Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • biker bashing over on money saving expert forum!!
  • renton
    Free Member

Just come across this…………….

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1865285

seems like the OP really doesnt like bikers , but saying he is determined to knock one off his bike makes me think he is a right prick…..

theginjaninja
    Free Member

The usual road tax argument. Scares me to think that people want to knock someone off!

foxyrider
    Free Member

See this is the effect that jumping red lights have RE: previous rants and posts. So even if cyclists jump the lights and feel it safe and not a problem you get jerks like those who start to lothe all cyclists and then drive like prats! So it ends up carnage whereby cyclists who obey the law and HC get tarred with the same brush – pee's me off as I never jump Reds!

luked2
    Free Member

Isn't this whole traffic light debate caused by HM Government?

Until very recently they wouldn't let councils setup "green wave" traffic lights as cars (and bikes) stopping less often at red lights would have reduced the revenue from tax on petrol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7998182.stm

sslowpace
    Free Member

Road rage, alive and kicking!!
    People need to relax. Yes running a red light is wrong for everyone, but a bike in the wrong will do a lot less damage than two tonnes of urban SUV running a red light.

And yes it is worrying with the 'run 'em down' attitudes.

Shandy
    Free Member

Yes and I heard that rape victims wearing short skirts were asking for it. 🙄

onewheelgood

I read that, and many of the posts made me quite cross. I was going to respond, and the I remembered this: http://xkcd.com/386/
    There are a lot of stupid people in the world, and many of them drive cars, read the Daily Mail and post on Moneysavingexpert. Just keep your eyes open for them when you are riding.

Smee
    Free Member

THe OP there is a gimp that needs hit with a huge ball of shit.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I see they are pulling the lience one over there forgetting that a car is extremly dangoures in the worng hands where as a bike can't do that much damge if you don't know how to ride it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the OP is exactly right: Bikers should not run red lights and if they do they deserve everything they get.

bent_udder
    Free Member

From what I can see the OP in that thread is getting a bit of a bashing from others anyway. He'd better not get involved in an accident involving a cyclist now he's said he'd like to 'run one down' mind. 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

im going to deliberately run a red light today.

MrAgreeable

I would hate to be banned from cycling for my indiscreasance. 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I expect the OP goes down the pub every night and has a few fisty cuffs with the locals and then takes off dragging his knuckles on the ground as he walks 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

im going to deliberately run a red light today

BURN THE HERETIC!!!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had to add my 2ps worth.

soobalias
    Free Member

im only gonna burn the heretic if he trys to engulf me in a cloud of diesel smoke

ransos
    Free Member

"I think the OP is exactly right: Bikers should not run red lights and if they do they deserve everything they get."

Such as being deliberately run over and killed? Whilst I don't think we should run red lights, I worry about your sense of perspective.

foxyrider
    Free Member

"I think the OP is exactly right: Bikers should not run red lights and if they do they deserve everything they get."

I think that sounds like a deliberate Troll to me IMHO!

GaryLake
    Free Member

I can't actually remember the last time I saw a cyclist RLJ on my commute if I'm honest… (Bristol)

JimmyB
    Free Member

There should be a rule to allow us to turn left on a red provided it's safe…..and won't scare the sh*t out of any car drivers.

…and what's wrong with getting off, walking the bike across a pedestrian crossing & gettign back once you're over???? Can't see anything wrong with that at all.

aracer
    Free Member

As I mentioned when this last came up on the work NG, I actually see more motor vehicles jumping red lights than I do cyclists.

I do actually regularly jump a red light myself – but whilst that might still give the wrong impression, it is totally legal.

votchy
    Free Member

GaryLake – To be fair though there's noone left with a bike in Bristol with all those thefts 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

I think that sounds like a deliberate Troll to me IMHO!

No, it is not a deliberate troll: So you think cyclists should deliberately run red lights do you? While I obviously don't agree with the sentiment about deliberately running cyclists over (I ride a road bike alot, by the way), I can understand the frustration.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I do actually regularly jump a red light myself – but whilst that might still give the wrong impression, it is totally legal.

How is it legal? you can get off and walk across but that isn't jumping them.

Solo
    Free Member

Never understood people, cyclist or driver, who couldn't wait at a red light for a few minutes, at most. The alternative choice being to risk life and limb.

Anyway, there'll never be a consensus, there'll always be those cyclists who know that the rules do not apply to them and that they can ride through a red. Its just part of the Human-Condition.

I don't do it myself, but see it a lot and just wish they wouldn't. But I don't lose any sleep over it.

Solo.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

how so?

aracer
    Free Member

How is it legal?

Because they're faulty.

LOL at post 59

MrAgreeable

Out of 10-15 sets of lights on my commute, I normally jump a couple. One I can think of controls a deliberate choke point on a bus-only road in the city centre. It's not wide enough for two vehicles to fit through, but a bike and a bus can get through at the same time no problem. There's also seldom any traffic on that bit of road at all. The idea that jumping a red light = automatic 6 car pile-up is just ridiculous.

I think part of the problem is traffic planners failing to consider other users (both cyclists and pedestrians), which can make for a very tortuous journey if you don't take the odd liberty. There comes a point where you have so many restrictions to negotiate which are clearly aimed at dealing with the problems caused by cars, not cyclists, that you just think "why should this apply to me?".

owenfackrell
    Free Member

aracer – Member

How is it legal?

Because they're faulty.

Fair enough then.

aracer
    Free Member

There comes a point where you have so many restrictions to negotiate which are clearly aimed at dealing with the problems caused by cars, not cyclists, that you just think "why should this apply to me?".

Which is exactly the attitude I normally take to temporary roadworks lights. Yes that might make me part of the perception problem, but my attitude is that the only reason for the lights is because cars can't pass both ways at once, and I'm quite clearly not a car.

AndyP
    Free Member

There comes a point where you have so many restrictions to negotiate which are clearly aimed at dealing with the problems caused by cars, not cyclists, that you just think "why should this apply to me?".

there does? Never found that point myself.

Drac

There comes a point where you have so many restrictions to negotiate which are clearly aimed at dealing with the problems caused by cars, not cyclists, that you just think "why should this apply to me?

I really hope you don't drive an artic.

MrAgreeable

Only in bike lanes.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Stopped running red lights a few years back after being hunted down like a dog by a roadie!! He proceeded to explain the errors of my ways in a very reasonable and polite way. Made me take notice and I've never run a red light since. I try and do the same with other cyclists – usually newbies – with varying levels of success. Only takes one short tempered mongtard in a 1993 BMW to turn you into hamburger. 😕

crazy-legs

Which is exactly the attitude I normally take to temporary roadworks lights

You're allowed to jump temporary lights (even in a car) provided that you can see that the way is clear.
    I've gone through loads, both on a bike and in a car (after checking that it is safe to do so obviously!)

bassspine
    Free Member
    owenfackrell
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Which is exactly the attitude I normally take to temporary roadworks lights

You're allowed to jump temporary lights (even in a car) provided that you can see that the way is clear.
    I've gone through loads, both on a bike and in a car (after checking that it is safe to do so obviously!)

Are you? got a link to this? (not that i don't belive you i just wish to see it writen down fo rpeace of mind.)

pjt201
    Free Member

GaryLake – Member

I can't actually remember the last time I saw a cyclist RLJ on my commute if I'm honest… (Bristol)

I'm assuming your commute doesn't go through any traffic lights then!?! I can recall about 6 red light jumpers on my way into work this morning. There was even a car that jumped the light on my way home (turning right up zetland road at the gloucester road lights outside maplin)

crazy-legs

Are you? got a link to this? (not that i don't belive you i just wish to see it writen down fo rpeace of mind.)

I was told this by a police officer friend of mine but a quick google has just turned this up which suggests that he and I are wrong…

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/can-i-ignore-temporary-traffic-lights/216172

Edit: further Googling suggests that the law was changed from "advisory" status to "mandatory" back in 1994. Oops. I'm wrong.

Live and learn. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘biker bashing over on money saving expert forum!!’ is closed to new replies.