Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)
  • Bike Park Wales is go!
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

http://www.bikeparkwales.com/

Like a ski resort for bikers! I’m fairly local but really haven’t been following this but looks like it’s gonna be great.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

can’t wait, should be fun!

cloudnine
    Free Member

http://www.bikeparkwales.com/trails

theres only a tiny pro section… where will we all ride??

kimbers

wonder how hard this will hit the cwmdown uplift

M1llh0use
    Free Member

1 4.6km climb
    21 various descents.

i wonder how busy the climb will be and how quickly it will get cut up?

funkybaj
    Free Member

I imagine the climb is fireroad as it appears to take the same route as the uplift vans, should be fine.

Edit: actually not all of it mind.

makkag
    Free Member

new riding is good riding – looking forward to it hopefully in September

molgrips
    Free Member

Fab.. not too far from me either.

therag
    Free Member

The climb is close to the road in parts but all off road.
    2 blue runs with a couple of optional routes
    2 red runs with a black option
    2 black runs with pro lines
    1 pump track
    1 family trail

Northwind

M1llh0use – Member

1 4.6km climb
    21 various descents.

i wonder how busy the climb will be and how quickly it will get cut up?

Only on STW can we be presented with a bike park with a stack of descents and have someone wondering about the climb 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

it’s flippin’ epic our group Aberdare MTB have been helping out on volunteer dig days and can say it’s amazeballs

got an uplift booked for the opening day and can’t wait 😀

only 15 min ride from my house too – get in :mrgreen:

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Moving back to Swansea end of august from Whistler, this has lifted my spirits alot!!

therag
    Free Member

Dig day tomorrow if anyone is interested. Working on the climb.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Already booked an uplift day , can’t wait!

Drac

Looks interesting.

LoCo
    Free Member

10 mins from the workshop 😀

Konastoner
    Free Member

hexhamstu – Member

Moving back to Swansea end of august from Whistler, this has lifted my spirits alot!!

Really???????? I detect slight disappointment at best.

I agree its a step in the right direction but van uplifts are not the way forward.

chakaping
    Free Member

I agree its a step in the right direction but van uplifts are not the way forward.

Did you visit Antur Stiniog? Works brilliantly there.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks good, may have to make the effort of driving all the way there if this “heat wave” continues through to the start of august when I have some time off 🙂

Northwind

Konastoner – Member

I would have agreed til I rode at antur stiniog, extremely fast turnaround there. Not quite as fast a chairlift but over this distance, not a kick in the balls off it- I’d far rather use Antur’s vans than Glencoe’s chair…

In terms of investment costs it’s hard to argue with, how many road + van + trail setups can you build for the price of one chair + trail setups?

therag
    Free Member

A Stiniog has it dialed due to the ease of access to the top via a Tarmac road. Bpw wouldn’t be as fast turn around as there but I believe it will still be a huge success and there’s loads of room left on the mountain to expand over the next few years.
    I think a chair lift would have cost £5m to buy and instal, one day hopefully.

Northwind

Antur doesn’t have a tarmac road to the top- they use a short stretch of main road then it’s onto dirt.

therag
    Free Member

Yes such a direct route including a tarmac road I should have wrote. Great service they run.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

dont no if im reading the trails wrong, but it doesnt seem very long to me. its a long drive for hours ride ??

therag
    Free Member

I’m not sure what kind of time the black will take to get down, but the blues & reds should be about 7-12mins

skeetsgb
    Free Member

sounds about rite. all the trails in a hour 8O. afan is less than a hour away also.

Northwind

Bit daft that, it’s an uplift venue- you can ride all the waymarked downhills at innerleithen in about 20 minutes but you wouldn’t say “long way to drive for 20 minutes riding”- partly because once you’re done you do it again, and partly because you can’t really measure downhill in minutes, you can pack as much into a single run as you’d get from hours of trailbike riding.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…its a step in the right direction but van uplifts are not the way forward.

I would have agreed til I rode at antur stiniog, extremely fast turnaround there. Not quite as fast a chairlift but over this distance, not a kick in the balls off it- I’d far rather use Antur’s vans than Glencoe’s chair…

In terms of investment costs it’s hard to argue with, how many road + van + trail setups can you build for the price of one chair + trail setups?

i’m increasingly sceptical of the need for uplifts at all (in the uk)

with clever trail design you can get a lot of descendy fun out of very little climbing.

with clever trail design climbing is easy, and fun.

even flat trails can be ace!

(thankfully no-one listens to me 😀 )

singlespeedstu

Shame they couldn’t have inhereted the chair lift that used to be on the other side of the valley.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Great to see some investment on this scale in MTB in the UK. I’m booked on already and can’t wait to drive over on BankHoliday!

wrecker
    Free Member

I think it’s ace. An utterly brilliant thing to have, and I expect it’ll bring loads of people to the area. Can’t wait to get some time in there.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see what the trails are like.

wrecker
    Free Member

Rowan Sorrell is the director of BPW. That’s all the confirmation I need 😀

Bushwacked
    Free Member

You know it!!! 😆

mduncombe
    Free Member

I would worry you are going to spend more time sat in a van than sat on your bike… besides I like riding uphill.

I am with ahwiles on this but then I am an old fart 🙂

Northwind

mduncombe – Member

I would worry you are going to spend more time sat in a van than sat on your bike… besides I like riding uphill.

I’ve nothing against riding uphill, but yesterday I jumped on the innerleithen bus a couple of times and it meant I could do an average day’s climbing but about twice as much descending. Can’t be bad can it?

For me, uplifts aren’t about avoiding climbing, they’re just about spending more time descending. After a good uplift day I’m just as knackered as after a day’s xc, it’s differently physical but still no lazy option.

wrecker
    Free Member

besides I like riding uphill.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. I love trail riding but aside from the thrill, Riding DH runs on a trail bike brings my skills on so quickly. Also, you don’t need to ride the uplift. £5 for the day if you want to pedal to the top.

mikey74
    Free Member

i’m increasingly sceptical of the need for uplifts at all (in the uk)

with clever trail design you can get a lot of descendy fun out of very little climbing.

with clever trail design climbing is easy, and fun.

even flat trails can be ace!

(thankfully no-one listens to me )

I feel you may have completely missed the point 🙄

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Well I think its crap.

We are going on hols down that way but for the first 2 weeks in August FFS.

r17anm
    Free Member

Are there no xc trails at all then ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales is go!’ is closed to new replies.