Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bivi spot suggestions in the Mendips? Blagdon lake any good?
  • newro97
    Free Member

Taking a friend out for his second attempt at a bivi. The first attempt was going well until an illegal rave kicked off a few hundred metres behind us, kind of spoilt it a bit…

any suggestions for a spot not to far (10 miles ish he is new to cycling) from a train station in the mendips or surrounding areas?

looking at Blagdon lake on the map, but having never been there, is it to built up/ touristy?

cheers.

flatfish
    Free Member

I assume your getting off the train at Yatton?
    Ride the strawberry like to Axbridge then head up Shute shelve hill or crook peak.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Not sure of the distance from train stations, but the spot that Scienceofficer uses in the below thread looks great…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/first-bivvy-ride-tonight

newro97
    Free Member

yes Yatton will probably be the start point.

those pics do look good! cheers guys some good ideas to mull over.

newro97
    Free Member

any of the evening crowd got any ideas?

Candodavid
    Free Member

That spot in Scienceofficer picture is the top of Black Rock in Cheddar Gorge, bit of a ride from Yatton, might be better jumping of @ Worle and riding from there, don’t forget Burrington Ham and Axbridge down also, nice views all round.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bivvying on Crook Peak appeals at face value, but I don’t know what motorway noise will be like.

It might be better on Wavering Down or Cross Plain – the high points above kings wood. Closer to the Strawberry line itself too.

newro97
    Free Member

thanks guys will have a look at those tomorrow!

snowpaul
    Free Member

Crook peak / knings wood area would be my choice or up on burrington etc BUT as a sensible warning watch for ticks. I use a solo tent now vs an open bivy big because of that.

I admit I have tick paranoia now but most trips to somerset I / dog gets a tick or 3…

paul

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There certainly are ticks on mendip, but is you stay on the short grassy areas and well established tracks, you reduce your chances of picking them up markedly.

I generally only pick them up when I’m off piste.

newro97
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up, will pick up a tick remover before I go!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘bivi spot suggestions in the Mendips? Blagdon lake any good?’ is closed to new replies.