Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • bike routes from glasgow – any books?
  • andyfb78
    Free Member

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good book of good routes around the Glasgow area, or within an hours drive?

Thanks

Andy

haggis1978

Glentress and Drumlanrig are just over an hour away and if you head up the west highland way you can explore round there for hours

wallace1492
    Free Member
    hainman
    Free Member

andyfb78 where abouts do you live??
    haggis glentress is just short of 2hrs from glasgow
    carron valley or aberfoyle are about an hours drive

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Gt 2 hours from Glasgow?? Hainman are you going via Aberdeen or something, Gt is only about 1hr 15 mins if that.

BoardinBob

Gt 2 hours from Glasgow?? Hainman are you going via Aberdeen or something, Gt is only about 1hr 15 mins if that.

Hainman on his way to GT

1.5 hours max from the southside of Glasgow to GT in my big shaggin’ wagon that doesn’t exceed 60mph

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Down the m74 and across at abingon is the quickest way. Can be done easily in an hour at the right time of day.

hainman
    Free Member

ok so havent been since the new m74 opened…..my mistake.i actually travelled from clydebank.sorry

BoardinBob

Clydebank ain’t Glasgow 😉

hainman
    Free Member

nope but its only 10miles outside glasgow but my point was even from glasgow it was longer than an hour to glentress when i went but maybe the new m74 opening might have made it quicker…

maccruiskeen

I won’t contribute to a the pissing contest over how quickly anyone can drive to britains best known trail centre from glasgow. I’m sure the OP doesn’t need a book to find it either 🙂 . The best documented trails are generally out to the north of glasgow. If heading south is more convenient then this guys site is very useful (all be it a little chaotic)

Gary_M
    Free Member

erm cathkin braes or glennifer braes for a pootle about which doesn’t involve driving a long way. Aberfoyle, mugdock, campsies.

None of the above are trail centres though.

hainman
    Free Member

althepal

Some nice natural stuff in the kilpatrick hills at the back of Clydebank..
    Won’t even need the car!!

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Lol @ Bob 🙂 Drivin miss crazy!

haggis1978

Never gone down the m74 to glentress via Abington (?) I travel from shawlands and either go over the Kingston bridge along to Edinburgh and down or I head to my mates in Carluke to pick him up via the m74. Both ways takes me about 1hr and 10mins. If you’re Looking for places to ride though I’d give the Glasgow mtb club a look at. The have regular rides up around the WHW and mugdock. I went out with them a few rides last year and they clearly now where to go and I was surprised at how much there was to ride up there, you an head out for hours and hours. Their Local knowledge is brilliant and I really must get out with those guys again as they’re good craic and make you feel welcome.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Mountain bike Glasgow Meetup group ,go on a few rides with them and you’ll soon learn where all the trails are , there even friendly 😉 http://www.meetup.com/Mountainbikeglasgow/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘bike routes from glasgow – any books?’ is closed to new replies.