• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike Park Wales…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

had an awesome time this weekend at BPW….i didnt realise that it was the 1st anniversary…but the place was heaving but thankfully they had 5 minibuses doing the uplift.

they opened up the new A470 line….and its an absolute belter!!
    super fast and some awesome jumps!!

anyway here are some pics for you to enjoy…

and yes that’ll teach me to leave my elbow pads at home…

zilog6128

Awesome! Going again next month, looking forward to it even more now!

Watching the promo video for A470 – is this what the two ladies were riding on the Cycle Show a few weeks ago? It didn’t look familiar at all at the time but is ringing a few bells now!

gonzy
    Free Member

we didnt know about it until the second to last uplift.
    you need to head down melted welly…when you get into the trees you need to look out for a turn on the right (if you turn left then you carry on along melted welly) and then keep right again and you’ll see the signpost for the route followed by a small north shore type drop in…follow this route as it winds through the trees and on the exit the gravel turns orange/red.
    the jumps are awseome!
    it was very dry at the weekend and the grip was all over the place due the the loose surface…but the A470 had stacks of grip.

my fall happened on the second run on the A470 when i carried to much speed into one of the jumps…you have to be careful as its very quick

gonzy
    Free Member

here’s a vid posted by someone else of A470

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XVDwBcl60[/video]

iolo
    Free Member

is that Doddy in one of the pics?

gonzy
    Free Member

yes…we bumped into him and the MBUK boys a couple of times waiting for the uplift…he was testing out a new Mondraker
    we also spotted Rowan Sorrell hobbling about on his broken leg down at the cafe too…his missus told us he broke it on one of the tracks.

kayak23

He’s virtually always there.. I think they like to use it as a test centre for mag bikes.

I heard his dads dog died……

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Glad you had a great time. Injuries look superficial too, you don’t want anything too lasting

Seems like i’ll go against the grain and say, the new trail? Big thumbs down from me. Apparently inspired by A-Line, well I guess it has jumps in it, like A-Line?

Not entirely sure why they have constructed it out of what appeared to be pea shingle, which was falling apart mid way through the first day, it will be like riding through a gravel pit in a couple of weeks.

Good to see they are cracking on with a few more trails at least though 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

……diddy?

marky29er
    Free Member

Lucky bugger. I was going there today, I turned back halfway due to the rain.
    Currently sat at home wishing I had carried on. 🙁

gonzy
    Free Member

Injuries look superficial too, you don’t want anything too lasting

yes that’s true…the elbow is still a bit sore and my neck, shoulder and lower back are still very sore and stiff…will have to see how that pans out given my back injury record… 😕
    i landed on my helmet with legs in the air after going over the bars. to be honest i’m glad that i didnt do anything worse than that…thinking about how i landed i could easily have broken my neck…

Apparently inspired by A-Line

that’s what Rowan Sorrell’s missus told us too

Not entirely sure why they have constructed it out of what appeared to be pea shingle, which was falling apart mid way through the first day, it will be like riding through a gravel pit in a couple of weeks.

it was very dry and dusty at the weekend. we didnt do enter the dragon or dai hard but all the other runs were very loose and sketchy in places. everyone i spoke to seemed to be having the same issue with a lack of grip
    however i found the A470 grippier in comparison…but as you say this was the first time it was opened to the public and over time that will probably change…i cant wait to go back!! 😆

gonzy
    Free Member

Lucky bugger. I was going there today, I turned back halfway due to the rain.
    Currently sat at home wishing I had carried on.

you should have carried on!! the tracks were bone dry on sunday…rain probably would have helped with the loose surface

Mister-P
    Free Member

BPW this weekend was great fun and the weather held out nicely. I was giving this a little test run on Saturday –

Then spinning the spanners for this lot on Sunday –

Didn’t get to ride on Sunday so haven’t tried the new trail. There were a lot of smiles on the faces of those who had ridden it though.

Thanks to all the BPW staff members who made us feel very welcome and provided a much needed cuppa.

gonzy
    Free Member

Then spinning the spanners for this lot on Sunday

aahh…i took my bike in there for a quick tune up on Sunday morning….did we meet?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I wondered what the traction was like in the dry. The only time I visited was wet and miserable, but the grip was amazing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Quite possibly. There were two of us, I was the one in the black Shimano t-shirt.

deviant
    Free Member

Lovely Saracen Ariel, now that the swingarm/linkage has been changed can these bikes run coil shocks?…i seem to remember my 2012 vintage Ariel couldnt as the shock sat too deep into the surrounding linkage.

kayak23

aye-aye – Member 
    ……diddy?

No, Doddy 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah all your photos work on my phone, didn’t all show on my work laptop earlier. I know who you are now. Nice to put a face to a name!

gonzy
    Free Member

Is that a good or bad thing? 😛
    I cant remember if it was you who worked on my bike….if it was then thanks for the tune up!

gonzy
    Free Member

Mister P – you also tinkered with my friends Trek Remedy…it had the knackered XTR rear mech. i think you advised him to send it back for a warranty repair…even though he bought it second hand he managed to blag his way with shimano and got a brand new one of them so he says thanks for the advice! 😀

p.s. sorry for the dirty chain on mine… 😉

EDIT: WTF is going on with my pictures?! they’ve all disappeared!! 😥

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales…’ is closed to new replies.