• This topic has 67 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Better Call Saul
  • Pook

Very good again. Looks like he’s going to start being way more Saul this series.

Also, were there any Easter eggs in the graffiti in the shopping mall basement?

mooman
    Free Member

Watched 1st episode of 2nd series last night.
    Very slow. Hopefully that is just the base story line, and it will liven up soon.

Drac

Thought the last series was pretty good but slow at times. I’ll try to catch this one too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wee question, do I need to have watched breaking bad previously before BCS?

atlaz
    Free Member

Not really. It helps as there are a few nods of the head to Breaking Bad but I think they’re not so vital to the plot. I don’t know whether not knowing who a couple of characters are when they’re introduced in BCS would be a huge problem but my feeling is no (I can’t unwatch Breaking Bad to test the theory)

Pook

I like knowing what Mike is capable of from BB. But the real question, nobeer, is why would you feel you needed to deny yourself the pleasure of watching breaking bad?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just finished watching the first series on Netflix. I enjoyed it. It is quite different to BB in that each episode is a complete story in its own right but has various plots running through the series. I think there is a lot of potential to have more cross over with BB from a different perspective and it will be interesting to see if they do it in the new series.

BoardinBob

Not really. It helps as there are a few nods of the head to Breaking Bad but I think they’re not so vital to the plot. I don’t know whether not knowing who a couple of characters are when they’re introduced in BCS would be a huge problem but my feeling is no (I can’t unwatch Breaking Bad to test the theory)

I’d disagree. I think so many things would go completely over the viewers head if they hadn’t seen BCS

– the black and white intro scene
    – Tuco
    – Mike

etc. All key crossover elements that are pretty vital to the show

P-Jay
    Free Member

Enjoyed it, with a hint of disapointment – I really liked the first series, but like the first series of BB it’s slow burn, what I really wanted to see is Saul, not Jimmy – the first series seemed to draw Jimmy to a close – but this one pretty much starts exactly where the last one ended.

Saul Goodman is just so much fun to watch!

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d disagree. I think so many things would go completely over the viewers head if they hadn’t seen BCS

– the black and white intro scene
    – Tuco
    – Mike

I agree that it adds something knowing the characters but if you didn’t know them, wouldn’t you just accept them as gangster and slightly odd and increasingly useful ex-cop turned security guard and see them develop further as characters?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like knowing what Mike is capable of from BB. But the real question, nobeer, is why would you feel you needed to deny yourself the pleasure of watching breaking bad?

No way can I bring myself to sit down for that length of time (9 series is it?) in front of the box. Not really a box set type of guy, don’t mind watching something weekly but not massive sofa sessions.

BoardinBob

No way can I bring myself to sit down for that length of time (9 series is it?

5 seasons/ 62 episodes

holst
    Free Member

I couldn’t imagine watching BCS if I hadn’t seen BB. It’s a completely different show, enjoyable, but very slow paced. You know Mike takes a trip to Belize and Saul finds his destiny at Cinnabon, the fun is seeing how they get to where they’re going.

simon_g

don’t mind watching something weekly

Then watch one a week, you’ll be done by May 2017 😀

They’re 42 mins (a US hour minus ad breaks) so I found them pretty easy to find time for. If I’d have time for a movie I’d just watch 2 or 3 back to back.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I first watched it two episodes at a time while on the turbo – headphones. 3 sessions a week over winter…

Worth it in every way.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I enjoy the slow burn. The dialogue is really excellent, the camera shots and colour pallette are fantastic and Bob Odenkirk was born to play this character – he’s so damn likeable.

mcj78
    Free Member

I still can’t believe I didn’t get the “s’all good, man” joke in the name until watching the first series of BCS 😐

Houns

I didn’t get it until now

Now what does that switch do?

mcj78
    Free Member

Aye, forgot about that – maybe it’s a test & he gets the sack for “shenanigans”

StuE
    Free Member

There’s a series 2

DavidB
    Free Member

I think the switch was a test. Flips a light in the bosses office.

ocrider

Yeah, a test
    Hopefully it’s to see if he can be an untrustworthy bastard so he can be mentored in the way of all things Saul.

grievoustim
    Free Member

The switch was a call back/ call forward to the B&W flash forward at the start.

Jimmy now – can’t resist disobeying the sign and flickung the switch, consequences be damned

Future Jimmy would rather sit in the bin room all night then risk the consequences of disobeying a sign

Houns

Ah but maybe the result of him flicking the switch made him think about ignoring that sign, maybe the consequences were great, we shall find out

beej

The switch was a call back/ call forward to the B&W flash forward at the start.

Jimmy now – can’t resist disobeying the sign and flickung the switch, consequences be damned

Future Jimmy would rather sit in the bin room all night then risk the consequences of disobeying a sign

Exactly. And Season 1 early Jimmy may not have flicked the switch either. But Slippin’ Jimmy would have.

So he goes from dodgy con man to good’n’righteous lawyer to “what the hell” Saul and by the end of BB, he’s scared of everything.

ninfan
    Free Member

I took a more practical outlook to the issue of the emergency exit –

the sign said that “if you exit this door you will activate the alarm, and the police will be notified”

he’s not going to want the police asking questions/checking his ID is he?

holst
    Free Member

he’s not going to want the police asking questions/checking his ID is he?

Exactly, but he did graffiti the wall with “SG was here”. He has to hide as a corporate drone, but Slippin Jimmy is still lurking under the surface.

AlexSimon

mooman – Member

Watched 1st episode of 2nd series last night.
    Very slow.Good.

Hopefully that is just the base story line, and it will liven up soon.

I don’t mind it being lively in parts, but so far I rate BCS higher than BB.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just had to comment on what is turning into another classic series. In fact, its just brilliant TV.
    The writing is so good, and I think i’m routing for Jimmy more than possibly any other character before.

The fact you are already aware of the fate that will eventually befall him takes nothing away from the build up of suspense.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We’ve just started to watch breaking bad again on the back of this.

Just realised that the guy Jimmy was drinking tequila or whatever with in the bar (the stock broker type fella) is the same person who Walt shorted the car battery of on the petrol station forecourt in one of the early BB’s.

Wonder if that will become of any use later on?!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Im wondering how many links to BB I may have missed!

I think we are going to take on the BB catalogue again on the strength of BCS.

Drac

Mike is just starting to warm up.

BoardinBob

Mike is just starting to warm up.

Mike looks like he about to drop dead. He’s aged significantly!

slimjim78
    Free Member

yeah, poor fella looks like he’s melting.

Drac

It’s back.

funkmasterp

Argh! Just cancelled Netflix in favour of Prime and can only have one at once 🙁

somafunk

For the price of two pints or two shite coffees from costa Netflix is really quite affordable/justifiable

rone

Fantastic and genre defying. Loved every steady minute of it. Like someone has said – great characters that you are bothered about coupled with surprising plotting, and that New Mexico setting makes it irresistible.

lowey

Watched it last night. Absolutely brilliant. Worth the Netflix fee alone.

Drac

Sat down to watch it last night after my post but as I’d been on nights I nodded off so now have no idea what bits I watched and what was a vivid dream. 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Better Call Saul’ is closed to new replies.