Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Blairadam Mast Descent – Last chance saloon
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was up at Blairadam tonight. The approach to the mast descent is being clear felled starting at the mast. There was no sign of any activity on Sunday.

The trail to the fenceline has gone up to as far as the big Beech tree. So it looks like the rest of the Mast descents days are numbered. Shame really as it was virtually bone dry tonight and it ranks among one of my favourite singletracks in Fife. If you know it give it one last blast, if you dont, try it before its just a memory.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I have often heard of people talking about Blairadam but havent a clue where it is

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shame – I like that trail. a bit of old skool mtbing. Last time I rode it wa s while ago and it was outrageously slippery – wet pine needles on wet earth. good fun all the same

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Bugger , this is bad news.
    One of the best bits of natural singletrack I've had the pleasure of riding , superfast in the dry and waaaaay scary in the wet or in the dry when the leaves are falling down the bottom section.
    Hopefully the other trails back down from the top of the forest will survive but as they have already "cut in" near them I doubt it.
    This will kill Blairadam as a riding venue. 👿

da funk

stuartie_c
    Free Member

McM – you'll just have to come riding in The Dean instead.

Dougal
    Free Member

Might squeeze in one last ride this Sunday. I'm sure when it's clearfelled a day of brash-clearing will find it again.

rapiddescent

I was getting my truck serviced at the old navy place at kelty and thought I'd take the bike and ride Blairadam whilst it was being done – found zero trails! Mind you, there was 1ft of snow up at the knockhill end.

Where do the trails start? anyone done a trail map? I checked the blog beforehand but coundn't see anything – not even co-ords.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Hopefully this will work and show where the trails are hidden.

Been too long since I last rode Blairadam. Might have to head up Sat or Sun morning for a blast before its changed forever!

rapiddescent

thanks for that – I was way too far west up towards the horseyriding place. I thought "The transmitters" were the ones that you see from the A823 Knockhill road. I have an old orienteering map from the 80's – but it went much further west as well. i seem to remember that they always started from the rangers buildings down towards Kelty.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I going to head back up there tonight if anyone fancies a spin around. Meeting at the FC hut car park 6.45. The trails arent waymarked so a guide is essential. Having said that, I was shown a new trail last night.

jamesy01
    Free Member

What sort of pace you riding at these days mcmoonter?
    I'm still building up some fitness and haven't really done much night riding before!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pace? You must be confusing me with another MC. We'll be more mellow than mellow things.

jamesy01
    Free Member

4WD, trailer and a bloody big chainsaw?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yep

jamesy01
    Free Member

We've trailbuild together on several occasions and ridden once last summer I think.
    Might tag along tonight if I can persuad her in doors to let me out!

Smudger666

Thuis is the official Fc map of the current felling…..

The forum on the blairadam.com website is down (and has been for a couple/three months), but as no activity has been planned untill the felling is over, and i've had other issues to deal with, its not been fixed as yet.

the plan is to wait until the felling is done – this is the final coup to be leased and no more are planned until 2020. once this is done with, we can regroup and decide what to do next.

In the meantime, FC have said to the local MP, no more investement in new trails will be made due to the ongoing maintenance costs.

😐

jamesy01
    Free Member

Ahhh Mr Smudger666…you have been hiding of late!

I'm thinking an early morning shuffle round the forrest on Saturday morning if your interested!

Smudger666

saw that on FB, will be shuffling around glenshee with planks strapped to my feet 🙂

jamesy01
    Free Member

To be fair…….this year……..you could do that any weekend 🙂

Give us a shout when you are ready to slide about on two wheels again!

The_Beast
    Free Member

Smudger

Has there been any progress at all on the public consultation exercise carried out back in November?

Thanks

The_Beast
    Free Member

Maybe something will turn up on the website shortly, as their forum appears to be working again and a new post added to the front page..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Blairadam Mast Descent – Last chance saloon’ is closed to new replies.