Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • Big Bike Bash 2011
  • DezB
    Free Member

Everyone have a good time then?
    Best yet I thought! Mainly because the gravity and pump tracks kept my boy occupied for HOURS!
    Left my SD Card at home so will have to do the photos tomorrow, do have a couple of little videos that I’ll get on Youtube in a bit.
    Well done to Nick, Matt and the crew for another great weekend of bike-related entertainment.
    Looking forward to next year already! 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Gutted I missed this. You’d think someone might have mentioned it on here in advance to let us know it was happening.

Clink

Fab wasn’t it? My wife did her first ever race and came back with a massive grin on her face – brilliant!

DezB
    Free Member

Bar-cam video from the under14’s race.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z63SbHvP5k0[/video]
    He never mentioned the crash!

mattbee

Had a brilliant weekend. My rattly old Klein held up to a weekend of racing, my wife had fun and I even won a prize for binning it in the night race!
    The short course XC was one of the funnest thyings I’ve take part in on a bike.

Looking forward to next year already, Ta to all involved and to all the lovely people I met.

(That band on Sat eve though- what was going on there? Proper odd….)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hi Mattbee spoke to you a few times I was the fat guy on a Proflex 🙂

I loved seeing it from a riders POV rather than an organiser. Definatly the best event in the UK.

Hope I can make next year.

Clink

(That band on Sat eve though- what was going on there? Proper odd….

Agreed!

DJ on Friday night was great – wish he had been on all Sat evening! That ‘band’ were weird – and the projected images were not family friendly!! We normally stay up dancing, but that band sent us back to our tents.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the band (Foul Geese iirc) were great! However, I only saw one song as I had to put my kid to bed 🙂

HarryTuttle

Ace weekend!

We all loved it, I even get the day off today because I managed to crash and can’t rember it…… Fine now though, but if anyone saw a guy on a red 456 bin it somewhere between the north shore and the arena I’d like to know what happened!

I’m rather proud of how my boy was clearing the table tops on the gravity track, I couldn’t do that when I was 8!

I’ll see about some photos later when I’ve down loaded them.

Thanks to all the guys that organise this event, and I’ll be there next year!

HarryTuttle

The bands were better last year, however my son did his bit for the entertainment with his Poi, thanks to Elfin for putting him on the truck roof!

DezB
    Free Member

Hey Harry, that was me and Elfin (+1 other) that found you crashed after your bit on the north shore..
    I think you just over shot the drop. Landed on your front wheel you said!

DezB
    Free Member

No photos yet??

Ok then, another vid clip, from my boy on the gravity track. Where he left most of the skin from his knees and elbows.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS22rB9rg5Y[/video]

(no sound as it was just crackling)

Clink

No photos yet??

Too busy doing stuff! 😀

Here’s one of first lap of Short Track

petrieboy

We had a great time. Due to a combination of arriving late on Saturday and mechanical issues I never actually entered any events but did manage half a lap of the xc course (very slowly with no brakes) and the family had a great time regardless. petriboy Jr#1 made more progress on his Rothan than in the past 6 months – must have been watching all the bigger boys on theirs. I’m sure the total output of Islabikes manufacturing was on site!!
    The bullheart ale was great, food was good and the bands (except the Saturday night weirdness) were good too. Lots of friendly people (loads of people asking about the bell tent I really ought to be on commission) and I think I actually spoke to Elfin whilst watching the lake jump.
    Cheers to WCA and the team for a great weekend (especially the wee fife lad for doing a deal on a jersey and water bottle) we’ll be there next year for sure.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I will try and put our photos up tonight. Here is one of Lydon Dez…

DezB
    Free Member

+ my knee 🙂

shortcut

Great weekend – much beer and riding made for a great time.

Really good to catch up with an old friend who I now know is Mattbee on here! Hi Matt.

The usual top class prizes and improving organisation and good crowd – make this is a top weekend away!

Jolly Well done to Nick and the team for organising and also to all who took part and made it such fun in great company!

Looking forward to next years event!

nacho
    Free Member

Fantastic weekend, my kids loved it and mrsnacho even did a lap of the XC course (she’s a roadie and doesn’t like riding through mud 😆 but she said she’ll come back and do it again next year!)
    Beer was great and again we met some lovely people. Mattbee I think I was chatting with you at the prizgiving after they gave you your prize – the joystick – which I think cheered you up immensely.
    We will definatley be back again next year, this time with maybe a few more friends. Thanks to Nick et al for organising a great event. I wonder how many people I spoke to that are on here but use their real not forum names!

vd

Well I had a great day on Saturday.

Entered my first ever races…and won one!

I will now wear my rainbow stripes with pride whenever I eat malt loaf!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Cracking weekend. Rumour has it that it might be even more special next year. Loved the ‘No Foot’ event. As the numbers reduced it became a sort of ‘chess on bikes’. Doing my first ever lake jump was a scary thing but after my ten year old had shown me the way there was no bottling it.

Clink

Rumour has it that it might be even more special next year

Why might that be then?

nacho
    Free Member

Does anyone know where to get or have the XC race results?

soma_rich
    Free Member

nacho if you didnt come 1st 2nd or 3rd then you didnt win a prize. If you want to get race times maybe you missed the idea/ethos of the Big Bike Bash.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Clink, someone had an idea about combining it with another event and the owners of the site are keen to do anything that increases their profile. That’s about as far as it went but there’s certainly plenty of potential although everyone’s aware that the event could be spoiled by getting too big.
    Personally I think the venue could work very well for a singlespeed event. SSEC13?

Jason
    Free Member

We (me, wife, 6 year old & 2 year old) all had a great time. This was the 3rd BBB we have been to, and probably the best so far.

Good to see the legacy the previous events have left with the new pump track and gravity track. I can’t think of any other event I have been to where something really positive has been created from the proceeds.

The highlights for the kids were the bales of hay, they loved them. I think I might buy them some for Christmas! My daughter really liked the craft tent too.

Great to see Shortcut on the top step of the podium, something those who know him thought we would never see. 😀

The xc course was interesting with the ever changing ditches and comedy boggy bits. We had a few novice riders in our group and they had a go at the 1 lap races and seemed to enjoy it, yet it was still challenging for more experienced riders.

Well done Nick and Louis (and everyone else who helped) for putting on a superb event.

So what is the date for next year?

Clink

Personally I think the venue could work very well for a singlespeed event. SSEC13?

Bloody good idea….

brokensoul
    Free Member

Thanks for a great weekend, folks, I really enjoyed meself.
    I’ll be back next year with the wife and maybe a couple of kids.

DezB
    Free Member
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

just got back. Knackered.

2012 event is the weekend before the bank holiday (25th/26th?)

There were a couple of suggested additions for us to review but i might encourage them to have a CCC, DDD etc rather than lose what makes BBB special.
    thanks to all who came and made the event. I found a field, charged you to ride around it and you gave me a great party weekend.

Thanks.

A proper ‘unofficial’ email will go out once I have had a bath and a beer.

peteimpreza

Soma_Rich look up pictures Saturday AM168, 172, 178, 28, 29, 41 and 42

nacho
    Free Member

soma rich – I know I didn’t win a prize, happily I didn’t miss the ethos at all, just curious to know how my time was thanks! 😕
    jason – I have two (4 yr old girl 3 yr old boy) and they were the same – loved the bales and craft tent, mrs nacho is going looking for beads on flea bay (oh they rode their bikes/scooty bike loads as well – just fantastic great to see so many kids riding)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Only 11 bales of straw were destroyed in the making of countless castles, dens, boats and walls.

The bales were put there by mistake because no-one was sure where they were wanted. I said they were for seating near the bar but by that time 20 kids were climbing on them.

Best mistake of the weekend. Definitely back again next year.

luke
    Free Member

Looks like a cracking event, shame I missed it, but there’s always next year.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, we both really enjoyed BBB this year, the vibe was perfect and having tried rain last year, I can confirm it’s better when sunny!

I was talking to one of the orgainising team (Sorry I was drunk and I don’t remember his name) and he asked me what I thought…. My thoughts were that it was just orgainised enough… Make it too slick and too perfect and it would knock the character out of the event. Stuff happened nearly on time, prizes were great, WCA soaked everyone, Matt got heckled, everyone drank too much, and there was something for EVERYONE! Brilliant, just brilliant.
    And to see the pump/gravity track as the legacy of the last 2 BBBs was ace. That’s what it’s about.

We will be back next year, 100% sure 🙂

That ‘band’ were weird – and the projected images were not family friendly!! We normally stay up dancing, but that band sent us back to our tents

Yes. They were, well, crap. I think their set got cut short…. There was a big cheer when they said that!
    Anyway, the band AFTER them ‘Black Circles’ were brilliant. I know about 1/2 the crowd had cleared off due to the other lot, but you missed a great performance, and the 2 DJs after them were great too, just 2 guys having fun playing records and mixing/scratching. Top stuff.

I’m now a Black Circles fan:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSXwqfKbvWQ[/video]

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Best mistake of the weekend.

Putting it back into bales wasn’t as much fun.!

Excellent weekend. Weather was spot on, the course was great and the mud really gave it something extra.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, 2 singles from Black Circles on iTunes….. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

My first BBB and I could only make the Saturday. The event has a great vibe and size, beeeeeer, fantastic for kids, free camping. We’ll be back. Well done to Nick and the team.

qwerty
    Free Member

Bloody good idea….

judging by SSEC2010 you have to win the right to host and that should have been done at SSEC2011

💡 great venue for a CX race though, i mean a “proper” one built around Nicks rule book, beer, fancy dress, technical course etc 💡

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

brokensoul – I’ll be back next year with the wife and maybe a couple of kids

You will have to crack on to pop two out in the next twelve months!

HarryTuttle

My wife’s asked if anyone who was filming my boy on Nick’s truck with the light up poi on saturday night could e-mail us a copy as we didn’t get it on film.

e-mail in profile.

Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Big Bike Bash 2011’ is closed to new replies.