the Hamble River, the home of sailing.

I picked up sewing from my Mother, she had a company making Wax Jackets (Barbour style) and Cycle Pannier and Rain Jackets and other such stuff when we moved back here from the States. As a Girl she used to work for Merrythought Teddy Bear factory in Ironbridge.. anyway she made our cycling team clothing too when I used to race.

Any who… Overlocker !!

wilburt
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve always sewn as a kid out of necessity repairing clothes now I have enough money but I hate waste so keep things going as long as possible and if a small repair gets another year out of an item thats great.

I have an old singer but most enjoy hand sewing.

Bibs and Lycra in general are tricky btw so I take them to the polish ladies who have an overlocker.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Yep!

My mum taught me as a kid as I wanted to make kites. Also learnt a lot managing a team of seamstresses making protective clothing. Then we had industrial and cnc sewing machines.

My wife got a sewing machine a few years back and was a bit gutted that I could use it better than her.

My mum is ace though, so if it’s anything tricky I tend to get her to do it.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’m generally very practical, but find sewing really difficult and frustrating.

I’m currently trying to make some bikepacking gear. I’m getting there but it’s oh so slow.. And though I think it’ll be robust, it isn’t terribly pretty.

stwhannah

Ooh, this is a warm glow stick it to stereotypes thread. You lot are great. And way better at sewing than me.

trout
    Free Member

been sewing carpets together this week

sadexpunk

i could do with making a couple of alterations to stuff, only very basic ‘hold it together’ type stitches. wouldnt know how to start or finish it off so it stays fast tho.

so, any good teaching videos/guides out there?

manton69

Have my own sewing machine (an old Singer hand operated one that is capable of some heavy duty work that the electric ones groan over) and repair and make all sorts of stuff.

There were two things that my mom made sure her boys could do and that was sew and cook. Funnily enough those are two of the things that I most enjoy being able to do well. 🙂

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I never thought a sewing machine would be joining woodburners, double edged razors and coffee machines on the list of STW must haves. That’s why I love this forum.

I have been sew-curious for a while. I have big thighs and struggle to find trousers and jeans that fit well. I fancy having a go at adjusting or making my own but wouldn’t know how to start. I can sew to replace buttons and other small tasks.

thenorthwind

I’ve done quite a lot of sewing over the years, though I wouldn’t consider myself particularly skilled. I’m able to wield a sewing machine to bodge stuff together fairly strongly, if not prettily, using probably far more thread than necessary.

I find it’s very useful, particularly if you like the outdoors. You start repairing kit, and eventually you see how you could begin to modify and make you own. I’ve posted a couple of things over on the Bearbones MYOG forum.

I find sewing is a lot like welding (which I use to balance out the stereotype!): bloody useful, difficult to do well enough to make things look good, but surprisingly easy to stick things together adequately.

And if you’re the sort of bloke who appreciates engines, mechanical gubbins, etc., a look inside a sewing machine is a feast for the eyes!

senorj

I can.Basic repairs tbh.
    Never used a machine though. My Nana was a wizard on hers. 🙂

Cougar

“Seamster”?

I used to have a voice activated sewing machine. It used to go daft every time Star Trek was on and Picard was giving people orders.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Bloke who sews = “Machinist”

Mowgli
    Free Member

I picked up an old Singer last year. I’ve bodged together a few repairs on trousers and bags, and more recently made a half decent pair of lined curtains. It’s quite satisfying. The original booklet which came with the machine was quite funny:

Coyote
    Free Member

Cougar, what you did there? I saw. 8)

Not much of a machinist but quite the dab hand with a needle and thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mostly just repairs, occasionally make something for the boat when the cost of having one made is “HOW MUCH” like the kicker strop (it’s just a bit of 50mm webbing FFS). Next on the list is some rubber backed toe straps having seen just how gripy they are, but equally pricey.

Made some bikepacking gear but it wasn’t as good as the off the shelf stuff, I could probably have refined it with another go but sometimes it’s nice just go buy stuff that works!

OH makes loads of animal door stops/teddies from the patterns in magazines, the house is full of them!

Bought one of these before Christmas but haven’t dared try it yet.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/6wNQFh]Singer Knitting Machine (1950’s?)[/url] by YarnArtSerious, on Flickr

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Hell yeah!

A hand-canvassed three piece suit (in progress!). I go to a local group sometimes, I am the only man there 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Tailored all my uniforms when I was an army cadet – darted my shirts and combat jackets, reseamed my trousers to fit better, etc.

Back then our shirts where those woolen things so would go up to Silvermans to get really worn out ones that were thinner, and had some cotten shirts where I put the collars and cuffs on from the woolen shirts so they looked correct under the jumper but the shirt itself had no bulk under the jumper.

Used an old Elna sewing machine of my mothers, was a fantastic piece of engineering.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do repairs, sewing buttons on, repairing ripped shorts and stuff. Always have, even when I was a teenager sewing patches on my jeans. I like to be independent and not need to ask other people to do things for me, I like to be able to look after myself so I’m very ‘domesticated’.

bakey

I sew too! Bought a sewing machine last year and now do all the hems, minor alterations on the kids’ clothes. Not particularly good at it, but getting better.

It is the most difficult power tool I’ve yet to master…

tomlevell

I do a bit and intend to do more at some point.
    Repair Lycra so I don’t have to take it to my mum.

Also made a few frame bags. Frustrated by finish internally and some wonky stitching. Work fine though. Also unable to get the nice Xpamet material easily in the UK and waterproof zips although I can now get the zips from Point North.

Version 1
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dfxhf8]Made[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

Version 3
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pb97Tq]20140914_111840[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

Version 4
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/q8rx67]Latest teeny tiny Levello bag[/url] by Tom Levell, on Flickr

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Blokes wot sew.’ is closed to new replies.