Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best wheel bearing grease ?
  • flap_jack
    Free Member

Disappointed with bicycle stuff, I’m looking at Marine grease.

Anyone used anything like this ?

How did it go ?

Thanks

dmck16
    Free Member

Not a direct answer to your question, but, if there’s a JCB Centre near you then maybe look at what they offer.

Ive used their blue Special HP (I think that’s what it’s called) to pack out headsets fairly well. It’s pretty cheap too.

markpallister
    Free Member

I’ve usethe. Same blue stuff for ages ,no problems

SirHC

mobil xhp 222

cp

I’ve got an stx hub from 1995 era that is in daily use on the commuter and has never been serviced. It’s still smooth running with no play.

On that basis, and experience of recent shimano hubs, I’d recommend shimano grease.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Thanks. JCB special HP grease ordered.

@cp 1995 STX kit best Shimano ever made IMO. Dunno why they stopped making it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Late to the party but; Rock’n’Roll Super web grease.

It’s got a consistency of liquefied bubble gum, the idea being the stringy bits cling to the balls so they stay coated rather than grease getting flung onto the outer race.

deadkenny
    Free Member

flap_jack – Member 
    Anyone used anything like this ?

Stay-lube and if it’s blue, then probably the stuff Santa Cruz use (or did use), and that’s good stuff.

Most Marine grease should be fine, although I see warnings about lithium grease and seals, and some mention lithium but never sure if it’s just it has lithium derived stuff in it or it’s the actual “lithium grease” that’s the bad stuff.

Currently got a tub of stuff from a local boat and stuff shop. Just marine grease it said. Brown colour, so difficult to tell if grease is dirty or just normal colour, and has odd texture like it’s got grit in it, but seems to be smooth when applied and parts moving. Had no issues with it and great at keeping water out.

benpinnick

You’ve been bought it now but for anyone else reading this and wondering, Maxima waterproof is the only grease I would recommend. Its sticky, won’t wash out, works on everything from bearings to forks and even smells kinda cool too (Wierd I know). <10 for a tub that would last most people a lifetime.

flap_jack
    Free Member

You’ve been bought it now

Thanks, though, this is for an unsealed old hub that needs regreasing frequently, so I’m sure I will take advantage of your recommendations.

cp

Dunno why they stopped making it.

this is true.

probably because it lasted too well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ison used to sell a marine grease that seemed good. Shimano seems good.

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Late to the party but; Rock’n’Roll Super web grease.
    It’s got a consistency of liquefied bubble gum, the idea being the stringy bits cling to the balls so they stay coated rather than grease getting flung onto the outer race

Is that how it was marketed?

FFS, what is the centrifugal force on hub bearings?

**** all.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought a tub of Shimano fluorescent green Pro-Set grease back in the 90’s and it’s still the best stuff I’ve used. I’m getting to the bottom of the tub now so I’ve recently bought a tub of Motorex Bike Grease 2000 which looks very similar and hopefully will work as well.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Short answer: paper mill grease.

http://www.oil-store.co.uk/Mobilith-SHC-PM-460

trail_rat
    Free Member

kluberluffer HPHT white grease……

not strictly wheel grease but works fine in my hubs.

We use it to lube bearings in downhole tools.

$$$a tub so only get left overs 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best wheel bearing grease ?’ is closed to new replies.