Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • bit of help with re-building gears
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

so myself and my girlfriend were on a trail up in aviemore last weekend and her rear mech hanger snapped

I wasnt carrying a spare so i cut the chain and she singlespeeded back to the camp site

just had a replacement delivered and i have fitted it and re-indexed the gears so its running fine on the work stand, but when i get on it to test ride the chain slips when pressure is applied,

i dont think the drive train is worn as it was a new chain and cassette last year and as she doesnt get out much i dont think it is work

any ideas what it could be given that ive just prob messed up the rear gears???

it doesnt slip much maybe just 1 or 2 links
    only other thing of note is when i was rebuilding the chain i had to use an 9 speed powerlink on a 8 speed chain

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Could be anything.

Powerlink
    Bent mech
    Sticky cables
    Wrong cable tension
    Badly adjusted limit screws

etc

walla24
    Free Member

you’l want to get the correct powerlink on there dude
    Try running the chain the other way up?

Does it slip between gears or over the top when under pressure?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    enduro-aid
    Free Member

i thought that the power link wouldnt really matter as the difference between 8 and 9 speed is the chain width the distance between the links should be the same??

will try running it the other way up, badly adjusted limit screws and or cable tension could be it

i’m crap with gears and had to mess around with them quite a bit to get it to run on the work stand

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

a 9 spd link is narrower than an 8spd one. its possibly causing a stiff link which is making the chain jump.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chain slipping = new chain on old cassette.

Dodgy indexing causes the chain to be picked up by another cog, but it has to be way way out for that and make loads of noise. And it doesn’t just slip

duntstick
    Free Member

It’ll settle…………

Keef
    Free Member

chain length.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

mmhhh ok so we got quite a lot of option here

guess i start with the powerlink and then look at chain length

was planning on going to glentress tomorrow might stop in at the hub and ask them to take a look

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘bit of help with re-building gears’ is closed to new replies.