Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • biking holidays???
  • bruders338
    Free Member

Hi looking at going on my first mountain bike holiday but most probably be going by myself.

Just wanted to see if anyone gone on one of these group holiday?
    what they like?
    whats the best company to go with?

Thanks

timthetinyhorse

bruders

i can confidently say that going away riding solo is no problem at all as you are out there meeting new people who all share the mutual love for riding, after a few years going away in groups i went out to france solo last year and had one of my best riding trips ever

if you can give me more info on the type of riding you do and the level you ride at i will be more than happy to try advise you

cheers

rob

_tom_
    Free Member

Did 2 months in whistler by myself and loved it. You meet people on the lifts etc and the trails aren’t completely empty so you’re never gonna be completely alone other than at the very start/end of each day.

d45yth
    Free Member

Like tttt says, it depends on the kind of riding you do and the level you ride at. Your budget will determine how far flung you can go and the time of year will also affect things.
    If you look about you can get some quite cheap trips away…nearly half the price of some of those companies with fancy travel brochures!
    I prefer going away in winter but for a lot of places in Europe this wouldn’t be possible. I’ve been to Spain a few times (Sierra Nevada is the best area!) and I’m off to Morocco in a few weeks. Apart from my first trip to Spain, the others I’ve been or I’m going by myself.

bruders338
    Free Member

Rob and d45yth i just brought a ex8 2011 so what ever i can do with that really, but mainly my riding at the moment is just in local woods forests is it (trail)? my local trail centre is bedgebury so thats really the hardest i have put myself throu.

Im new to all this but really want to make the most out of it, i do have a couple of mates that say they would go but just to be on the safe side i wanted just to see if it was still good to do this alone and still have fun..

What do you suggest lads/ladys?

thanks for the comments people

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did 10 days with my GF at the White Room last summer. On day 1 we split into 2 groups so we went I went in the faster one she went in the other. There was a mix of abilities, some by them selves and a couple of groups. Was good to ride with some different people and by the end of it you couldnt really tell who had come by themselves.

chakaping
    Free Member

The White Room is a good recommendation, the set-up there is quite social and I think they do Alps beginners weeks which might be a good option for you.

I went solo to Sierra Nevada a few years ago with a MTB holiday firm and met some people who are good friends and who I still ride with now. Southern Spain is great for riding too, not too hard and not too easy.

wl
    Free Member

Bike Verbier offer amazing holidays perfect for bikers on their own (and perfect for groups too). Plus trails as good as anywhere in the world, I reckon. Drop them a line or check http://www.bikeverbier.com

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have been to Morocco with Cycle Active. Phenomenal holiday one of the best we have ever been on. It really is worth the money that you pay. If you are going on your own then it’s great as you’ll meet like minded bikers. The terrain is hard going and technical so I would suggest you need to be a pretty proficient biker. Here’s a few pics:

Me on my 30th birthday!

Getting chased DH by the guide

Or you could do the Alps? I’ve never been with a guided company always done it ourselves. Morzine etc are excellent and can be done cheaper.

Went with Sierra Cycling this year, didn’t enjoy it. Feel free to search forum for further details on why not a thread was created.

We are shortly off on holiday here:
    http://www.mountainbikekerala.com/category/kerala-singletrack

will post back on what it’s like although know friends who have been already and say it’s ace.

We are doing Biker Verbier in the summer after nothing by rave reviews from here and others.

But as suggested earlier a lot depends on budget, time of year you want to go etc. Give us some more clues and we may be able to advise better!

bruders338
    Free Member

will defiantly be looking at these sites now… just this minute be talking to a friend and she dead excited.. thing is she wants to go during week 7/8 june.

would this be a good time to go
    and also she has a hardtail would this be able to handle the french alps or would a fully sus be needed. either rented or bought??

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

7/8th June you can’t go to Morzine .. well you can but the lifts won’t be open. THey don’t open until the end of June the weekend of PdS that kicks off the season. Hard tail is okay, but makes things harder. Are you looking at DH or XC? If XC no worries if DH can make it a lot harder. First year I went I took a 1994 Kona Fire Mountain .. it was 2004 I went and put on some old Pace RC34 forks, after 1 day I had ground the elastemers away and now had a rigid bike. Still had a blinding time just battered my arms. Lifts shut beginning -mid September.

bruders338
    Free Member

yeah would like to do some down hill.. but did not want to concentrate purely on this…

i just want to go see the sites on my bike have some fast dh sessions aswell as plodding alone soaking up the alps. or what ever

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Alps would be good then just not at the time, if you want to get the lift assisted DH’s in. Otherwise you could go and just ride everywhere! Morocco would also be awesome but June may well be too hot, you need to go more April or May or later in the year.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Most of the riders that come to us are traveling on thier own.

[video]http://vimeo.com/30268337[/video]

bruders338
    Free Member

that looks amazing… something like that would be awesome.

I cant wait now to get something booked up

stavromuller
    Free Member

Did a skills course with the lovely people at A Quick Release and they do biking holidays in Luchon, Pyrennes which is a fantastic place. My son is booking with them to go on his own. IMHO you could do worse. like go on holiday with someone who doesn’t want to do what you want

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

(Mr munqe chick posting)

and along the lines of meeting others, Morocco was me n MC, and half a dozen guys who were 10-20 years older than us and long time mates from the oil industry. Nearly 4 years later we are still in touch and get invited on their annual big riding trip. Despite some of the bickering on here you’ll find common ground and sharing common experiences means strangers don’t stay strangers for long.

gholling
    Free Member

I’m trying to sort out a holiday / training from 10th to 17th February… Short notice, but need more people to get it going… Sierra Nevada, amazing singletrack amazing downhills great climbing!

I’m likely to be hitting 5 – 6 hours a day

Looking for anyone else interested in having fun!

Gordon Hollingworth (Vet endurance / XC racer)

bruders338
    Free Member

gholling if you send me the details i shall let you know!!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

bruders, post on here:

[/url] it’s the Bedgebury club site and there are often people looking to hook up with others.

BTW we also do outrides to various places like Wales as well to give you some practice at more challenging trails.

Also I went to the Alps alone last year with Bike village and it was great. Rides tailored to riders abilities, small groups and Sam and Lyndsey are great hosts and as they say on their website they will talk to you even if no-one else does. Highly recommended.

bruders338
    Free Member

Hi thanks Boriselbrus added a post

Sancho
    Free Member

Had a week this Christmas with Sierra Cycling had a wicked time.

Highly recommend them

gholling
    Free Member

Bruders,

I’m looking to book into freeridespain.com went last year and it was absolutely incredible, I couldn’t believe that much singletrack can go on and on and on for so long!

I’m tied to the 10th – 17th Feb dates, but the weather is actually normally quite nice at that time and you even get a bit of snow riding up over 2000m!

Prices work out at about 400 quid for the holiday plus your airfare etc… They include transfers and full board so its actually very good value. (you basically don’t have to pay for anything else!)

if you are interested then email me on gordon@holliweb.co.uk

Cheers

Gordon

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

Great rocks Basque adventure could be ideal for you. the riding really is good.

bruders338
    Free Member

Gordon email sent.

im planing to be doing as much as possible this year (depending on funds)

Wales in april,Swiss alps in june and maybe maybe this thing in feb.

But need a bike bag! are they expensive????

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

You can get a Chain Reaction one for about 50 quid

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Bruders – I have a bike bag for sale in Maidstone. £30

email in profile if interested!

bruders338
    Free Member

Im interested mate. how do i email you? i cannot click on your name to go to your profile

d45yth
    Free Member

click on member instead! You can only click on someone’s name when they’re online. 🙄

bruders338
    Free Member

thanks im a dick

LenHankie

Went with a group to Spain with Seasonallyunadjusted in 2008 – it was superb and I’d go again like a shot if finances would allow. Great trails, weather and coaching.

Jim who ran it used to be on here as ‘Seasonallyunadjusted’ I think – not sure if they are still going?

Potdog
    Free Member

Tenerife..I’ll say no more. There are a few from here who have visited and discovered!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘biking holidays???’ is closed to new replies.