Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike sale description dispute?
  • mrdestructo

What should be my options in this interesting case? Ask for another frame as described to be sent? Ask for a refund on a 50 day old bike?

I bought a bike online via a well known company. I paid by Paypal. The 45 day dispute window has recently closed.

What’s wrong with the bike to raise this thread? A few niggling problems with the bike I’ve worked around, but one glaring one that I just noticed.

You see, I just tried rebuilding the bike with better parts, and these included an upgrade from V brakes to Discs on a bike advertised as: “Featuring our disc ready ******* frame”

Imagine my surprise and shame at not having looked over the bike properly on arrival when this happened:

s
    Free Member

Are you for real? 😯

wwaswas

are those one of those older Trek ‘you can fit disks if you bolt an adapter on’ frames?

they do look just like ‘guard and rack mounts to me though.

if it’s misdescribed in the original ad then SOG act still aplies. I’d be talking to vendor.

mrdestructo

@s, I feel really stupid for not checking over the bike when I got it. Obviously I’ve just found checking for (temporarily redundant) disc tabs is just one of those things that can slip by you.

@wwaswas, it’s not a Trek. It is rack mounts, because I mounted my rack on it when I got it (for commuting purposes) and thus the pannier bags (which are fixed) “hid” the situation from me until I just stripped the bike for swap over of parts.

I guess this is a warning to everyone that this stuff can happen. I’ll be ringing the shop up after when the room stops spinning and I can think clearly.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Well, that isn’t disc ready. Not by a long shot. So I’d say you should have pretty good grounds to go ape with them (although you have been using it for 50 days so they might put up a fight).

BTW, is this Tim? From York? Its Dave – rode with you a few times at Brayton and around York etc back when I had a mango colour Curtis SuperX.

mrdestructo

Hey Dave. Been a decade or so, I remember, sure 🙂

Obviously having used the bike, it’s a bit scuffed and some consumable parts worn down. I suppose an A2Z adaptor, supplied by them of course, may go some way towards resolving this situation since it’ll most likely fit and do the job. I’d expect a fight, they didn’t reply to my email objecting to the internally broken fork and the dodgy BB threads that led to me being unable to ride the bike for the first month till I sorted them out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tim – with the compo ?

binners

You’ve no disc mounts, the forks and BB are nackered? And you’ve owned it less than 2 months. What on earth is it you’ve actually bought? 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Under SOGA you should be able to return it IMO

njee20
    Free Member

Raleigh Airlite? Hmmm, I can’t see they have much course for resistance.

Pay on a credit card?

mrdestructo

@Trail_rat I used to have one, yeah. It got ‘retired’ to the great bike graveyard in the sky And this is? ps. Dave may have seen that, and rode with me when I had the Coyote Dh3.

Incidentally Dave, that front wheel (Hayes/D321) performed admirably for me. Although the bloke I sold the bike onto went off a kerb and it blew into 3 pieces, so I guess I really got my monies worth 🙂

@njee_20 can’t knock the bikes geometry. It’s a bit better than the Kinesis Maxlight I used to own, and better than the GT Aggressor 3.0 I ride now, that I find the rear end too short, and loses grip too easily.

@binners – the fork I made a workaround for. Check my created thread history and you’ll see. The bike was used for commuting till now, so it performed its job functionally. The tight BB thread issue was an issue with square taper BB systems. I’ve gone to external BB and the mechanical fitting method gets round the thread issue.

EDIT: The shop has asked me to supply a photo of the frame disc tabs (or as in this case, lack of) I’ve just sent them the above. This is of course in case they forgot what they sold me. Although I appreciate that they may have the next generation frames in now and they might actually come with the advertised disc mounts.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrdestructo if your who i think you are you bought my blue xvert dcs off me then blew the top caps off jumping something silly on said compo 🙂 . – of course that may have been alex who also had a compo and destroyed things….. Did brant really sell loads of compos ?

mrdestructo

@trail_rat. Not me. Never owned them personally. I knew they wouldn’t have taken my weight. I stuck a Z1 Wedge in the front of mine, and got rid just as the stantions decided they wanted to part company with the crown (remember the de-cryo-ing Z1 Wedge first year product fiasco?) Amusingly, I never really pulled any silly stuff on the Compo. I wasn’t confident in the fork. So XC/light Freeriding only. Was unhappy when it gave up because the geometry was spot on.

Here’s mine:

these bars were dire:

And Alex’s:

Alex stuck lowered Monster T’s in the front of his. Worked quite well actually. I had a little ride on it, did a stair series and forgot to drop the saddle beforehand. Bounced off the saddle after taking the first series of steps and landed full stop on the front wheel after the second. Was stunned but relieved when I was uninjured. Really showed how strong those Monsters were in combination with the BMX style cranksets, bmx stems and moto-x bars we were starting to kit out our bikes with because we were smashing everything else.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Those were the days!

mrdestructo

So, the shop has sent me a disc brake adaptor, but they said it likely wouldn’t fit. I found out why when I took it out of the package, looked at it and the bike like a 5 year old with a 1000 piece jigsaw and then googled it up and found I’d been sent one for horizontal dropout bikes, not the vertical dropout bike I’d been sold.

I really want to fit my discs to the bike, because otherwise I envision something horrible happening, like this:

eyerideit
    Free Member

Sorry to interrupt, but could you send me a pic of the mount as if it’s right for my bike I’d wouldn’t mind buying off you.

Or can you tell me where it’s from?

cynic-al
    Free Member

great vid

mrdestructo

@eyerideit, I’ve already offered to send it back to the shop. for reference it is this one: http://www.thecyclewarehouse.co.uk/qab140.html although I have to point out that the website I am pointing to here is not the shop I am currently in dispute with.

mrdestructo

Okay, resolved. Shop has offered to pay for an A2Z adaptor to make the frame take a disc brake after I suggested it after examining the rear end (belatedly) and was 99% sure it would take one having used one before. I have full confidence in them and they aren’t that heavy that I’d be annoyed at the weight penalty for my purposes.

Anyhow, it fits (QR going through the small hole for future reference if you ever have to use one) as here:

(excuse the spacers on the bracket, I’m using an Avid front cable disc hangar on a Giant rear hydraulic, so it’s a little bit off, but not so much I couldn’t bodge it)

matt_outandabout

Still not sure I would accept that…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

So you suggested a bodge work around and they agreed? I bet they did!

They got off very lightly… and they probably know it.

Ah well if you’re happy.

mrdestructo

Well, there are some points that make it acceptable here:

1) The bike as a base to build on was very cheap
    2) It’s a Raleigh. I started on one and will finish on one 🙂
    3) I don’t want to lose this last summers riding in the country fighting for a refund then trying to sort a new bike.

PSA??: The Raleigh AT20 2011 model being sold off cheap some places and advertised as being disc ready IS NOT. I doubt many bikes of this era being sold for its purpose it is don’t come with disc tabs so this is a quandary.

mrdestructo

Update on the A2Z adaptor:

I went and hammered the hell out of my bike at a trail centre. My practically brand new rear mech is now worryingly loose at the main pivot, my rear wheel has a bit of a wobble, but the adaptor is still tightly bolted up and worked perfectly. I got to ride, I’m content.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike sale description dispute?’ is closed to new replies.