Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bike build with pics
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

My son has just about out grown his 20″ wheeled Hotrock, so over the past couple of months we’ve been gathering bits up to build up his first bike.

Mixture of new and used bits from here, eBay, CRC & Rose, came in around £350, which I think is pretty good, weights c.26lb.

Bits

Forks on

Tightening up the pinch bolts

Installing the cassette

Roller

Finishing up with the brakes

All done

Quick test ride and all is good

Short ride with the dog, very wet, muddy and cold but still smiling

bobmac892

Well done. Can’t wait to do this with my son and get him spannering a bike together.

northernmatt

My little lad just turned one a few weeks back. I’m looking forward to all this.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Time goes so fast, doesn’t seem long ago when he was on a 12″ wheeled balance bike.

eskay

A great education for the lad. My two boys love cycling, I have not forced it upon them but I think they pick up on you watching it on TV, reading bike mags, seeing you go out for rides etc.

Hope he enjoys his new bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BEST
    BIKE
    BUILD
    THREAD
    IN
    AGES!

😉

Love it!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ace!

2.5 year old here who finds his Rothan a bit too heavy still, chomping at the bit but especially keen/aware to not force it on him.

Great thread!

teasel
    Free Member

Nice.

Of note, that weird metal pic thing on the wall…

r1chtea
    Free Member

This is awesome, what a great thing to do!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

My son shows no interest in bikes at all and has no want to ride one either, which is obviously not what I would like. But I wont push him to do anything he doesnt except homework !. I was really chuffed when i built a new bike a week ago and he was asking which bit did what and where it went, which in my eyes was pretty cool.
    Maybe he might one day and I can build a bike for him ,like you’ve done with your son. Happy riding !!

DT78
    Free Member

Where did you get the metal thing on the wall….I quite like that?

Oh and start em young, will be an awesome bike mechanic…

mattjg
    Free Member

brilliant, lucky lad and good job you

takisawa2

Super thread. Nice bike. Great to see him getting in there with the spannering.
    Good lad. 🙂

Picked up a 12″ Hotrock for my lad, as they are quite rare, but he’s still a way off riding it yet. Gives me time to do some mods…rigid Exotic forks, discs, new wheels, lighter tyres etc. Keen to get him doing some tinkering too. Debated building some 24″ rims to get him on it a bit sooner.

IMAG0109 by pten2106, on Flickr

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for all the nice comments, its been a great day.

Metal art thingy came from here:
    http://www.jazzitupinteriors.co.uk/acatalog/METAL_WALL_ART_SCULPTURES.html

Kuco

🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

A proper feel good thread. Good work to you and your boy. 8)

kristoff
    Free Member

Great thread!

I’m just about to move my eldest boy (6 year old) up to a 20″ can’t wait for him to be big enough for a full size bike so we can build one together 🙂

stevestunts
    Free Member

Excellent post! Look forward to doing similar with my lass, albeit a few years in the future. She’s already seen me build a bike up, although was too young at the time (1 year) to really register what was going on, but hopefully it’s planted the seeds.

Somewhat strangely, she calls a bike “Bicycle”, when I’m sure “Bike” would be much easier for a two year old to grasp.

On a related note, I walked through the local park today and spotted the daughter of a local well-known 90s female elite XC heartthrob was riding a beauty of a little Islabikes roadie. I’d love one of those for my daughter when she is old enough.

thatscracking
    Free Member

Great post!

CalamityJames
    Free Member

As above, fantastic post and leaves a nice warm glow. Cannot wait to get to this stage with my own son, though will be some years yet.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cool build..
    Are they 24 or 26″ wheels??

mattjg
    Free Member

Somewhat strangely, she calls a bike “Bicycle”, when I’m sure “Bike” would be much easier for a two year old to grasp.

My 2 year old girl shouts BIKE! when she sees one, including on the tv or my t-shirts.

I think she’s got the message.

takisawa2

90s female elite XC heartthrob

Spill the beans then…

Caroline Alexander…?
    Missie…?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Cloudnine, 26″ wheels from Tracey off of this very forum 🙂

grtdkad

Good lad! Cool bike 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Nice thread, nice wee bike too! Hope you both get to share some good times on the trails!

youngrob

Brilliant thread, he looks really pleased with his bike, as he should. Hope you both enjoy it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bike build with pics’ is closed to new replies.