Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Between Dartmoor and Exmoor….
  • Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got a week coming up in the area (somewhere between Torrington and winkleigh), where to cycle?

Suggestions please!

Mooly
    Free Member

Lustleigh – Hunters Tor anon.
    Haldon forest too.

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you want a scenic route then you’re not too far from the Tarka Trail.

OK it’s a cycle path but a great ride over to Bideford/Barnstaple/Braunton along the river/esturay well worth a visit.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

There’s nothing really worth shouting about around there. Sorry. The road riding is excellent though.

Best bet is to head over to East Dartmoor from there.

Clobber
    Free Member

Thanks, I will check those out Mooly,

Any advice for East Dartmoor sponging machine?

Clobber
    Free Member

Any more tips?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Hi. Live on East Dartmoor. We’re around 35 mins from Winkleigh. Loads and loads of decent riding in the area.

As above, there is a good route out from North Bovey to Hunter’s Tor, Nutcracker, Lustleigh Cleave and then back via Water. Check the OS map, but there is also a lot of good off piste stuff in the same area.

For more open moorland ride, there are a couple of loops you can do heading out from Bennett’s Cross near the Warren House Inn. Following is a good widescreen ride if it’s dry with a mix of XC and more technical stuff, and can be linked with the Lustleigh loop if you want a big day of it:

Bennett’s Cross > Vitifer Mine > Soussons Down > Golder Dagger > Challacombe > Headland Warren > Grimspound > Hameldown > Natsworthy > Jays Grave > Hayne Down > Hound Tor > back to Grimspound the same way or via Bonehill and Heathercombe and then back to start via Headland Warren

Also google the Stepping Stones ride out from Bellever. Again best attempted in the dry.

Further west, there is a decent loop out from Princetown to Burrator via the Widowmaker and back on the old railway line.

Clobber
    Free Member

That sounds good SJ, will have a look!

Mooly
    Free Member

What he said. Plenty on Dartmoor to tackle and have fun with.
    Haldon forest should definitely be considered. Good little trail centre with plenty of Off piste.

freeridenick
    Free Member

anyone got any gpx of these dartmoor routes? probably heading that way this weekend..

SprocketJockey
    Free Member
    crispybacon
    Free Member

freeridenick – drop me an email (addy in profile) & I’ll send you some GPX routes for Dartmoor.

freeridenick
    Free Member

cheers all for the GPX.

xc dartmoor and gawton uplift sorted…. 😛

ontor
    Free Member

you could try this; Yeoford to Ivybridge

freeridenick
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Had a great ride round the Cleave on Sunday. Really unique I though with the big rocks and flowy trails 8)

Monday we went to Gawton, weather looked iffy but rain held off and we had another awesome day…Highlight was last run of the day down Egypt, nailed it with a 2.13 😛

We were going to stay down but after 2 dusty days didn’t fancy a high Dartmoor ride in the mist and rain. we shall be back.

663sqd
    Free Member

Contact rob at Wildbike .. He runs weekends down there on both dart moor and exmoor and does guiding even if not in keeping with his advertised dates on the wildbike website. . Top bloke and knows the areas well!

lump

Anyone please drop me a file or two for Dartmoor/Exmoor ? pretty please 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Between Dartmoor and Exmoor….’ is closed to new replies.