Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bird Zero TR
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

My plan of an Orange P7 is gone, as all sold out til end of July!

I’m not a fan of the Zero AMs yellow and pink, but the TR looks spot on with a -1.5 Angleset.

Has anyone got one? Geometry in a medium looks decent, but…. Bird would have me on a large with a *generous* 570mm reach 😯

Be interested in anyone’s experience,

Cheers

Ricks

leftyboy
    Free Member

How tall are you? I ride a medium with a 50mm stem and I’m 5′ 10″ tall

rickon
    Free Member

5’11, so over what Bird recommend for their medium. But the jump in reach is quite a lot between the TR medium and large, at 25mm more.

I’d be aiming to add a -1.5 Angleset and if bird allow it a 140mm fork.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I think they’ll only warranty up to a 130mmm fork.. I love my TR but if it doesn’t fit then it’s not the bike for you IMHO. Can you get a test ride?

rickon
    Free Member

Nope. Bike is being built up while I’ve got a broken foot, then will be used to ride road, fireroads, blues and then onto proper trails.

It’s the one thing keeping me mildy sane!

How does the Zero fit you? Would you be able to run with a shorter stem, and still fit?

wl
    Free Member

Bad luck on the P7 front, Rickon – thought about a Crush? Similar geometry to the P7, especially with an Angleset, and slightly lighter I think. I know it’s not steel but the way modern steel bikes have to conform to safety regs means there’s less of a difference between steel and alu nowadays in terms of their feel.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Zero AM also comes in black if it’s just the colour you don’t like.

I am just under 6′ and riding a medium with 50mm stem/750mm bars. They recommended a large for lots of pedalling but the reach and top tube on the medium is larger than my old 2011 Nukrproof Mega. I wanted a short seat tube for pumptrack/bmx track so went medium and they agreed, ring them for a chat?

It’s awesome. First weekend I jumped jumps I’d not made before (on a 4x bike), rode drops, for PBs on flowy single track and a few seconds off on rocky Peak DH and did a 15 mile ride.

For all long rides Id have a large but the medium is much more suited for what I want it to do.

Bird would have me on a large with a *generous* 570mm reach

TR is 472mm reach.
    The medium tr is longer than the zero am, but fork sag will affect this…

rickon
    Free Member

TR is 472mm reach.

lol, yeah 570mm would be progressive! I did mean 470 🙂

I’ve dropped bird an email, maybe give them a buzz tomorrow.

They’re all out of stock of other colours until September!

poah
    Free Member

bird am with angle set and 140 fork would be nice

slightreturn
    Free Member

Rickon

Albion cycles in Holmfirth, Yorkshire has a orange p7 in stock.
    Give Darren a call at the shop.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m 5’10.5″ on a Zero AM medium with 130mm fork and -2 deg headset (zero stack lower cup). That makes it about 445mm reach. I wouldn’t want it any longer! Currently have a 50mm stem and 750mm bars (wider is a pain on the local trails but I have 800s on my full-sus). Considering a 35mm stem, going to borrow one from a mate and also considering going to 140mm on the forks, both of which will shorten the cockpit.

Zero TR medium with -1.5 deg angleset and 130mm fork makes sense to me. I think the BB height and seat tube angle would be barely changed (external lower cup increases stack but slacker head angle lowers it again).

rickon
    Free Member

Ahhhh, good point, forgot about the bottom cup.

Chief, what’s the difference between the TR and the Am both run with the same fork?

poah
    Free Member

tr designed around a 130mm fork, AM designed around a 150mm fork. small changes in geo

chiefgrooveguru

TR has 10mm longer chainstays with shaped tubes to the BB whilst the AM has a yoke for more tyre clearance and I suspect more stiffness. If you run the AM and TR with the same fork the AM has a steeper seat angle, lower BB and slightly slacker head angle.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero TR’ is closed to new replies.