Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Black Tie dresscode – A question
  • lunge

I am having a discussion with by brother on the subject of black tie, specifically related to a 50th birthday party we have both been invited to.

The dress code is “black tie” and whilst we both agree that a dinner suit is called for, he is arguing that a black tie can be worn instead of a bow tie.

I think he is talking out of his derriere but can the Hive confirm who is correct?

unsponsored
    Free Member

I wear a skinny black tie rather than a bow tie with my dj. Not sure if its allowed though!

robbo
    Free Member

Black ties are for funerals. Bow ties required…

woody74

Got to be bow tie otherwise you look cheap.

If he is going to wear a black tie then might as well just wear a black lounge suit!!

shortcut

Bow tie is the only option.

Trousers have the single stripe down the sides.

Jacket may be white in the summer!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And the tie should be real, not a pre-knotted one…

Helios
    Free Member

robbo – Member

Black ties are for funerals. Bow ties required…

+1 – and that means a black bow tie… none of your coloured/stripy/patterned nonsense unless it’s a membership thing…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Rock a skinny black tie with a modern cut DJ ( it looks rubbish with a hired DJ)

Its “only” a private party and you can bet there will be some clown in a red bow tie or a wally in a kilt.

thepurist

And the tie should be real, not a pre-knotted one…

Or if you’re somehow unable to learn how to tie a bow tie, use a pre-knotted one for dinner, then later in the evening swap it out for an untied real one for that ‘lost a million at Monte Carlo’ look.

zippykona

I defy any man not to pretend to be part of the rat pack when in black tie.
    Ps you will be pretty much guaranteed nookie, so its worth making the effort.

mcboo
    Free Member

These two gentlemen are correctly dressed.

willard

Whilst the two chaps above are wearing the correct ties, I notice that the one on the left is not wearing the correct shirt.

At least he’s not sporting a wing collar…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Willard, +1.

Clooney’s collar looks suspiciously like a tab-down. And that would be punishable by death when I come to power.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bow tie all the way, normal black tie whether skinny or not you look like you either (a) off to a funeral or (b) from some young teenage boy band and thus would also need to pull your trousers down to just under your buttocks showing off your flourescent coloured pants!

pjt201
    Free Member

willard – Member
    At least he’s not sporting a wing collar..

Exactly what i was going to say. please ensure neither of you wear wing collars.

bazzer
    Free Member

The only person who can pull off a white DJ is James Bond !!!

mcboo
    Free Member

I like Clooneys normalish looking white shirt…..that says “I wear black tie all the time”. I went to a black tie dinner last year with a very posh pal, very dapper. Black dinner suit, black tie……baby blue shirt. Looked tremendous.

madhouse

Definitely a bow tie, as previously mentioned you must have an option of the undone look for when the formalities have been dispensed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Or if you’re somehow unable to learn how to tie a bow tie, use a pre-knotted one for dinner, then later in the evening swap it out for an untied real one for that ‘lost a million at Monte Carlo’ look

learn to tie it – then when some clever d1ck comes up and prematurely undoes it for you, just tie it back up whilst looking him in the eyes just to show your superiority, as he will probably have a clipon.

You can practise tieing it around your thigh, just above the knee will probably be about neck size.

emsz
    Free Member

A bow tie knot is the same as a shoe lace knot.

men in DJs look cool 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bazzer – Member
    The only person who can pull off a white DJ is James Bond !!!

😳 I have a white jacket as well as my black one. 😳

convert

So wing collars are out now then – or maybe they were never in!!! It’s been a while.

So where is it at with cumberbund vs waistcoat?

poly
    Free Member

or a wally in a kilt.

Kilt with Charlie Jacket and bow tie is the correct attire for Black Tie, otherwise you look like a London Yuppie (now known as a Millionaire Banker) which is definitely not cool 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Cheap? I wouldn’t argue that with these guys…

I go to a few black tie events and there is a right mix – some where bowties which are all colours under the sun and others where straight ties but always black (as above). I don’t think it matters. Its more about the dressing up in a DJ that counts. Although I know people who have worn a normal suit with a black bowtie

JEngledow
    Free Member

So wing collars are out now then – or maybe they were never in!!! It’s been a while.

I always thought that wing collars are for white tie only.

dobo
    Free Member

i hired one from moss bros last month about £60-70 quid if i remember. stay traditional and go bow tie, black tie is a no no imo unless your just going to wear a black suit..or going to a funeral or work for MIB CIA etc
    but what about a cummerbund or a waist coat? i wore a cummerbund as i think waist coats are for weddings and fat people, ok there i said it.
    but you will likly see every combo mix and color imaginable, dont wory about it too much as long as you make an effort.

only thing that really has no place is brown shoes! keep em black and shiny!

derekrides
    Free Member

Black ties are so out as are wing collars, us dudes wear collarless dress shirts, ridiculous braces can also be worn should jacket less dancing be required due to excess champers..

theblackmount
    Free Member

I’d just wear a Highland outfit and let the other clones look on in envy 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d just wear a Highland outfit skirt

Ftfy

jon1973
    Free Member

none of your coloured/stripy/patterned nonsense

You have no taste

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Correct form below, note the hanky as it’s not be mentioned on this thread.

fatmax

Pocket square, not hanky 😉
    If you can pull off the look anything like Daniel Craig as Bond, then you’ll get your leg over…
    Are you going to post pics of the finished look?

zippykona

How much visible shirt cuff?

lunge

Braces? Now that is an excellent idea.

Bow tie it is then, along with a suitable cummerbund and pocket square. Then just watch the ladies swoon…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Has all of the above:

sc-xc

Cummerbunds and waistcoats look tacky. Well fitted suit, Slim fit dress shirt with proper collars and no frills.

Pocket square, patent shoes and a real bow tie. I used to have to print out the instructions to put next to the mirror when learning to tie it, worth practising though.

Take a slim card wallet – no bulges in your suit jacket.

peterfile
    Free Member

I don’t see the point in hiring unless you plan on going to one black tie event in your entire life.

You can pick up a perfectly acceptable dinner suit brand new for not much money. Then take it to an alterations shop/tailors (if the place you bought it from won’t do it) and get the jacket/trousers tweaked so that it fits perfectly.

You’ll look FAR better in a £150 new dinner suit that fits well, compared to a hired suit that hangs off you like an old persons minge.

Buy a nice formal shirt if you don’t have one. Again, it doesn’t have to be expensive – just make sure it fits. The “whiteness” is what you are looking for here, not some greyed out hire shirt or work shirt. There are lots of options, just avoid those wings 😉 Personally, one of my favourite shirts for wearing with a DJ actually has covered buttons, it looks really clean and sharp.

Don’t worry too much about buying new shoes if you already have some clean and shiny lace-ups. However, you’ll be amazed how many people will throw on a pair of battered Churchills or loafers and think no one will notice because it’s “only shoes”.

As for the bowtie, get a proper one. You will feel immeasurably better about yourself and people who wear black tie regularly will be more likely to think that you do too 😉

Finally, a nice pocket square (which can be a bugger to fold and sit correctly, so leave enough time to sort out!).

Just my opinion mind you, which although it can’t be wrong, it might not be in accordance with STW Black Tie Policy.

zippykona

Everyone agreeing shocker!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I dont agree with the braces but to arrive on a Ducati is cool.

willard

Braces – Black, button on, if at all possible.
    Waistcoat – No, although sometimes it is acceptable.
    Cummerbund – Not if you want to be taken seriously.

Novelty bow ties (i.e. colours, and that includes regimentals ones) are fine, but not for a properly formal event.

I’m also not entirely sure about Mr. Craig’s shawl collar. I personally prefer the single breasted look in black.

All the above is, of course, only if you do not have the correct mess dress.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Black Tie dresscode – A question’ is closed to new replies.