Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bikepacking with a dropper! simple solution
  • postierich
    Free Member

Getting ready for a week in Torridon and wanting to have a couple of bike and bivi days . Hate having to much kit on my back and I really rate the Alpkit seat pack so decided to add another seat post to strap it to giving me a little bit of drop if needed.:-)USE one bolt system so nice and easy to take off 🙂
    The post returns even with the weight!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/s7gUxg]10167932_10153271013211474_8542468197456644994_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ratsYp]11150163_10153271013261474_7866855198562424693_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

Inspired, Rich. Nice one.

krixmeister

Which rear light is that?

mulacs

That is actual genius!

portlyone

I can see that putting undue pressure on the rails.

mcnik
    Free Member

Why do you need to do that?

cyclebiker

krixmeister; it’s a Lezyne Femto led rear light.

postierich
    Free Member

Mcnik why because I’m planning on riding for the week but only need the pack for certain days the post is stealth so unable to swap easily 🙂

dantsw13

Does that put put a lot of stress on the reverb?

breadcrumb

^ I’d guess no more than a larger person riding it?

moff

Interesting solution, I wonder what the clearance is like at full travel with the seat dropped?

postierich
    Free Member

moff ZILCH! but will not be dropping it full travel!
    I,m 12 stone wet through so the reverb will handily a another couple of KG

mcnik
    Free Member

Why not just attach the bag to the dropper post though?

Why do you need an extra post?

I’d be worried about having an off and trapping my leg in there, or spearing my leg / foot etc.

postierich
    Free Member

Full drop no compression 😯
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rawrYH]11150452_10153271249201474_7641858277059470667_n-2[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

postierich
    Free Member

Why not just attach the bag to the dropper post though?
    Will probably mark it!!! the pack moves around a fair bit ,my black thomson on my bike packing bike is now silver on contact points!

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Have you deflated the shock to check that the bag doesn’t stop the suspension? It might bend your dropper post on a big hit if the forces are right!

postierich
    Free Member

I will not be hitting big hits with the seat post dropped!!! could/will probably lock the rear shock out!
    I will only be riding with this setup occasionally !

mcnik
    Free Member

That’s easy, just wrap the post in electrical tape on the contact points.

I’d still be worried about injury. That post would cut a really nice plug out of your heel etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Superb Heath Robinsoning, there! Top bodge.

Seems needless, but a top bodge nevertheless!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Well thought out, but for me, B&B FTW 😆

gg14
    Free Member

Looks ridiculous, fair play.

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** me that is quality!

Good to know someone is pushing the envelope and needs 3″ saddle drop to get their times up on their bike packing trip. Or something :/

This is a joke right?

welshfarmer

No joke. If having a dropper helps ride steep rock steps on an empty bike then it is going to be even more help on a fully laden packing bike. That was my experience anyway. I simply wrapped my dropper with closed cell foam cable tied at the top and fixed the seat bag firmly to the saddle and the very top of the post. When dropped the foam compressed and when raised went back to protecting the post. Worked fine

duncancallum

I see what you have been after. Can you not get something to fit to the saddle mounting bolts? That allows you to run a bar off it at 90°

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Intersting solution.
    Few cynics on here, I’ve been using droppers for a few years now and appreciate it just as much (and possibly more) on my fully rigid bike as i do on the full-sus. When I did the BB200 on a hardtail, I reverted to a pannier rack so I could keep the dropper, but the newer 29er doesn’t have pannier mounts, and I’ve got the Wildcat seatpack from my audax bike, so want to use it. I’m suprised none of the bikepacking luggage manufacturers have figured something out yet…

postierich
    Free Member

No droppers with these boys!

Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Fat-boy-fat

Hey welshfarmer. Any piccies closer in of your setup? It looks like a cracking solution.

FOG

I have just taken my Reverb off and replaced it with standard post so I could use my Alpkit bag for a trip I am doing soon in the Cairngorms. I should have thought harder about bodging it on so I would still be able to drop the saddle on rocky descents. Back to the drawing board !

jam-bo

Anyone thought about an enduro collar to limit the drop. I was gonna take mine off for an upcoming trip but this is making me rethink.

adsh
    Free Member

Didn’t realise so many bikes look like Spearfish!

richardthird

I used the enduro collar on a long ride, works well when you only need inch or two of drop, simpler on-or-off no thought required solution.

andyv
    Free Member

Nice solution.

Does a handlebar end-plug fit in the open end to round it off a bit?

welshfarmer

Hey welshfarmer. Any piccies closer in of your setup? It looks like a cracking solution

May not look as elegant as the bespoke saddle bags but it worked very well and once fitted never moved once and wasn’t in the way at all when pedalling. And in accordance with this thread allowed me to use the dropper to some extent for some of the more gnarly drops we encountered.

Fat-boy-fat

Just to mention, I used welshfarmer’s solution with an Alpkit Koala over 3 days on a bike packing trip this weekend. Fantastic! The drop was limited by the bottom attachment strap on my Koala but that was still about 3 inches. Great idea. Thanks welshfarmer.

benp1

This thread gave me some inspiration for a recent trip. I found a piece of dark material that would work, then promptly forgot it at home. Used a chamois I had in the car, only thing I could fine, worked fine though!

benp1

postierich
    Free Member

Looks good !

My effort worked a treat in Scotland
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rn1kaa]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking with a dropper! simple solution’ is closed to new replies.