Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Bike Cleaning – the holy grail …
  • rone

worx hydroshot This thread is not for you if you’re going to post a picture of a B&M bargain’s sponge, bucket or hand pressure washer. Also, I like a clean bike – I only ride MTB and so does the GF so we always have mucky bikes. I need something to speed it all up and still end up with a decent finish.

Okay. So my quest was almost complete after discovering the cleanbyair system specifically for bike cleaning. A low pressure high volume cleaning and drying system.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/httpwwwcleanbyaircom

It was great … until it died last week. And the British ‘company’ behind it still seem to be in business but are not answering my calls or emails. Duh.

£299 for 18 months is not a great ROI. But it was great for the period I used it.

Back to the drawing board.

I’ve owned a lot of the portable stuff and they’re usually not reliable and the pressure is a little bit down.

Searching around I came across this QVC type special (yeah I know)

worx hydroshot

It’s quite a bit lower pressure than a pressure washer but has enough blast to improve on a hose. It’s rechargeable and portable. Can be connected to a bucket of water or water source via a filter system included or just a hose.

The system runs on a 20V shared battery for the rest of their tools so I will probably couple with something else like their small leaf blower for drying off.

Thought I’d share. There are some folks out there who like a clean bike too!

Daffy

£300! I’m all for a bit of detailing, but £300!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Have you tried a home bargains sponge?

rone

Got several Gs (when new) worth of bikes between us – it’s not that much for something that speeds up cleaning and keeps me happy. And I do think the drying cycle certainly keeps the bikes in great condition.

It was worth it to met at the time. Bit pissed at the customer support now. That’s what you get for supporting British stuff!

RustyNissanPrairie

Can I have the broken one?
    Swop you for some of the 12thousand tons of foam we make every year

rone

I’ve taken the motor apart to try and fix it. Not going well.

richardthird

Hose, sponge, towel, and some of Crankalicious’ fine products.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the post. I’ve been waiting for a long term review/bit more feedback on the clean by air. I also think it’s worth a bit of time, effort and expenditure to keep our fleet at their best.

nosedive
    Free Member

I share your pain. Ive got a mobi which quickly gets passed around at races and emptied leaving bikes that are barely clean. The idea of sticking a hose in a stream / lake / bucket would be brilliant, especially if it was rechargable from a leisure battery

nosedive
    Free Member

Erm how do you actually buy it? Seems like they forgot to put that on the website

nealglover
    Free Member
    Tracey

We have had a Word one for most of the season. Has worked great on our Alps trip. Battery has only needed charging once. Got ours from Argos

rone

Got mine from Argos too.

Going to get the bottle adapter. That’s handy when you’ve not got an immediate source.

Be wary that it can come cheaper without a battery and charger.

ross16v
    Free Member

I know you said no pressure washers but what about one with variable pressure setting. I use my Karcher K4 and just turn down the pressure for sensitive areas such as pivots, hubs, headset etc. Then just dry the bike off and oil/lube.

Edit: Sorry just noticed you’re after something portable 😳

barrykellett
    Free Member

Got that Worx Hydroshot after another Mobi died on me.
    I haven’t actually used it yet, but my Pit man at last sundays CX race says it was brilliant!

It cleaned 3 bikes for me, and I don’t know how many for other riders in the club coming in, but the battery faded badly during the 2nd race period of the day.
    I’d estimate 8 or 9 bikes washed. But they were horrendously muddy bikes to start with.

Will invest in additional Batteries for it at some stage.

variflex
    Free Member

Yep got a worx unit last week as my outside tap has gone due to building works. Very good. Not as much pressure as a main unit but good enough for a bike. Does the job very well. I run it off a 25litre water tank (5 quid off ebay). More pressure than a hose and multi head for different spray patterns. Dont make the mistake I made and buy the sub 100 quid one as it doesnt come with battery or charger, so I sent it back and swapper for the full kit which is much better value circa £118.

medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got the Worx wonder the other day too. I’ve used it once so far, but it was sooooo blooody goood!!! I washed a very muddy bike with about 3/4 full standard mop bucket and 1/4th of Muc Off, in about 15 minutes – including drivetrain clean and lubricating. Awesome bit of kit!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Worx thingy looks good.

rone

Update: cleanbyair chap contacted me today. Going to get it fixed.

The worx device is terrific though.

If I had to be picky it doesn’t last too long and takes ages to charge (5hrs) so I’ve bought a rapid charger and an extra battery.

The battery is getting better after a few charges though, enough to do 2 bikes well or several bikes half-hearted.

I’ve got the detergent add-on and 2l bottle adapter.

Much, much better than any mobi or the like.

I’ve also got the small leaf blower by worx for drying,uses the same battery.

Lots of options now.

daviek

How about something like this with water container to pump out of?

12v pump

Can’t figure out how the link didn’t quite work out but it still takes you where you need to go

Goldigger
    Free Member

£10

DickBarton

Define speeds up? I can get a totally manky bike done and dusted (not dried) in under 5 minutes.
    Quick hose down then a good spray of Muc-off and then hose after a minute…as the stuff is done as the ride ends (at my house), it all comes off with a standard garden hose. Everything is clean and bike gets bounced dry then lubed…total time is about 7 minutes.

Your idea sounds good but the cost is prohibitive.. 300 quid for something I’d use for 5 minutes is a waste when the alternatives are so much cheaper.

Of course also depends on what you class as clean – it sounds like you want surgically clean whereas I just need all the dirt off my bike.

After a bike ride that has the bike manky, I’m keen to get it clean asap and if it is that bad then so am I and I also need a clean…so it has to be very quick.

weeksy

it sounds like you want surgically clean whereas I just need all the dirt off my bike.

I don’t see why their solution would magically make it cleaner than using a hose/brush.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier to get the grit out of your chain with a jetwasher than it is with a garden hose, if you have had a really gritty ride in an upland sandstone area. Jetwashers don’t get the rest of the bike surgically clean anyway. Only a sponge/brush and detergent does that.

[source: 25 years’ experience of bike cleaning]

Rio

I’ve got the Hydroshot – it’s ok, but if you’ve got access to a hose this works better. £10.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

like the idea of this worx one, as I have taps at the places I clean bikes, so just means attaching the hose end, which is a doddle…much easier than lumbering around the big mobi washer full of water, when the mobi washer breaks (if it does) ill get one of these thanks for the heads up, didn’t even know such a thing existed

rone

Define speeds up? I can get a totally manky bike done and dusted (not dried) in under 5 minutes.
    Quick hose down then a good spray of Muc-off and then hose after a minute…as the stuff is done as the ride ends (at my house), it all comes off with a standard garden hose. Everything is clean and bike gets bounced dry then lubed…total time is about 7 minutes.

Your idea sounds good but the cost is prohibitive.. 300 quid for something I’d use for 5 minutes is a waste when the alternatives are so much cheaper.

Let’s just say people’s version of clean, dry and timing vary.

Hoses and the like don’t clean very well around the difficult to get to parts of a bike. Simple as that really. Drying is part of that process.

The amount of people that tell me they can have a clean bike in 5 minutes…

Of course also depends on what you class as clean – it sounds like you want surgically clean whereas I just need all the dirt off my bike.

True.

rone

I don’t see why their solution would magically make it cleaner than using a hose/brush.

It’s a complete process isn’t it.

low pressure jet/air wash forces gunk off (certainly better than our water mains pressure). You then have to go in with scrubbing stuff with whatever your poison is.

I’m not a fan of mains jet washers anyway, they’re cumbersome and too much for a bike. Hydroshot is somewhere in between.

Drying is better served with air than a cloth IMHO. You force water out of all the trouble spots.

My 11,000 mile Czar looks fab for four years old. As does the GF’s who’s bike I always have to clean too.

The cleanbyair combined all the elements together (apart from the battery) but because it was not a mass produced item it was expensive.

rone

I’ve got the Hydroshot – it’s ok, but if you’ve got access to a hose this works better. £10.

Why didn’t you just buy the brush extension for the Hydroshot?

molgrips
    Free Member

A good way I’ve found is to use a sponge and spray muc-off (or similar) on the sponge. You can do the whole bike with a few squirts this way and it comes up very nice and clean. Few more squirts and a conical brush does the pivot/bb/front mech tangle area.

Rio

Why didn’t you just buy the brush extension for the Hydroshot?

The Hydroshot brush is shaped for cleaning flat-ish surfaces. The Hozelock wheel brush I find is a much better shape and easily gets into otherwise difficult-to-reach places like hubs and between wheels and the frame. Best bike cleaning thing I’ve ever bought, even though I originally got it for the cars’ wheels.

DickBarton

Agreed…as I mentioned in my post…the idea of clean differs for individuals…I don’t want showroom clean…it just needs the chap cleaned off so it works.
    Do you keep the bike in the house? That would definitely mean the bike would need to be cleaner so it doesn’t ruin carpets (again, if that matters to you).

For my cleaning requirements a hose and muc-off does it all, but it only works if it is done as soon as the ride ends.

oikeith

A good way I’ve found is to use a sponge and spray muc-off (or similar) on the sponge. You can do the whole bike with a few squirts this way and it comes up very nice and clean. Few more squirts and a conical brush does the pivot/bb/front mech tangle area.

This for me also, but I will give it a pre rinse with the garden hose and then use it after to shower the muc off of, then dry using cloth.

JackHammer

what about this one?
    Bish, Bash, BOSCH!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, that too.

Mud off with hose
    Muc off on sponge and rub down, if I can be bothered (this is only cosmetic)
    Muc off on chain
    Hose on chain to blast out mud – this works if it’s not been that gritty – if it’s been a proper grit fest then jetwasher
    Rinse all over
    WD40 on chain
    Fork Juice on stanchions and shock

cookeaa

Although I own a Pressure washer, I haven’t used it on the bike in donkeys years, the hose has plenty of pressure (possibly a bit OTT)…

The only reason I could see that Worx thing being useful is if you can use it with a non-mains, low pressure water source i.e. a water butt or something in a location where you can’t easily run a hose to, so it might suit washing my car round the front of the house rather than my current practise of connecting two hoses to…

But it would have to be way cheaper to be worth it, I’ll put up with occasional faff rather than spunk £100+ on a toy…

Ultimately I’d still find a bucket and brush preferable for cleaning a bike…

WD40 on chain

Unless you genuinely hate chains why do this to them?

rone

what about this one?
    Bish, Bash, BOSCH!

Mains, and too much pressure for me. I’m sure it would work for someone.

But it would have to be way cheaper to be worth it, I’ll put up with occasional faff rather than spunk £100+ on a toy…

I don’t think £129 is bad at all for an all-in-one jet wash with battery and charger! I don’t have occasional faff I have to clean two bikes around 5-6 times a week.

Ultimately I’d still find a bucket and brush preferable for cleaning a bike…

Fair enough. As discussed you still need to clean the bike even using a jet-wash. Some pressure just helps get the big stuff off.

You guys must have better water pressure than me.

DickBarton

You guys must have better water pressure than me.

Probably not, but I suspect most of us don’t clean our bike(s) more than once a week, whereas you are doing it daily (still unsure why, but then you are the one using the bike so know how manky it gets)…I suspect if I had to wash more than twice a week then I’d maybe think my 5 minutes job was getting tedious, but until then, a hose and muc-off is very hard to beat…

km79
    Free Member

If I had to spend over an hour a week washing bikes I’d build a automated bike wash.

DickBarton

How long does the cleaning take? Is it spotless straight-from-the-shop-floor clean or just all the crud washed off?

I reckon drying would take me under 10 minutes but again it would be like my washing…just enough for the main crud to be off (muc-off does seem to get the vast majority of crud off).

Sorry for all the replies…I’m on holiday so no work to stop me pondering!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Bike Cleaning – the holy grail …’ is closed to new replies.